Hi, so I read a lot of threads about soldering, but no one really dumbies-it-down for someone that has NO experience whatsoever.

So I can't understand the Hell you people are saying lol. Solder to the GROUND? OK! Thanks for the advice, now I have to replace my hardwood floors! (Haha jk, but srsly, WTH is that?). Positive, negative? Sounds like a birth reading test... Hot, lead? Is the Hot a blonde color? Or brunette? More jokes but srsly... More faces here.

Anyway, so I'm looking at this diagram (full pic here)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_1t_3w

And I'm confused right here (a close-up w/ arrows)

A: What is that? A mini-wire?

B: Is that thing folded up onto the top of the slug?

C: That big black dot... what the hell is that? Is that wire soldered there too or what?

While you're at it

D: Whats "ground"?

E: Whats "positive, negative, lead, hot," etc

And please don't tell me "go to a professional." How am I suppose to learn how to solder by giving up? I want to learn, save extra bucks too, but I can't unless YOU gimme the knowledge that I need!

Train me, wise one!
a - that looks like the ground wire going from your pot to your bridge
b - yes that is supposed to be folded and soldered to the slug
c - thats just the connection thats where you solder the wire
d - ground wire protects from shorts i believe? not entirely sure. although i know if a guitar isnt properly grounded you get a shitload of static
e - the hot is the wire the signal travels through it should be the wire thats labeled black

normally on a pickup the outer wire with the casing shit around it is the hot and the wire thats not surrounded by plastic rubber shit is the ground.
Quote by rickyj
a - that looks like the ground wire going from your pot to your bridge
b - yes that is supposed to be folded and soldered to the slug
c - thats just the connection thats where you solder the wire
d - ground wire protects from shorts i believe? not entirely sure. although i know if a guitar isnt properly grounded you get a shitload of static
e - the hot is the wire the signal travels through it should be the wire thats labeled black

normally on a pickup the outer wire with the casing shit around it is the hot and the wire thats not surrounded by plastic rubber shit is the ground.

Awww okay. So the hot wire is just where the signal runs and that could be different colors depending on the company.

A: Which is the hot wire in the diagram? Black or green?
B: Why is the Red and White taped off and not soldered? I assume it has something with coil-splitting / 4-conductor wires, right?
C: Ohhh, so the ground wire thats connected to the actual bridge needs to be soldered to all of the slugs and the switch?

Thank you, I think I'm understanding much better now
let me try and answer, as im rather new to this too. so maybe i can teach myself more in the process

A: According to the pickup code chart from the mighty Ultimate WIring Thread the black is hot, and the green is gound.
B: Basically. if your not splitting, taping, or whhat have you, you could tape them, like the diagram shows, but with others, i've soldered them all together.
C: WEll, sort of. by grounding to the master tone in your diagram, then wiring the grounds from the other pots to the tone, that grounds em all. so basically your right!

i think im right. Seriously though, the ultimate wiring thread is your friend. if you post there, and no responses, just repost your question. and all those threads in the first few posts are worlds of help.

Good Luck
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
you should read up on some basic electronics principals eg. Ohms law, before getting in this sort of stuff it will save you alot of frustration etc.
Quote by abyssspecter
let me try and answer, as im rather new to this too. so maybe i can teach myself more in the process

A: According to the pickup code chart from the mighty Ultimate WIring Thread the black is hot, and the green is gound.
B: Basically. if your not splitting, taping, or whhat have you, you could tape them, like the diagram shows, but with others, i've soldered them all together.
C: WEll, sort of. by grounding to the master tone in your diagram, then wiring the grounds from the other pots to the tone, that grounds em all. so basically your right!

i think im right. Seriously though, the ultimate wiring thread is your friend. if you post there, and no responses, just repost your question. and all those threads in the first few posts are worlds of help.

Good Luck

Thank you very much. Everyone helped out a lot.

I'm new here and didn't know bout this "Ultimate Wiring Thread." I will go there briefly.

Thanks again, all!
Quote by bigscaryman
A: What is that? A mini-wire?

It's the bare wire coming from your pickup. You won't see it in a lot pickup diagrams because it's not actually an active part of the pickup circuit. What it does is connects the nickel and steel parts in the pickup to ground. If the nickel and steel parts inside the pickup are not grounded it can cause extra hum.

B: Is that thing folded up onto the top of the slug?

It's the 3rd lug on your volume pot. The left lug of your volume pot is what your pickup connects to. The right (3rd) lug is folded up and soldered to the back of the volume pot in order to connect it to ground. Your center lug is connected to a variable resistor inside the pot and when it's moved closer to the left lug (hot) then you get more volume and when it's moved closer to the right lug (ground) you get less volume.

C: That big black dot... what the hell is that? Is that wire soldered there too or what?

Thats about it. It's just to illustrate where the wire is being soldered to the pot.

D: Whats "ground"?

Ground is all the signal that is sent to the amp that you don't want to make it to the speaker. On a guitar everything that is supposed to be "grounded" is connected to the back of the volume pot. This includes the ground wires from your pickups, the ground lug of your output jack, the ground wire coming from your bridge, all the shielding inside your guitar, and the outside casing of all the switches and pots. Anything that might pick up stray signal that you don't want to come out your speaker is grounded on the back of the volume pot and sent to the ground lug of the output jack. When it gets to your amp it goes to the ground pin on your plug which is connected to wires in your house that ultimately get send into the earth. This is why it's called ground. Because it literally ends up in the ground below you.

E: Whats "positive, negative, lead, hot," etc

Positive and negative are not generally used when talking about pickups because technically speaking what wires are positive and negative change depending on how many wires your pickup has and how you choose to wire the pickup. Usually positive and hot mean the same thing. Hot and positive are usually the same thing and they are the signal that will make it to your speaker and produce sound. Ground and negative treated the same in your guitar and they are the signal that won't make it to your speaker.

Lead is another term for the wires coming from your pickup. They can also be called hookup wires. Lead is also used when talking about the guitar cable that connects your guitar to the amp and it can be used when talking about the cable that hooks your amp to the wall.