Poll Options
View poll results: Ibanez JS 1000 or Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez JS 1000
12 57%
Gibson Les Paul Studio
9 43%
Voters: 21.
Page 1 of 2
I've been looking to buy a new guitar and I'm torn between the two, they both look, feel and sound great...I was wondering what your thoughts on the two and which would be better/outlast the other...

ready, set, discuss!
Last edited by TTWG at Jun 11, 2010,
Ibanez = Retarded cheap import Chinese guitar.
LP Studio = Home made American crafted guitar.

LP Studio has far more range of play styles open to it than an Ibanez.

PS: This thread is an insult to LP's. If you are going to aim for true comparison then pit Tele's against LP that will spark some debate. An Ibanez just does'nt hold a candle to an LP in any way shape or form. Wait I get it. Yer trying to troll people?
Last edited by Stuntaxe at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by Stuntaxe

Sure you aren't thinking of the JS100?
Quote by Stuntaxe

dude the js1000 is a guitar made in the japan, not a cheap import. The ibanez would run circles around any studio gibson

@stuntaxe. are you sure you aren't the troll?
Ibanez rg770
Washburn x50proq
Ibanez rg7621
peavey 6505 plus combo
Boss Ge 7
vox satchurator
Cae mc404 wah
Last edited by budreiser1 at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by Stuntaxe

PS: This thread is an insult to LP's. If you are going to aim for true comparison then pit Tele's against LP that will spark some debate. An Ibanez just does'nt hold a candle to an LP in any way shape or form. Wait I get it. Yer trying to troll people?

I hated Ibanez until I tested out the JS1000
I guess Ibanez is good for shred tards. Alot of shred tards here so I guess Ibanez wins it LOL

Frankly if I want to shred I will stick to my Jackson over any ibanez and Pull the LP for real playing. I never could get my head around Ibanez the sound/tone is just to contained for me.

Believe me I have tried out plenty of Ibanez axe's but they never have grabbed my attention.

But case and point Ibanez = Cheap import ( From gook country/who gives a **** where) cuz if its not american made its not a musical instrument.

Hell even my Jackson is American made...
Why don't you people support American made products? Especially ones that are still good? Why give your money to gooks in foriegn countries that under cut quality craft manship at slave labor camps?
Quote by Stuntaxe

But case and point Ibanez = Cheap import ( From gook country/who gives a **** where) cuz if its not american made its not a musical instrument.

You have not played a JS1000 or seen one, I am guessing...my point in saying that is the two are very comparable
Quote by Stuntaxe
Frankly if I want to shred I will stick to my Jackson over any ibanez and Pull the LP for real playing. I never could get my head around Ibanez the sound/tone is just to contained for me.

Real playing huh? I didn't know there was a technique for fake playing.

As for TC, I'd go with whichever is most comfortable to you. I don't have experience with either exact model, but have found most Ibanez guitars to be more comfortable for me to play. This is all opinion though.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
No no I have played Ibanez JS 1000...
Jesus.

Honestly it feels like Jackson but definatly does not sound like one. Thin neck meh, so much for careful fretting, floating trem meh... Not even a real floyd Rose but a knock off system but aside from that welcome to the world of pain in balancing and set up with Floating trem.

I could go on and on really.
Quote by Stuntaxe
I guess Ibanez is good for shred tards. Alot of shred tards here so I guess Ibanez wins it LOL

Believe me I have tried out plenty of Ibanez axe's but they never have grabbed my attention.

Hell even my Jackson is American made...
Why don't you people support American made products? Especially ones that are still good? Why give your money to gooks in foriegn countries that under cut quality craft manship at slave labor camps?

Quote by Stuntaxe

Holy shit we got a retarded Gibson fanboi lmao. And for the record Ibanez Prestige are made in Japan. I'll let you figure that one out yourself.

Personally I would just get a Prestige S series Ibanez over the JS and the Studio because the price for both guitars is mainly in their names. If I wanted an LP I know of some incredible Japan import models (Edwards or Tokai) that are leaps and bounds over the LP Studio for the same price (At least in my own personal opinion). I don't care if people disagree with me, that's just how I feel.

Now of the two guitars. They're very different. If you like them both but are trying to save some money I'd say go for the Studio, but if not and you just want the best guitar for the money the JS1000 is way better, quality wise.
LOL look at all the gook gear grinders...

