I wanna broaden my horizons by finding new (to me) music. I find most 'metal' vocals a little over the top. Bands i enjoy are: (sorry for few m-core bands, its most metal)
Pantera/ Damageplan
Children of Bodom
Some Slipknot
Some Slayer
Trivium (i warned ya)
Testament
Danzig
Nevermore
Motorhead
Symphony X (genre?)
Rebel meets Rebel
All That Remains ...
As i lay dying...

Sorry again for 3-4 non metal groups in this forum.
I dont really like Down. Im sure it woulda come up.
Recomendations please?
Perfect idea for you, try using the rec thread.

It's there for cases just like this. A couple threads up, for real too.
Megadeth, maybe? Nothing off Risk or Cryptic Writings though, Cryptic Writings is more just rock, and Risk sortakinda sucks. My Last Words, Take No Prisoners or Five Magics, maybe? Mustaine's singing's not great on a lot of their stuff, but the guitar work's amazing on most of their stuff(not a huge fan of the first two album's solos, but the rest is great, particularly Rust In Peace).
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Symphony X is progressive metal. Check out Dream Theater, they're porgressive metal as well.
Quote by severed-metal
Perfect idea for you, try using the rec thread.

It's there for cases just like this. A couple threads up, for real too.

oops sorry. I didnt see it.
Ildjarn, Mortician, Esoteric, Boris, and Urfaust are definitely along the lines of what you'd like.
Exodus
Annihilator
Mastodon
3 Inches of Blood
Evile
Gojira (harsh vocals but really great songs)
Death

I'm not much when it comes to obscure bands or anything like that but I hope this helped some.
Quote by DimebagZappa
I find most 'metal' vocals a little over the top

Quote by AzureNight
Mortician

wut
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Exodus
Evile
Death
the 3 bands I like so far. And i have sampled at least 2-3 songs from every band.

I already listen to (but failed to mention):
mastadon, annihilator, dream theatre and megadeth.
King Zirconium! Your freaking awesome man.
Thanks for the efforts everyone!
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Jun 12, 2010,
Dark Tranquillity - Character
Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream
Children - Hard Times Hangin at the End of the World
Dark Quarterer - Symbols
Anubis Gate - Andromeda Unchained
Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor

Use the rec thread next time.
Grand Magus - Iron Will
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
The Lamp of Thoth
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Try this ripping band called Dødsengel too! The melodic vocals really complement the dual harmonizing guitar solos. And the drummer plays with 3 bass drums! Like what more could you ask for?!!
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by Deplorable
High On Fire - Death Is This Communion
As arrogant as that may sound, I don't want idiots to listen to good bands.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Dissection
Keep Of Kallesin
HellWitch
Deicide

Pretty extreme stuff, should set you on the road to bands like Origin and Meshuggah
Quote by webbtje
I'll school your metal head.

I always pegged you as a law guy. Didn't know you were into robotics too.
Quote by we_built_a_tree
As arrogant as that may sound, I don't want idiots to listen to good bands.

go **** yourself you ****ing peice of shit.
Quote by DimebagZappa
go **** yourself you ****ing peice of shit.

Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
"Go shit yourself you shitting piece of shit"

Does that sound right?

Oh! How about this?

"Go GAY yourself you MORAL-LESS piece of GAY"
Don't piss him off Severed, this guy means business.
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
Oh dear God no I think I shuold stop posting for a few weeks or so maybe even leave the country
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
let me think

Autechre - Amber
Aphex Twin - I care because you do
Silver Mt Zion - Horses in the Sky
Balmorhea - Balmorhea
The Blood Brothers - Burn Piano Island, Burn
Camel - Mirage
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame
A Northern Chorus - Bitter Hands Resign

Yes.... all fantastic metal indeed
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
For the record, Mahavishnu are excellent.
Quote by guitgrinder
all the bands I listed are fantastic ( blood brothers are debatable, but they are a huge guilty pleasure for me ).

Just good metal.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by AzureNight
Ildjarn, Mortician, Esoteric, Boris, and Urfaust are definitely along the lines of what you'd like.

Those bands are gay!

Not really, that's just the response I get from "true" metalheads every time I enter into the "are you really METAL?!!!" quiz.

BTW, I've been into metal since the days when your options were the Big Four (thrash), Black Sabbath, Maiden, Priest and Motorhead.

You might try them.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by ShredHead396

Pretty extreme stuff, should set you on the road to bands like Origin and Meshuggah

Why would you want to help pave a road that leads him into a soulless, gimmicky, fail-laden abyss of poor-man's metal?

Try these, TS:

Obliveon - From this Day Forward
Amorphis - Karelian Isthmus
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients
Dissection - The Somberlain
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Candlemass - Doomicus Epicus Metallicus
Sentenced - North From Here

Should hold you down for a while and give you an idea for the more melodic/technical elements of death/black metal as well as from a more progressive, harmonic and approachable standpoint.
I've found Jesus
^I thought you liked Mehshuggah...

Anyway, Tryptikon's album is beastly.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish
^I thought you liked Mehshuggah...

Anyway, Tryptikon's album is beastly.

I did like Mehshuggah. Not anymore. It's not that I hate them (that was mostly directed towards Origin), but they don't tickle the right bone(r) anymore. I always felt like they "transcended" songs, and that is true in the sense that they don't make songs as much as they make soundscapes which assault the listener in a repetitive and droning fashion. They do certainly have some interesting rhythmic interplay and 'very cool' leads on top of that, but at the end of the day I crave much more than that. If I want to be assaulted, I go for extreme metal because it doesn't sacrifice composition. It progresses (at least, the good stuff does). If I want to relax and be taken to a different world, then Dead Can Dance or Lord Wind can work wonders (or the ambient Burzum material).

In other words, Mehshuggah are talented at their gimmick, but at this point that's not enough for me. As for Origin.....I can't even be arsed to find the puking smiley.

And Tryptikon...I was so impressed by that album on first listen. I really thought it was the successor to Monotheist. Then I heard Monotheist and listened to Tryptikon again... let's just say I was confused as to why I thought it was great in the first place. I was mostly looking at the presentation, which mostly involved production and the trademark Monotheist sound. It was polished in a certain way. But, it relied heavily on something else I couldn't quite put my finger on. But it didn't progress in the same way in basic terms and thus wasn't nearly as rewarding from a compositional standpoint, and neither from a stylistic standpoint.
I've found Jesus