which pickups are better for thrash? what do you think of emh hz?

cheers
Ibanez RGR321EX
Laney LX35R
???
Godawful muddy stock Ibanez pickups, and a handicapped EMG wannabee.
I say, scrape together some money and buy a set of Dimarzios (D-sonic, Crunch Lab, D-Activator for bridge, and I'm not sure about the neck pickup. I love the PAF for neck though.) or go active with a pair of Blackouts/EMG's.. you can't go wrong with EMG's for thrash, though for other styles, they are just bearable. IMO, Blackouts are more win.
What's your guitar btw?
Last edited by AbsenceOfFaith at Jun 11, 2010,
i dont have guitar. i cant buy dimarzio, dude.
rg370x: edge3 tremolo, inf3 infs3 inf4 pickups
rgr321ex: fixed bridge, inf1 inf2 pickups
Ibanez RGR321EX
Laney LX35R
???
INF anything is shit. RGR321 is the better guitar because Edge 3 trems are iffy, but if you're looking at pickups themselves.... both suck.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
INF3 and INF4 are probably more suited to thrash and they've got a higher output.

but I'd pick a fixed bridge RG if I were you, RG321MH or RGA42FM.

EMG HZ are not good from what I hear.
Quote by Mr.M
i dont have guitar. i cant buy dimarzio, dude.
rg370x: edge3 tremolo, inf3 infs3 inf4 pickups
rgr321ex: fixed bridge, inf1 inf2 pickups

you mean you don't have a guitar?
Hey, dimarzios don't cost a fortune. A pickup's like 80-90 dollars around here, hefty surplus included xD
Now, I've played the RGR321 a few times, it is an awesome guitar. Very comfortable and its made from mahagony. I think they are reasonably priced too. Your choice should depend on whether you prefer a fixed bridge or a floating trem.
thx guys. im going to buy an rgr321ex (maybe rg321mh)or art120 or rga32

what do you think of rga32 and art120? are there appropriate for thrash
Ibanez RGR321EX
Laney LX35R
???
Quote by Mr.M
thx guys. im going to buy an rgr321ex (maybe rg321mh)or art120 or rga32

what do you think of rga32 and art120? are there appropriate for thrash

rgr321ex is basswood and it has INF1/INF2 pickups.
RG 321mh is Mahogany and it has INF3/INF4 pickups.

I prefer Mahogany to basswood for Thrash, both stock pickups are not brilliant but are good for the price, I don't have much experience with INF1/INF2 but they are aimed for versatility. on the other hand INF4 is good but I found INF3 is a little bit muddy. (you might prefer to use INF4 all the time unless you're playing clean).

RGA32 has the new LOZ3 active pickups, they provide decent cleans when tweaked, but they also require two 1.5 AA batteries to function, they're high-output pickups so they should be good for thrash. you can also slightly extend your budget so you can get RGA42FM, it's basically the same thing, it has a thin flamed maple top, and a mid-scoop switch which should probably improve your thrash tone.

art120 is meant to be versatile, it's not as good as those guitars above (for thrash).

Remember that LOZ3 are active pickups, what's your amp?
im gonna buy a roland 20x
Ibanez RGR321EX
Laney LX35R
???