I have always prided my sound with 100% American made equipment from my amps to my axes. Guess the NU shred tards love teh gook gears and wonder why daddy has no job.

GOod luck.
Test out both guitars as they are very different

I'd pick the Ibanez JS1000 over an LP studio anyday, but you shouldn't do that without trying out both.

genres you are going to play? your favorite guitarists?

PS: any american-made guitar is by no means better than a Japanese made Ibanez, and for the LP studio ... I believe the JS has a higher quality.
Last edited by Tyraziell at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by Stuntaxe
LOL look at all the gook gear players...

GOod luck.

Yep you're so right. Japan is some backwards country with slave labour issues. None of the people in that country could possibly be professional luthiers. I mean not in comparison to THE GIBSUN! No, no, no you can't tell me that people actually USE guitars from other companies that aren't american. IT'S ALL LIES! You're telling us that Gibson will always be better than any other company from any other conutry just for the sole reason that they are american!

Dude you're a fucking racist piece of shit.
It's pretty obvious that Stuntaxe is trolling ... I wouldn't waste my time arguing with him.

but it's funny though ...

and TS should really try both guitars and give us more information about what he wants to play.
He said he has tried both of them and loved both of them. Though it is a good question, what kinda music do you play TTWG. That and what amp are you playing with currently?
I play everything really, 90's rock/metal, blues/jazz, a bit of classical style, and attempted solo artist style (satch buckethead primarily). I'm looking to xfer out of the school I'm at and take a break and study guitar theory for a few years

that is where i'm at

i play on a marshall mg 100w
No I am not a racist, infact I feel bad for the poor guys at foriegn slave labor camps that get no health insurance, no benefits, no retirement with incredible working hours whose only corporate master's goal is to under cut well made products on a global scale while avoiding the human responsiblity.
Some series Guitars are made in Japan but most all others are made in Ibanez South Korea, and Japan is not the most labor friendly country either.

But to boot I just do not support Companies that have taken thier business off shore. If you got any pride as an American and you are an American musician you play American made products... Duh.

It's really as simple as that. It's a matter of pride.

But go ahead support companies that over look human rights in manufacturing.
Infact their are alot of Chinese made Ibanez knock off's that pass for the real deal and guess what...
Those are bloodiest guitars on the planet, play with the blood on your hands, it's your choice.

Regarding sound tone and all the qualities of an LP, it's just my solid opinion of almost 20 years that LP's have a far wider range of playing and versatility, with the lowest amount of maintenance.
Quote by Stuntaxe
No I am not a racist, infact I feel bad for the poor guys at foriegn slave labor camps that get no health insurance, no benefits, no retirement with incredible working hours whose only corporate master's goal is to under cut well made products on a global scale while avoiding the human responsiblity.
Some series Guitars are made in Japan but most all others are made in Ibanez South Korea, and Japan is not the most labor friendly country either.

But to boot I just do not support Companies that have taken thier business off shore. If you got any pride as an American and you are an American musician you play American made products... Duh.

And...reported

TS: That JS will give you a wide variety of tones, not to mention they are extremely comfortable playing guitars .

Opposed to the LP which is a single cut that JS gives you much better fret access and a trem .

They're really different guitars, and I think you should think what you want more

Double cut / trem metalesque guitar
or a single cut non trem guitar
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Lol. It's as if Epiphone is okay? They totally have proper human rights where they make their guitars. Where is that agian? China? Oh wait.

Well whatever, go back to the pit Stuntguy, you'll get banned if you keep this shit up
Ignoring the retarded trolling for a second, I think this is sort of a weird question. I mean, the two guitars are totally different in nature. Other than both having dual humbuckers, they have next to nothing in common. Different scale length and neck feel, different bridges, different weights, different intended styles.

If you don't know which of the two you want, I would suggest some more time spent shopping and thinking about what you want in a guitar. Personally I would probably rather have the Les Paul - I don't like the Ibanez neck feel at all.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Banned for wut?
LOL, Cuz I said Gook? If these forums are that rated G, so be it I got better things to do than contribute to a Disney run forum.
Well, ignoring the guy several posts above

The JS1000 will be more versitile. You have coil taps, a floyd, better fret axcess, prettymuch everything a shreddy style guitar should have. I really like the JS guitars and I'd highly reccomend this one.

