Page 1 of 2
Howdy
This has been a long time in the making, and will include items since my last summer ngd
I wont bore you guys with words for now so here are the pics and the items

Maxon OD-9

Roland Fantom X8

M Audio Profire2626

Sterling Audio ST-79

Rode NT-5 Matched Pair
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jun 19, 2010,
cont

ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2.0

KRK Rokit 6 Gen 2 Pair

Shure Sm7b

Splawn Nitro Head

Words Time!

So first up ill do a review of the thing I got first,

I got this little gem at the end of last winter on an impulse buy. I went to GC to try out things before I went off to university for spring semester, when I saw this little guy in the corner, so I bought it. I already had a ts-9 and OCD so I wasn’t ready to be wowed, but wow I really dug it. I had always liked my ts-9 but I thought it lacked something, well this replaced that something with the umph. When I plugged this guy in on channel two of my Mark IV I was amazed. My OCD doesn’t even get used anymore, but its there for my Blackstar…

Next up the wonderfully amazing Roland Fantom X8. Anyone whose been lurking in the WTLT thread and stalking my profile for mp3 will know about this big guy. This keyboard workstation blows me away every single time I play it. It’s amazing the sound quality of this thing and the array of sounds. The weighted key action was what got me. I was originally in the market for a digital piano of sorts, but all the good sounding ones were well a coupe grand, and for that price I would rather buy a baby grand. Well upon trying its big brother(the Fantom G8), I knew I had to get a fantom for my needs. In my profile are demos I have done of it. Check them out for yourself and make a decision. Best part Is I got it for 1200, which was steal of a deal for a mint Fantom X8. I had bought two other roland keyboards since then but they have been sold, but im currently trying to buy a Fantom G6 later on to have as well a gig keyboard and a little more “desk” friendly, since the X8 takes a double braced stand to hold it up.

The next item up is the audio interface known as the M-Audio Profire 2626. Firewire connectability, octane pre amps and a total of 26 in and outs. I got this guy for “steal” 500 bucks from MF. Yay for buying used off MF and using 15% off deal! Now my time with interface has been a blessing and a curse. The blessing, finally an interface without a broken phantom power (my ux2 phantom power crapped out on me), and incredible sound quality with the preamps and all the ins and outs. The bad, my firewire card on my computer sucked immensely. So I had to buy a TI chipset card to make it work. Other than that everything works fine and great. I would recommend this guy 100% for a 500+ budget

Now its story time, I have been downgrading my current rig because, well look at its old size it was too much stuff. Within that time period I have sold two amps, and one guitar to fund studio gear and new amplifier(s).

The next item up is the wonderful LDC, ST-79. This was the first condenser I owned, but I have used various in the past such as AKG414’s, AKG 451’s, Neauman 184’s. Trying it out for the first time my initial impressionwas, WOW. Its no surprise why Ryan(Catharsis Studios) praises this thing. Its an immense sounding microphone. They used to sell for 800, and GC/MF had them on clearance for 300. I got this one off E-bay for 180 usd. Worth that and more. It a very clear sounding mic, with a very present bright high end on some stuff. Wonderful.

Rode NT-5’s are next. Part of any home studio these things are recommended for a reason. They’re really amazing for acoustic stuff. And work surpassingly well for vocals. I only had a brief chance to try them out for overheads in comparison to AKG451’s, but it wasn’t that much worse than the AKG’s. Great set of mics. Got it for 300 at GC during a sale and some other snafus.
Next up is Superior Drummer: This was bought on an impulse from GC for a cool 150 dollars on the same trip as the Rode trip. Toontrack was having a rebate for halfoff products( and still is) so I thought what the hell ill buy it. Problem one, GC forgot to give me installation CD, so I spent two weeks trying to get GC to give me the CD. Eventually they did. The difference between the bare bones SD and full on SD is night and day. Great sound samples, and blows EZ drummer out of the water. For the price I got it for it is the best drum sample software. The small problems people have with it,IE the bass drum sound can be fixed with a bit of EQing and time with the program. I’m not going to lie I haven’t spent too much time with it due to projects, work and finals, but it has huge potential.
Shure SM7B time! This wonderful little guy was bought on a C-List excursion for a cool 210 bucks. With a frequency range of 20-20khz it is very responsive for a dynamic mic. Mostly used for vocals this mic gets the job done for a wide array of vocals. Being a dynamic mic, it can be used for loud sounds that other vocal mics cant be used for such as drums and amps. This puppy needs a ton of mic preamp gain to get it to be responsive but once its ready its ready to do its job. In comparison to the ST-79, the shure mic is a little well flat and not as “dynamic” to sounds but for more aggressive vocals this mic can get the job done. Well worth the money
Rokit 6’s: Monitors. They get the job done. Compared to normal speakers you can hear so much more low and high end and can do very well for mixing. Bought them for a 250 as a pair on ebay. I had a pair of rokit 8’s but due to size and food budget concerns(college kids got to each during finals yo) during finals they were sold.
Splawn nitro time!

