what methods do you guys use? it always takes me forever to learn the song, then eventually i get ADD and get bored with the song, and try to learn a different one. how can i learn songs faster? i mean, don't tell me, "dude, just practice." i never had lessons long, so i never really learned how to properly learn songs..

and also, how can i practice guitar, without physically having a guitar...cuz my amp is broken.. :[
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Quote by natehimself
and also, how can i practice guitar, without physically having a guitar...cuz my amp is broken.. :[

Practice unplugged.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Practice unplugged.

this, unless you plan on playing metal, which by all means get an amp!

the best/most fun way to learn a song is by "downloading" guitarpro 5 and then getting the file for it from the UG tab search.

it maps out the whole song, how it should be played/sounds, isolates each instrument, has a built in metronome and you can adjust how fast it's played

it revolutionized my guitar practice.
play, lets say, the first 10 notes as half notes and progressively play if faster and memorize once i got that down then i add the next 10 notes etc etc
Quote by Piano-Forte
this, unless you plan on playing metal, which by all means get an amp!

1 - I play metal and practice unplugged more or less all the time.

2 - I didn't mean never get an amp, that would be stupid, but in the mean time practicing unplugged is a perfectly viable way of playing.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

2 - I didn't mean never get an amp, that would be stupid, but in the mean time practicing unplugged is a perfectly viable way of playing.

you're an experienced guitarist, however people who post on this forum (based on their questions) i presume to be fairly new to guitar, so i dont expect them to have all the technique involved in muting excess string noise that is prevalent in high-distortion styles of playing
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

^ also helps playing with out the slopyness
Quote by kcorkcar
^ also helps playing with out the slopyness

+1
Quote by Piano-Forte
you're an experienced guitarist, however people who post on this forum (based on their questions) i presume to be fairly new to guitar, so i dont expect them to have all the technique involved in muting excess string noise that is prevalent in high-distortion styles of playing

I would place developing good tone, strong attack and solid fingering above muting. Some people may call me crazy and to be honest I would never say that you should ignore learning good muting technique BUT the others are more pressing concerns in my eyes, you can still develop a good solid soloing style without having good muting but if you have no strength in either your fretting or picking hands you won't have good tone and that will make the cleanest solo in the world sound dull and lifeless.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by natehimself
what methods do you guys use? it always takes me forever to learn the song, then eventually i get ADD and get bored with the song, and try to learn a different one. how can i learn songs faster? i mean, don't tell me, "dude, just practice." i never had lessons long, so i never really learned how to properly learn songs..

If you're primary concern is learning faster then you'll never learn anything.

Things take as long as they take, if you're constantly watching the clock and getting frustrated because things are, in your opinion, taking too long then you'll be forever giving up.

Change your attitude, forget about your timeframe.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com