On the other hand, the Les Paul studio will give you that thick Les Paul tone that the JS wont get. Also, the neck will be significantly thicker than the JS. Personally I think the way Gibson is now, your better off getting the JS.
Guitars made in Japan (a developed country) = Blood Diamonds apparently

Anyways...Gibson imo are real hit and miss, some guitars can play real nice, others are pretty terrible. The Ibanez is a nice guitar and you can really do a lot more with it than just shred. Gibson also tend to have some tuning problems, and you would loose fret access, a double locking trem (if your into that) and not to mention the JS would just be a lot more comfortable to play imo. just my opinion, but i'd say Ibanez
Quote by Stuntaxe
Banned for wut?
LOL, Cuz I said Gook? If these forums are that rated G, so be it I got better things to do than contribute to a Disney run forum.

Oh no please don't leave this forum, you opinionated retard. Seeing as we've stooped to this level have fun with your overpriced "American Gibson's" then. We won't really miss you...at all...

Quote by TTWG
I play everything really, 90's rock/metal, blues/jazz, a bit of classical style, and attempted solo artist style (satch buckethead primarily). I'm looking to xfer out of the school I'm at and take a break and study guitar theory for a few years

that is where i'm at

i play on a marshall mg 100w

To stay on topic. Everything is a tad broad...

I'd get the JS, but you may be better off with a new amp first. Marshall MG's aren't exactly "great" If you're spending almost $2000 on a signature guitar you should have a good amp to use it through. At least if you're worried about the tone.

If you're not then by all means get the new guitar. Although have you tried some Prestige S series Ibanez guitars instead? You might find yourself saving 500-700 bucks for a guitar with the same build quality but not as great hardware that could be replaced and you'd still save some money.
Last edited by siverstorm at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by Even Bigger D
Ignoring the retarded trolling for a second, I think this is sort of a weird question. I mean, the two guitars are totally different in nature. Other than both having dual humbuckers, they have next to nothing in common. Different scale length and neck feel, different bridges, different weights, different intended styles.

If you don't know which of the two you want, I would suggest some more time spent shopping and thinking about what you want in a guitar. Personally I would probably rather have the Les Paul - I don't like the Ibanez neck feel at all.

No no, I agree that they are different, but I liked them both. I'm a guitar nooby when it comes to....everything guitar... I'm currently on an Ibanez GIO and its a piece of shit. so i skipped on down to guitar center and spent a day testing out everything. Gibson LP studio was the first one that felt and sounded great and was still in my price range. I decided to give the JS1000 a try just out of admiration of joe satriani (because every ibanez i had previously played was no where near the LP studio imo) and this guitar felt great and sounded great....for me its like chocolate and vanilla, they're different, but they both taste so good. thats why I tried to leave this open, in hopes that someone would say something that would sway me to pick one over the other...

Quote by siverstorm

To stay on topic. Everything is a tad broad...

I'd get the JS, but you may be better off with a new amp first. Marshall MG's aren't exactly "great" If you're spending almost $2000 on a signature guitar you should have a good amp to use it through. At least if you're worried about the tone.

If you're not then by all means get the new guitar. Although have you tried some Prestige S series Ibanez guitars instead? You might find yourself saving 500-700 bucks for a guitar with the same build quality but not as great hardware that could be replaced and you'd still save some money.

an amp is next on my list, I've been looking at Line 6 amps, but havent really given it much thought or time playing. i just need a new guitar that will last for a while.

and as far as price goes I can get the JS for around 1300 and the LP for about $1000, its an estimate but around that much, either way I have the money for either.

And i have not tried out the prestige series....I'll give it a test drive come monday
Stuntaxe, wow. Japan is a 'gook' nation with no regard for human rights? American musicians play American instruments? Pride?

I'm extra proud to be Canadian right now. For I haven't got to share a flag with your racist-ass.

Speaking to the topic, though.

Both guitars are so different that this thread is almost pointless. If it were me, I'd get the LP, just because JS' guitars don't do it for me. However, if we're talking RG1550M vs. LP Studio then the choice is obvious: Ibanez.

Anyways, I think what you really need to do is buy both. One's going to be lacking in areas where the other excels. The trem for instance, the JS has a wicked tremolo bridge while the LP's is awful; it's basically impossible to get any pitch change whatsoever. (lol?)
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Stuntaxe, wow. Japan is a 'gook' nation with no regard for human rights? American musicians play American instruments? Pride?

