Hi, ive been learning to do pinch harmonics for the past month or so. Ive leanedthem pretty well and I can do them whenever I feel like it, but what I want now is for them to sound close to what Zakk Wylde does. If youve heard Zakk Wylde, youve also heard that his squealies have a wawa sound to them. When I do squealies, it sound like a normal squeal, and bending only makes bands the squeal like any note. I want to know if there are any effects or techniques to nail the wawa sound of Zakk Wylde squeals.

Ive searched the forums here and on youtube, but havent found any tips.
Quote by bustapr
Hi, ive been learning to do pinch harmonics for the past month or so. Ive leanedthem pretty well and I can do them whenever I feel like it, but what I want now is for them to sound close to what Zakk Wylde does. If youve heard Zakk Wylde, youve also heard that his squealies have a wawa sound to them. When I do squealies, it sound like a normal squeal, and bending only makes bands the squeal like any note. I want to know if there are any effects or techniques to nail the wawa sound of Zakk Wylde squeals.

Ive searched the forums here and on youtube, but havent found any tips.

1.Try and find the sweet spot
2.Use LOTS of gain.
3.Have you tried using alot of vibrato?
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Up The Gain... Find The Sweet Spot (Theres About 6 Different Pinch Sounds On My Strat And 4 On The Jackson)
And zakk actually does use wah quite a lot... For a lot of recordings he actually uses a wah with them in the studio and cause his bass is on like 10 on his amp when he uses wah with a harmonic for him it creates a really unique sound...
Also equip your guitar with EMG's, that seems to do the trick... On bullets new CD in the song fever padge does a pinch harmonic that sounds much like zakk wylde's... Padge uses EMG's same as Zakk Wylde... Coincidence???
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Up The Gain... Find The Sweet Spot (Theres About 6 Different Pinch Sounds On My Strat And 4 On The Jackson)
And zakk actually does use wah quite a lot... For a lot of recordings he actually uses a wah with them in the studio and cause his bass is on like 10 on his amp when he uses wah with a harmonic for him it creates a really unique sound...
Also equip your guitar with EMG's, that seems to do the trick... On bullets new CD in the song fever padge does a pinch harmonic that sounds much like zakk wylde's... Padge uses EMG's same as Zakk Wylde... Coincidence???

Actually, I have EMG's on my Jackson and stock Gibson pickups on my Les Paul Studio. The pinch harmonics sound so much richer on the les paul and are verty easy to pull off.
I can do pretty wide vibratos on that guitar too, but not on the Jackson.. But that might be because there's a tremolo on it.
play on .10s or .11s. you dont need lots of gain if your technique is good. people sometimes forget how much tone comes from what your doing with your hands and its not all the amp and electronics.

find a sweet spot, there are usually a few different tones for each note depending where you pick the string.
vibrato like a motherbitch.
Quote by CoolLikeSnakes
play on .10s or .11s. you dont need lots of gain if your technique is good. people sometimes forget how much tone comes from what your doing with your hands and its not all the amp and electronics.

That tone in your hands, it's called skill.
is there a certain phrase or lick, or song that you are referring to ? so I can reference & give a better explanation?

obtain a copy of Ozzy's "Live & Loud" double disc set if you havent allready.
I think there are approximately 73,472 pinch harmonics on that album - & they're all different. alot of Zakk's style comes from his incredible hand strength, technique and complete knowledge of exactly what he's playing - this is why he can throw in so many crazy pinch harmonics in seemingly supernatural phrasing....

When I heard that album for the first time I was just blown away by Zakk's playing.

As far as the pinch harmonics go - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?N=100001&Ns=P_Score|1&Ntk=All&Ntt=zakk+wylde&Nty=1&rpp=40

alot of the pinch harmonics he gets comes from sure, technique - but man - if you don't have the right pickups -the wah in the right place, you're gonna fall flat in that area for sure -

just play and practice - don't get discouraged by the fact that a pro guitarist has eq and tricks unavailable to us mere mortals. it took me 10 years to stumble across a "phaser" effect for my rig - and i was blown away by all the tones it explained I was hearing - but I never knew it was that specific effect that made that sound -
Last edited by StevieRayHalen at Jun 20, 2010,
does using his signature overdrive make any difference? i'm kinda facing the same problem too. but are you guys sure that wah can actually make a difference? if you rock the pedal back and do a pinch harmonic ,i don't think much sound can actually come out. cos if you rock the pedal on your heel, the sound sort of becomes ''muffled'' due to the bass.
Steve Vai rocks. His pinky is almost of the same length of an average 16 year old's middle finger.

I love Schecter