if i were to replace a TOM bridge, would that have a bigger effect on tuning than if i replaced the tuners? or vice versa?
just curious, mucho gracias!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
what kind of guitar are we talking about, firstly?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
What kind of guitar?
And also, In my opinion, the tuners. Unless you have a locking nut.
..I was watching my death.
a Les Paul, so i'd relplace the TOM with something Graph Tech, or id replace the tuners to like Schaller Locking or Sperzel Locking or something. maybe the Grover minis, i like those.
what would be the best Graph Tech bridge 80$ and under? cause i might come into some money soon, and then id be able to afford both.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
Exact model of LP?
Is it a knockoff? Gibson? Epiphone?

If it's an actual Gibson, check out the saddles, and see if they are sharp, and look like they can cut stuff. Also, the tuners may need replacing. I don't know enough info to come to consensus.
It depends on if it's a real LP, a knock off, and if it is a kock off then which one. A lot of knock off LP's are using grover tuners already. There are other brands, like rally, which use no name tuners that hold their tune just as well as grover tuners so you still don't need to replace them.

If your tuners truly suck then replace them 1st. If they are ok then I'd say the next step is to upgrade the nut. A TOM bridge that is sticking can always be smoothed down with some fine emery paper but its rare for the tom bridges to cause tuning problems... They are quite stable. The nut, however, is usually made of plastic which is really hard on your tuning and to make matters worse, factories tend to install the nut without adjusting it properly to begin with. Installing a bone or graphite nut and having a luthier file the slots won't cost much more than a good TOM but it should do a lot more to stabilize tuning and it'll improve your tone more than a new bridge.

So lets review.

Keep your bridge
Replace tuners if the suck
If tuners seem ok then replace the nut.
Quote by CorduroyEW
It depends on if it's a real LP, a knock off, and if it is a kock off then which one. A lot of knock off LP's are using grover tuners already. There are other brands, like rally, which use no name tuners that hold their tune just as well as grover tuners so you still don't need to replace them.

If your tuners truly suck then replace them 1st. If they are ok then I'd say the next step is to upgrade the nut. A TOM bridge that is sticking can always be smoothed down with some fine emery paper but its rare for the tom bridges to cause tuning problems... They are quite stable. The nut, however, is usually made of plastic which is really hard on your tuning and to make matters worse, factories tend to install the nut without adjusting it properly to begin with. Installing a bone or graphite nut and having a luthier file the slots won't cost much more than a good TOM but it should do a lot more to stabilize tuning and it'll improve your tone more than a new bridge.

So lets review.

Keep your bridge
Replace tuners if the suck
If tuners seem ok then replace the nut.

Agreed. Get some nice locking tuners.

Timbit, Guitars with TOM bridges don't use locking nuts.
Quote by Schism1985

Timbit, Guitars with TOM bridges don't use locking nuts.

I've seen it before.
For some odd reason the guy put a locking nut with a TOM. I was extremely confused, he said it's because of some wier bending thing he does. I didn't believe him.
Quote by timbit2006
I've seen it before.
For some odd reason the guy put a locking nut with a TOM. I was extremely confused, he said it's because of some wier bending thing he does. I didn't believe him.

That's... interesting. Let me rephrase that statement then:

TOM Bridges don't need locking nuts.
Well if you've changed string gauge, modify the nut. When you tighten the strings, and you can hear an odd pinging noise, you need to make the size of the spacing larger. Changing it to a different material, or lubricating the nut can also help. I've found that the nut is the cause for most tuning instability. Even cheap decent tuners (like squier, etc) don't need to be replaced really. Most instability comes from unnecessary friction, which is also at the bridge. Roller/lubricated saddles do well too.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!