I'm extra proud to be Canadian right now. For I haven't got to share a flag with your racist-ass.

Speaking to the topic, though.

Both guitars are so different that this thread is almost pointless. If it were me, I'd get the LP, just because JS' guitars don't do it for me. However, if we're talking RG1550M vs. LP Studio then the choice is obvious: Ibanez.

Anyways, I think what you really need to do is buy both. One's going to be lacking in areas where the other excels. The trem for instance, the JS has a wicked tremolo bridge while the LP's is awful; it's basically impossible to get any pitch change whatsoever. (lol?)

1st:

2nd: lol.

3rd: I still think the TS should go try a comparable S series.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S5470-Prestige-Electric-Guitar?sku=518112

Srsly, the only reason the JS is so expensive is because it's Satch's sig. It's almost like getting an ESP KH when the regular ESP M series are practically the same at a significantly lower price.
Fair point to my fellow Canuck. There are guitars in the Ibanez lineup that will rival the JS1000 while costing significantly less.

It's also worth noting: If you're willing to go used you may be able to find an old Ibanez Radius (the guitar that became the JS) for dirt cheap. There was a black one on CL (in Vancouver) that the dude only wanted $250 for; it even came with a hard case.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I guess Gibson never made a MIJ guitar, and an Ibanez VS a LP is an apple vs an orange.

TS, it depends on what you play. And do you want a TOM or an Edge trem? Superstrat or Les Paul? Mellow pickups or more high output pickups?

I'm not even going to finish. That's how dumb this comparison is..
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I guess Gibson never made a MIJ guitar, and an Ibanez VS a LP is an apple vs an orange.

TS, it depends on what you play. And do you want a TOM or an Edge trem? Superstrat or Les Paul? Mellow pickups or more high output pickups?

I'm not even going to finish. That's how dumb this comparison is..

this is meant to a ''which would you chose and why'' opinion thread
Dear god I'm sick of trolls...

Okay, these are two of my favorite guitars. That's why I'm combining them and my Edwards Alexi into one guitar with the one I'm building.

If you play more rhythm: LP Studio.
If you like shreddy leads and will use the trem a lot: JS1000

Both have coil splits, both have great tone and playability.

The LP Studio is my ideal rhythm guitar, and the JS-1000 is my ideal lead guitar. I wanted a guitar with the fretboard radius of the JS1000, the sound of the LP Studio, the shape of an RR, and the versatility of a swiss army knife. Hence my build... Which I need to get started on again.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jun 11, 2010,
I don't like Ibanez, the feel or the sound. That is my preference and opinion. So before anyone responds with some nonsense, Ibanez makes a quality product that a lot of people like, it's just not my cup of tea and there is nothing wrong with the people who buy them and prefer them. It has no affect on the players skill.

However, a lot of people here bad mouth and LP Studio and call it not a real LP (how this is determined is beyond me since it is made in Nashville by Gibson). My Uncle has an LP Standard 2001, and I have an LP Studio 2010. You can see some differences between the hardware, and the LP Standard obviously comes with better (nothing you can't upgrade too though). I am sure the wood used is a better piece of wood too.

BUT

If I have him play my LP Studio and then his LP Standard, even other guitar players cannot pick them apart in a blind sound only test. It has real LP sound at a much better price, you will need to spend a few hundred to upgrade some hardware and the pick-ups and you basically have a killer LP.

If you like the LP sound and are not as metal oriented as others. The LP will bring you much happiness. I would say quality versus quality, the Gibson beats it. Sound is an opinion of your ears. Comfortability in playing an opinion of your body.

Take it for what it's worth. Next time avoid the versus style post. This forum is full of fan boys as you can see from above who have an incessant need to have a bigger ePeen by proclaiming their choice the best.

Try them both.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Quote by Stuntaxe

I suggest you actually visit the factory before you make these sorts of statements. There are a lot of companies out there that do that, but I can't think of a single guitar company that would. The quality of the instruments would be truly shitty.

While I admire your American Pride, I must say how stupid you are. Do you only buy forks and knives made in the US? In fact, where was your computer made? And where was your internet router made? (not your ISP, your actual router box thing)
In fact, here's a checklist for you.
Where was your:
Guitar cable
Guitar pickup
Guitar pick
Bed
Sink
Kitchen table
Computer speaker
Chair
made?
If you can't answer United States to all of these, than **** you. And never, EVER discount a guitar made in a foreign country just because of that simple fact. While I prefer my Gibson to my friend's Ibanez, I much prefer a number of OTHER Ibanez guitars I've played to mine.