Second one within the last month to be on UG. This thing is well….****ING AMAZING. I got it for a cool 1400 on an ebay auction. Got this champ delivered to me at a hotel where im staying due to work. I can imagine the front desk lady’s face now when this thing came in. It has been torture though. Since I am not home, I lacked a cab to try I out for a while. However, being the resourceful guy I am, I hit the 4 GC’s within the metroplex area to try it out with different cabs and heres the review of it containing some of the review I did last summer for it when I A/B’ed with my old Mark IV

Cleans: Both had about the same level of clean. Which is well great. The Splawn’s clean is a little different and not really my style though(lack of mid knob makes me rageeeee a little). The Mark’s cleans are very “bassy” without being muddy, which made it perfect for jazz playing and jazz ballad playing. The Nitros are more bright and actually a lot more like my old JSX’s clean, mixed with mark which were not bad, just not my style. Still one of the cleanest sparkly clean channels of any amp i've played which is saying something

First OD Channel: Nitro slays the Mark IV, and its not even fair. This thing has oodles of gain on this channel without being fizzy or muddy. It can go from light ACDC crunch to 80’s hair metal no probs without a boost. The Mark’s lead channel was about the same level of gain. But again these amps are differently voiced. Both amps have an incredibly aggressive sound with a giant punch to the face with its level of Mids. Yet they sound completely different. The first OD on the mark was a really really light crunch that when engaged with a boost sounded great( think one channel amp cranked). The Nitro needs no a boost here, but sounds great with one to further tighten it up.

2nd OD channel. Ah here we enter the sudden death elimination round. The Nitro lives up to the hype of being one of the amps with the most gain on tap. Its immense sounding, without being to overbearing. It fits nicely in a mix as a lead or rhythm( I prefer a boosted OD1 for lead though ha). Compared to the lead on the Mark IV though its about well equal. The Mark has a more aggressive voice and with the GEQ on, it’s a killer. However, the Mark IV lacks the gain to back up some of the punch, so without a tube screamer getting it to Muhamad Ali forceful punch it wouldn’t do some super higher gain stuff by itself. The Nitro can do higher gain stuff by itself, but I usually prefer to still use my tube screamer to get there to keep the aggressive punch there. So the winner here? Depends. Without the GEQ, the Nitro is a better amp I think. With the GEQ they are about equal with the Mark having a small lead due to aggressive nature and the GEQ on it pure effing win. But make no mistake the Nitro is no push over, and competes and exceeds against other amps in its price range

Bad thing about this amp? It has some cosmetic wear but meh. Also one of the power tubes starts to glow blue after standby is turned off, so i need to retube this sucker and rebias it. I need to rebuy my biasing stuff though since my last amp was a fixed biased

Cab pairings with Nitro?

Here’s the kicker, all the cabs that had V30’s that I tried, Rectos and such, did not that that hot with the Nitro. Funny because V30 loaded cabs are the cabs for metal playing. However , they all sounded honky and harsh which is a complain I voiced with my Mark IV because of mid voicing in both amps. With as Splawn 2x12, the amp sounded great, but I am unaware as to what speakers they were. The next cab that sounded great was a Marshall 4x12 loaded with GT-75’s. No ifs and or buts, sound great. The cab that sound the best in the stores was a Krank 4x12. My god with that cab the amp sounded immense, and it was hard to get a bad sound out of the amp.
Final:

overall: starting from the purchase of the profire and ending at the rokits, I spent about 1600 usd on studio gear for stuff that’s worth about 2500 new. Not bad buying used eh? I saved 800 on the Fantom so throw that there to and tis win. Throughout this I lost a Gibson Flying V, Peavey JSX and Mesa Boogie Mark IV. The Flying V and JSX funds paid for all the studio gear as it netted me around 1600 usd. And the mark IV sold for a grand total of 1400, paying for the Nitro. Overall only paid out of pocket for the fantom and maxon. Not a bad year since last july eh fellas. Anyways enjoy the pics and clips, and thanks for reading through the review. Expect a massive NAD in late July. MS has got a little prize brewing!

