hey UG my cheap cables are messing up and I have been looking into buying some new cables. My question is which cables last the longest? I am aware of monster cables and their lifetime warranty, but I want a cable that will last a long time without crapping out out on me, the warranty would be a bonus but not required. I am also looking to buy some patch cables as well so could I get some suggestions on some cheap(under $50 a piece) that will last me for a while before I have to return to the store?
I personally use planet waves because there a really strong cable but arn't too expensive aswell. But with a budget of 50 dollars for a cable you could probably do much better.
But seen as i've had good experience with planet waves, ill recommend them for sure.
Stay away from fender cables.
Gear

Ibanez J custom 8420ZE
Ibanez RGA42
Ibanez RG550
RG3120 Prestige

Framus cobra
For me, I go with monster. I don't have a huge budget and monster has some low end deals. I did it because they sound good, lifetime warrenty, and at guitar center (or at least mine) I can bring it the cable any time and "upgrade" to another one. No receipt or box or anything. You just pay the difference. It's really convientent.
My cable is a local store brand, but another company that starts with "R" makes them.

Good cables: Higher gauge (thicker), gold jacks. <-- these are just two criteria i know that help with sound and durability.

For 50 bucks you could get a great cable, just know this; the longer the cable, the more susceptible it is to damage.

Also: You should keep your application in mind, if you're going to record with the cable, I'd get no longer than 15-20 feet, the shorter the better for recording.

If you need it for rehearsal/live, then obviously go as long as you want. For me, the trick is that happy medium in which I got a 20 foot cable.

Hopefully this helps?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Gold jacks are a rip off. There are no sonic benefits whatsoever unless every contact in your signal path is also made of gold. TS, I'd go to LavaCable.com. They're reasonably priced and hand made. I'd suggest their Mogamis if you want to stay fairly cheap.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^ it came down to a cable with standard or gold jacks for the same price, so i just took the gold ones
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Not too bad then. It's just when brands charge you $30 extra for them it's ridiculous as gold plated jacks are $1 more than plain nickel ones.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Any decent cable will have a lifetime warranty on it... That said, Monsters are ubiquitous so you can pretty much walk into any Guitar Center and come out with a brand new Monster cable, no questions asked. That also said, Monster cables aren't the best quality cables you can get.

I'd go for Mogami cables, OP.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Monster cables are very good and have a good warranty. Mogami cables are also very good. The Platinum series is their best but is on the expensive side. The Mogami Gold series is probably a better choice all around. A lot of people like Planet Waves cables for budget stuff. DiMarzio makes a number of high-end signature cables - the Steve Vai is supposed to be an excellent cable.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
My local music store stocks some Switchcraft cables with their logo printed on it. They are relatively cheap, and last years for me
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I just buy my local store's cables. Maby not quite the same construction quality as Monster cables but I know how to keep care of my cables and they sound just fine. My soldering iron is my warranty.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Pantera95
I personally use planet waves because there a really strong cable but arn't too expensive aswell. But with a budget of 50 dollars for a cable you could probably do much better.
But seen as i've had good experience with planet waves, ill recommend them for sure.

Why stay away from fender? When I bought a guitar and my amp (something like a year and a half ago now) the guy at the shop threw in a long, purple fender cable and I would consider it the best cable I've ever had. No problems from it at all while some of my others started to cut out. Granted all of my other cables are... I don't even know, some generic no-name something... *shrug*
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
The best sounding cables and the longest lasting cables are not the same thing. I'm a huge fan of Klotz Lagrange cables but they break pretty easy. The most durable cable I've ever owned is planet waves. My planet waves cable has served me faithfully for 7 years now and I've never had so much as a crackle from it, however, it doesn't have the good tone quality that many of the more fragial cables have.
Quote by VVolverin3
Why stay away from fender? When I bought a guitar and my amp (something like a year and a half ago now) the guy at the shop threw in a long, purple fender cable and I would consider it the best cable I've ever had. No problems from it at all while some of my others started to cut out. Granted all of my other cables are... I don't even know, some generic no-name something... *shrug*

I owned a few when I first started and they all crapped out in a week.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by CorduroyEW
The best sounding cables and the longest lasting cables are not the same thing. I'm a huge fan of Klotz Lagrange cables but they break pretty easy. The most durable cable I've ever owned is planet waves. My planet waves cable has served me faithfully for 7 years now and I've never had so much as a crackle from it, however, it doesn't have the good tone quality that many of the more fragial cables have.

+1

i've had my planet waves cables for about a decade, brought them on tour for a few summers, et and have never had any issues, but they're definitely not the best sounding cables ive ever heard.

they're good enough tone-wise for me though, and reliability is the most important thing for my scenario, so I stick to them everywhere but the studio. there we use mogami cables, though tbh, they're like 2-3 times the cost and a marginal improvement...
Recabling my setup in Live Wire was the best decision since buying my first guitar.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
my suggestion, make your own - fix them yourself

find an online dealer where you can get a spool of cable and some 1/4" plugs - very minimal soldering skills required

most of the problems with cables (assuming the actual cable itself is of DECENT quality- which most are) is actually at the solder joints at the plugs at each end

cable is cheap, plugs cost significantly more - if the cable craps out, keep the plugs for another day

a couple good plug brands - neutrik & switchcraft
Last edited by infectedmusicac at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by justinb904
I just buy my local store's cables. Maby not quite the same construction quality as Monster cables but I know how to keep care of my cables and they sound just fine. My soldering iron is my warranty.

+1

To TS, there's a special on musiciansfriend (stupid deal of the day) for Horizon shrink wrapped cables, seems like a good deal to me (10ft for $5.99).
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
When cables are crapping out it’s often just because the connection has broken at the end where the wire is soldered to the plug. If you get serviceable cables (the kind where the end screws together) you can just unscrew it and re-solder the joint, or if it’s too damaged, just cut a little off the end, strip it, and solder on a fresh connection. It’s much less expensive than wasting $50 on a $15 cable because it comes in a fancy clamshell box.
Quote by jpnyc
It’s much less expensive than wasting $50 on a $15 cable because it comes in a fancy clamshell box.
But... I like fancy clamshell boxes, throw a piercing in there, maybe a little trim of the hedge
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Pantera95

What's wrong with them?

Iv'e had two of them for six and they haven't broke and they don't add any noise from my experience with them.