Infact their are alot of Chinese made Ibanez knock off's that pass for the real deal and guess what...
Those are bloodiest guitars on the planet, play with the blood on your hands, it's your choice.

Again, see my rant against your 'Pride.'
I've got more pride for my sexuality than you can ever have for your damned America (where I was born and currently live, I might add)

Regarding sound tone and all the qualities of an LP, it's just my solid opinion of almost 20 years that LP's have a far wider range of playing and versatility, with the lowest amount of maintenance.

This has been your only legitimate statement. One that I do not entirely agree with, but still an actual, valid point to be made. Still, it doesn't make up for the stupidity in the rest of your post.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Just keep in mind that both guitars are very different. The LP will probably feel almost double the weight of the ibanez.

and yeah dont listen to stuntaxe or whatever. The good Ibanez' are made in Japan and are actually some of the absolute best guitars in there price range. Most of the RG's i'd say are actually worth double in quality what you actually play. But with that said Gibsons(my preference) are great guitars as well. You just gotta figure out which one you like better.

I prefer Gibsons but my first non entry level guitar was an Ibanez and even though it was a cheap RG it was still an all around great guitar imo.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 11, 2010,
^The standards are far heavier. Studio is a bit heftier than the JS1000 though. But I love both guitars passionately, and may very well own them both some day.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I don't know about the standards, but my LP Studio I used to own was seriously a dead weight. one of the heaviest guitars i've ever played. Hence why I switched to an SG.
Quote by Stuntaxe

Yeah guys, protectionism for the win! If a guitar isn't made in America, it's clearly a piece of crap!

Foreign does not equal bad. At all. Plenty of high end ESP's, Ibanez's and various other brands are made in Japan, and they are all very, very nice. In all honesty, I actually prefer American made guitars too, but I pity the fool that says American made guitars are ALWAYS the best.

BTW, ESP and (I think) Ibanez were started in Japan, so there really was no "outsourcing" there. If anything, THEY outsourced to America.

As for you TS, that's quite a spectrum of sorts of guitars. If you're going for more shred stuff, (Think Joe Satriani), you need a whammy bar, and you like DiMarzios, go for the JS-1000. If you want to do more bluesy and classic rock stuff, want lower output pickups, and don't need a floyd, then go for the Les Paul Studio.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I guess good ol American pride just can not be had anymore...

Anyways to the OP I would reccomend the LP, it's just a better guitar IMHO.
Besides if you are fairly new to guitar you will not be having alot of fun on a floating trem at all.

Once ya lose tuning or break a string or have to redo the strings on a Floating trem you will have a hard time gettin it back in order unless you know what you are doing.

LP is very low Maintenance and really with the time you will find that an LP is capable of a very wide range of music styles, more so than the Ibanez and LP can bust out some very grizzly tone that is incredibly signature and key to developing your sound and personality with the instrument. Can an Ibanez do that? I am not so sure really I just understand that every time I pick one up it bothers me as clearly the tone does not do what I like as a player. It's all in the pick-ups and all in the tuning and the wood.

In regards to Japanese made Ibanez it is a fact they outsource to China and Korea for Manufacturing, and as a whole again I would push one to buy American products over imports of any kind.

American workers need jobs and in the long wrong over stepping foriegn made products is the first step to helping American business. If you want to play to American audiences and please deep seated Americans your choice of gear is of the utmost because that in itself is a statement and shows where your heart is with respect to the times.
Quote by Stuntaxe
I guess good ol American pride just can not be had anymore...

-long wall of pointless trolling and misinformation-

Quote by kumamilesbear
I
While I admire your American Pride, I must say how stupid you are. Do you only buy forks and knives made in the US? In fact, where was your computer made? And where was your internet router made? (not your ISP, your actual router box thing)
In fact, here's a checklist for you.
Where was your:
Guitar cable
Guitar pickup
Guitar pick
Bed
Sink
Kitchen table
Computer speaker
Chair
made?
If you can't answer United States to all of these, than **** you. And never, EVER discount a guitar made in a foreign country just because of that simple fact. While I prefer my Gibson to my friend's Ibanez, I much prefer a number of OTHER Ibanez guitars I've played to mine.

I'll just leave this here.
Page 1 of 2