My 1st Post

Well the thing is that Ive been playing guitar for about 9-10 months. When got my guitar I got right away to playing. I downloaded Guitar Pro and started learning from there. I did learn a lot since I can now play some songs. But i can only play basic things, Power chords (songs like Blitzkrieg Bop, Iron man, Breaking the law etc. )the classics. songs that don't require much speed or exp. and thats pretty much it.

Now that Ive been trying more complex stuff there are some things that i don't understand. professional guitar things, or idk what to call it . i never worried much about that when i got my guitar i just got straight to playing. If i had gone to a music school i would've probably learned all this things but i couldn't afford it.

So basically what i'm trying to say is that i want to learn everything about guitar playing to become an advanced player. And what better place to learn than with the experts here at UG

Anything you say will help!
Thank you.
Buy the book called:
Harmony and Theory by Musician's Institute.
It's the theory book that I used that I highly recommend. Im not saying this is the best book and I'm sure other UG'ers have good experiences with other books but this is the one I used and is excellent... Happy Learning,
Salgala2000
Well, honestly, if you can, maybe you can try finding a teacher, because theres some things that you can only do with a teacher that you can't do online. Mainly technique examination, and having someone teach you irl.
Quote by salgala2000
Buy the book called:
It's the theory book that I used that I highly recommend. Im not saying this is the best book and I'm sure other UG'ers have good experiences with other books but this is the one I used and is excellent... Happy Learning,
Salgala2000

+1
or Download Lick Library harmony and theory basics.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
all of the books from the Guitar Grimoire Series.
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
ESP LTD Eclipse 1000, ASB
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Quote by Tanaboon
Well, honestly, if you can, maybe you can try finding a teacher, because theres some things that you can only do with a teacher that you can't do online. Mainly technique examination, and having someone teach you irl.

theres a lot of stuff books and the net wont teach you: try looking up "extended 13th and 15th arpeggios" or any alternative of that search: NOTHING.

the modal system in music was kept secret (sounds like a conspiracy :P) for years by tutors and thier students. if you dont understand the modal system, suffice to say it is key in music.

get a teacher, or inquire a LOT.

EDIT: its mainly jazz stuff, but look up a seires called the REAL BOOKS. the chord bible. every chord that can be concieved, without going too far, and the arps too.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jun 11, 2010,
Well i learned pretty fast with the notes because i played trumpet for a few years when i started guitar, so i pretty much got a head start. When i took lessons, i already had the fingering down. Also a good thing to do is learn scales and some pentatonic scales. i got all those down in a month with the help of a teacher. If you're wondering how much i pay, its $25 for a week for 30 minutes each saturday and i'm still taking lessons
The chord bible & scale bible helped me a fair amount. It may also be in one massive book.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
learn the 6 modes and pitch axis theory, from there song writing, harmonizing and everything on the theory side becomes a breeze, then you just have to build up your speed
I was in the same rut as you man, and I still partially am. I started learning the basic stuff first, like open chords, barres, scales, etc. I hit a roadblock for the longest time and I felt like things weren't getting better for my technique. I did everything from watching youtube videos to dropping lots of money on books and I just couldn't apply it. I sat down with a teacher for 2 months and our first session, his first words were "Ok, play me a GM pentatonic up and down using alternate picking. No hammers/pulls.", I said "No problem." Did it, he looked at me and said my "Your technique and posture is garbage, let's get started." After two months, I can do things I could only dream of prior. Getting a teacher is always anybody's best bet. Theory comes after you are comfortable moving up and down the fretboard with simple common things. Hope this helps!
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
I can do things I could only dream of prior. Getting a teacher is always anybody's best bet. Theory comes after you are comfortable moving up and down the fretboard with simple common things. Hope this helps!

Yes! i guess a teacher would probably be the best idea. Ill have to get a second job but im sure it'll all be worth it
Quote by salgala2000
Buy the book called:
Salgala2000

Ive just downloaded it and im getting started on it right now!
Thank you.
Quote by Vastros
all of the books from the Guitar Grimoire Series.

Steer clear of them, they're next to useless as far as teching you anything goes.

TS, wander over to the Musicians Talk forum, that's where you'll get answers to any theory questions. Also find any of Freepower's posts and go through the links in his sig, there's some good stuff in there. Also Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the Columns section.

Also ignore all the shite about modes that people are posting, they're not "secret" and they're far from essential - they're not really all that relevant in the greater scheme of things. You can look at them further down the line when you have a decent understanding of the major scale and diatonic harmony but for the time being it's better off ignoring them completely.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by Banjocal
theres a lot of stuff books and the net wont teach you: try looking up "extended 13th and 15th arpeggios" or any alternative of that search: NOTHING.

the modal system in music was kept secret (sounds like a conspiracy :P) for years by tutors and thier students. if you dont understand the modal system, suffice to say it is key in music.

get a teacher, or inquire a LOT.

EDIT: its mainly jazz stuff, but look up a seires called the REAL BOOKS. the chord bible. every chord that can be concieved, without going too far, and the arps too.

Holy Crap!!!! You must be awesome! An extended 15th arpeggio? You get one of those babies and you're sure to please a crowd of shredders. Guaranteed!!!

Modal system a secret? Its the key to music? What planet are you from? Do you, yourself, understand modes? Cos I sure as hell don't. It must be this conspiracy you speak of.

The Real Book aint gonna help much... nor will the chord bible... or the magic 15th arpeggios. You need other books. You need something better than Guitar Pro... You need to play guitar. You need to listen to music and understand it. Without your ears you are literally screwed in music. Birdman seagull gave some good advice... go with it.
I think someone's read one too many Dan Brown books....
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Surely Dan Brown's next book must have something about modes in it. He's already ruined all the secrets of Number Theory!

Okay TS this is what you need to do. First, go to this forum. This is where all the theorists hang out. Second, go to this site. It's interactive and everything is put very simply. Third, if you have any Guitar Grimoire books then throw them in the ****ing trash. I wasted so much money on one of those pieces of fire starter.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Freepower
www.justinguitar.com has great stuff for confused beginners. I heartily recommend my own vids and lessons.

yeah dude im really liking that website. I really loved the finger gym lesson, thats something i needed really bad xD thank you!