Page 1 of 2
So I started out with a very crappy Rogue Lx205B 5 string Bass.

Then i took everything off it (including paint)!

Here's the back

Then comess.... MAGNETIC PRIMER!!!! (Yes that's a sesame street magnet on it)

Then i filled in the J-bass pickup slot since i only plan on keeping the P-bass pickup with a volume knob.
Here it is not sanded yet.

Then Here it is sanded

Then I filled in the knobs

And put primer on my headstock

I plan to spray paint it green next week!! What do you guys think? Green or another Color?
I just ordered new pickups off ebay a second ago. I'm still saving up for a soldering iron (I'm 13 and this is my first build/mod). I plan to have only a volume knob.
SO..
WHAT DOES UG THINK SO FAR????
well i say nice job mate. seems killer so far. now just add two feet to that top horn

if it was mine id do that regardless
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by Deadlock Riff
well i say nice job mate. seems killer so far. no just add two feet to that top horn

Yea I know an odd shape but the cheapest 5 string i could find a year ago.
It's not that bad besides pickups and the neck. I'm planning on this being my first refret job once i get enough money to buy tools.
Now all I need to buy is Paint, solder iron and related materials, volume pot, and then refretting gear.
Quote by salgala2000

Now all I need to buy is Paint, solder iron and related materials, volume pot, and then refretting gear.

refretting gear is 9 times out 10 gonna cost ya mate.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Deadlock Riff

Yes I know but I want to be able to refret other instruments in the future so I might as well get the gear and learn how now. I could buy a new neck for the same price as tools but I want to learn how to do it myself.
hopefully the magnetic field caused by that paint wont muck up the sound, but if all your cables inside are properly shielded i guess not?

Chur
Quote by Lightbluemk2
hopefully the magnetic field caused by that paint wont muck up the sound, but if all your cables inside are properly shielded i guess not?

That was the first thing i thought.
Assuming that it doesnt affect sound it should be cool
In a crooked little town,
They were lost and never found.
Fallen leaves, fallen leaves, fallen leaves,
On the ground.
Quote by Deadlock Riff

It's not that much.
$40 really, and the cost for frets
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
It's not that much.
$40 really, and the cost for frets

you better tell me where you're shopping mate

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Deadlock Riff

you better tell me where you're shopping mate

I didn't get to finish my post.
I got cut off by parents.

I'd say it's at least $60 if you cheap out.

I shop at Stew-Mac.
If you make your mitre box yourself(Someone made a tutorial on this) Should save you $100 for the overpriced Stewmac stuff.
Quote by Lightbluemk2

Nope. I tested it (beforehand) and it's all good
Quote by Lightbluemk2

.... "magnetic" primer is not really magnetic, they mean that magnets will stick to it.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
.... "magnetic" primer is not really magnetic, they mean that magnets will stick to it.

Yea because it has Iron in the paint.
Quote by the_perdestrian
id add a tone pot. I don't understand why people take them out.

It's all due to...
Hmmm....
I don't know really.
Why would you want to decrease your tonal capabilites?
Hmmmm... Ponder I must.
Quote by the_perdestrian
id add a tone pot. I don't understand why people take them out.

Because I always keep my tone pot on 10 anyways so why not take it out of the circuit and have my signal go through less if I won't be using it anyways. I'm a guitar player so I'm not going to be using this in a live situation only recording (unless my bass player wants to use a 5 string for a cover or such). In recording I will just EQ it to any of my needs.
This is pretty awesome, especially considering your only 13 (no offence)
I was thinking about doing this with my crappy first guitar (some strat copy) after I finish my speakers.
Just a bit of fun ain't it
Quote by ybselgo
This is pretty awesome, especially considering your only 13 (no offence)
I was thinking about doing this with my crappy first guitar (some strat copy) after I finish my speakers.
Just a bit of fun ain't it

Get to it it's really fun!
this is really starting to come together!
i know how you feel, my project is seeming to take forever to start at the moment. but i suppose once you have the supplies, you can just get stuck in.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix
Ohh thanks for bumping my thread (no sarcasm). It reminds me. I'm all done all i have to do is wire it and string it. Problem is I already tried like 8 times but i'm just not good with a soldering iron I recently saw the strat it looks good. In fact, im going to go try to wire it again now!!
yeah, i think wiring is going to be my main problem. i can solder, but knowing me, i'll screw it up :P still, i suppose its the only way to learn really isnt it?

cant wait to see the end product.
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix
If you suck at soldering, I suggest to you to simply train on a PCB you don't care about, or just practice soldering wires together. Practice for an hour or two and you should already be much better. If you feel like it, you can also follow guides on soldering. Most people would say it's useless, but it gives some tips that can be useful.

Soldering really isn't hard. After a few hours I was able to solder/unsolder processors and surface-mounted stuff.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by salgala2000
I know the soldering iron i have is good. Maybe the solder is bad? Its 60/40 rosin core solder which i think is the right type but it was like 1.50 for a tube of it on ebay. It's more than enought but idk if it isn't a good quality or if i just suck at soldering.

It can depend on various factors. What is the main problem you face up? Solder not melting fast enough?

Soldering depends on what you're actually doing. If you're trying to unsolder a component that are connected to a heatsink for example, you will need to run the iron hotter. Or if the solder joints are big. If the joints are small and you're just doing wires, you don't need all that much heat.

Here's a guide with some pictures I found;

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/solder.htm

Also, some people like to use solder that has more flux in it. This makes the solder and metal join better and faster. Such solder is usually easier to use.

As for the actual metal used for the soldering, I don't really seem to consider it a factor. Use more silver as it's better for health.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Spike6sic6
It can depend on various factors. What is the main problem you face up? Solder not melting fast enough?

Soldering depends on what you're actually doing. If you're trying to unsolder a component that are connected to a heatsink for example, you will need to run the iron hotter. Or if the solder joints are big. If the joints are small and you're just doing wires, you don't need all that much heat.

Here's a guide with some pictures I found;

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/solder.htm

Also, some people like to use solder that has more flux in it. This makes the solder and metal join better and faster. Such solder is usually easier to use.

As for the actual metal used for the soldering, I don't really seem to consider it a factor. Use more silver as it's better for health.

The main problem im facing is the solder not melting at all. If i touch it to the the side of the soldering iron, it just like evaporates(not evaporates but just like the "string" of solder gets shorter). If i use the tip of the iron, it won't melt, when i press really hard i just like make a hole in it. As in the is solder before "-" and here is solder after "- -". It splits it.

EDIT: Thanks for the link.
Last edited by salgala2000 at Aug 3, 2010,
Bad news guys. I think it didn't work.

When i plug it in, there is a lot of hum, but i don't have a bridge yet so i couldn't ground to it. Is this the reason for all the hum?

The volume pot works, because the hum get smoothly louder on softer upon rotating it.

Whenever i touch any of the little loops where on the potentiometer where the wires are soldered too, i get an extremely audible jump in volume of hum? Is this normal?

Also, when i touch my pickups the hum get louder. I don't have a bridge but i put a string near them and nothing changed. I also did this with a fridge magnet with the same results. However, when i touched the pickup with the magnet or string the hum jumped in volume just like when i touched it with my hand.

If i can't get any responses as to if it works or not here, I'll post in the wiring thread...
Thanks for helping
it's most probably because it's not grounded yet, when it's grounded if it's still humming then theres probably just something loose, easily fixable
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.