There's a thread down here that I saw a few days ago about pitch axis theory so I decided to learn more about it. I was wondering if what I've got attatched here is proper use of pitch axis theory. I just have a classical esque little thing that goes through the seven modes from "darkest to lightest."
Attachments:
pitch-axis.gp5
Quote by aCloudConnected
So if I just had a C power chord going under all of those it would be pitch axis?

Yes, except for Locrian mode, which has a flattened fifth. You could just use vamping C note in the bass, that's what makes it pitch-axis.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
Yes, except for Locrian mode, which has a flattened fifth. You could just use vamping C note in the bass, that's what makes it pitch-axis.

Ah, I understand now! Thanks to both of you!
Here's the layout for a portion of Satriani's "Satch Boogie."

Although it looks confusing at first, you'll notice the low A does not change.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

Don't believe that "lightest to darkest" stuff.

Here's an E Lydian clip that sounds darker than even an E Phrygian Dominant scale!

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/MikeD1/elydian.mp3

That's essentially and E chord with a B Major scale played over it (or E Lydian). NOTHING 'bright' there.
That was my thread.

Anyway, pitch axis is basically playing parallel modes. So switching from E Lydian to E Aeolian would be pitch axis. The chord played under the mode would determine which mode you should play.

So, in your C5 example, the C5 "chord" has two notes, C and G. So any mode in C that has those two notes in it would work over that chord.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by modem
so he is still using the pedal tone idea, what part of the song is this took from ?

Well, just the bassist is playing the low A. The guitar may not.

And MapOfYourHead is right, it's the tapping section.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw