So ive been writing for maby a little under a year seriously, and ive done on and off poetry before this. But it everytime i try writing, its seems to come out, too metalish. Like the lyrics arent bad but they dont really fit the kind of music me and my friends are trying to or capable of playing. Any suggestions to change the sound of my lyrics? word choices or rhyming schemes that might help?
Do you have any examples we can look at?

Just from my experience, the theme of the song is what fits the genre the most. You're going to write more "angry" for a metal song, but not so much for a country song (for example).

Word choice could also affect it, but I don't see how rhyming schemes would...

What kind of genre are you trying to write for?
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
more like hard rock or punkish, stuff that is really all the technical playing wise because my musical talents are very lacking, must my stuff is rather angry i guess tho, thats mostly what i listen to i guess
Hard Rock can be pretty similar to Metal, just kind of tone down the "angry" in the lyrics a little bit, but don't get rid of it completly.

I don't listen to a lot of Punk, but Pop Punk artists (blink 182 and stuff like that) usually just mess around with their lyrics, and don't take it to seriously. Their lyrics are more "fun" and stuff like that. They also like to complain about society, and conforming stuff...

I'd say just start listening to songs in these genres, and listen to the lyrics, see what kind of stuff they're writting about.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Last edited by sites.nick at Jun 11, 2010,
alright, sounds good, thanks you guys
anything else will be welcome to