Nitro Clips:

It is 9 PM here and i just got home from my work so clips will be until tomorrow or sunday as tomorrow is party time. Excellent.

Special thanks to CatharsisStudios, Chrism3006, and Mclaw for help choosing gear
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jun 11, 2010,
TL;DR

jk Juarez, sweet stuff,, I wish I could grab some decent monitors,,, and a matched pair of Rodes?
FINALLY!!!

Will read in a bit, going to get Mexican foooooooooooooooooooD!!!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Damn! Nice spread you got there!

Superior 2.0 is ridiculously awesome. And that SM7 is a killer vocal mic. Then you got the Splawn and all the other stuff...awesome!
Sweeeeeeet gear man, wish I could be there to hear it
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

umm where's the cab man. I think your head is too big for the cab.

It would be much better if you flipped that his upside down and put the cab on top of the head.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Completely... Epic...

HNGY!

(no, not Hungary, silly goose)
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by rokket2005
TL;DR

jk Juarez, sweet stuff,, I wish I could grab some decent monitors,,, and a matched pair of Rodes?

ha derek told me about that so i fixed it

Thanks Guys.

Would you believe i wrote this out all the way up till the nitro part before i got the nitro? The nitro part has been a work in progress since then.

Sounds sick with my mesa cab. Ill try to get clips up tomorrow, but no promises. I gotz parties. If not up by sunday 2PM CST, then no clips will be up until july 4th weekend
Badass, I want to hear me some Nitro clips
IIRC, Splawn cabs have custom speakers which are quite similar to GT-75's which is probably why it sounded good with the Marshall cab.
edit: nope, similar G12M or G12H30's, as a speaker noob I'm not sure how these compare

Anywho, HNGY!
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
umm where's the cab man. I think your head is too big for the cab.

It would be much better if you flipped that his upside down and put the cab on top of the head.

Nah holmes it looks good in person. Especially with my make shift pedal board of sytofoam. Tackyiest looking rig ever!

IIRC, Splawn cabs have custom speakers which are quite similar to GT-75's which is probably why it sounded good with the Marshall cab.

thanks dude. And the speakers in splawn cabs are modded Eminence, so manowar and texas heats
HNGY!!!
NT-5s are great for acoustics, I've just recorded a song (not me playing) with an NT-2 over the body of the guitar pointed at the soundhole and an NT-5 over the neck, pointed at his hand, sounds great! Its really great for getting a good bass/treble mix on the guitar.
Last edited by littlephil at Jun 12, 2010,
You have my dream amp... Splawn nitro... pic just gave me an eyegasm
Where's Waldo?
So i opened up the splawn and it turns out it came with KT88's...So my spare tubes are useless and this is kind of surprising since i thought it would come with el34's( the ad didnt specify so i was like wtf). The pre amp tubes where some chinese labels 12ax7b tubes so i replaced them with JJ EC83s and a JaPhilips 12AT7 so im not sure how it will sound until tomorrow when cranked but every still sounds good on low. I moved around the blue glowing tube to the outside since im running it on halfpower(disconnected the outside tubes) so no more blue glow in the middle...
you like those rockit 6s? I have the special red ones. which are special. and red. and therefore more awesome.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Finally read it - Told you the Krank cabs sound ****ing awesome with the Nitro, my 1960 sounded great with it as well, one of the few times I'd recommend a Marshall cab
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i love my st-79, that thing is a fantastic mic. ryan convincede me to buy one too paired with the profire, such a great setup.

nice gear for the year
Congrats, great set up right there.

you should get a guitar now.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
sickk dude, completely sickkkkkkkk
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
sweet!

I think krank cabs are solid wood (poplar?), so if you like that tone, that might be part of it. Also eminence speakers, i think.

isn't that an od808, not od9?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet!

I think krank cabs are solid wood (poplar?), so if you like that tone, that might be part of it. Also eminence speakers, i think.

isn't that an od808, not od9?

/ whoops didnt catch that. Cant believe i missed it.
The speakers where the main thing. The general consensus was that V30's and mesa v30's did not sound awe-ing. the other cabs did for the most part.
i dunno, i think the wood makes a fair difference too. solid wood seems to be more resonant and sound, well, more woody and organic. Not that plywood is bad (it's only really mdf/particleboard which is "bad"), and it depends on what you want, but they do seem to sound different.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ippon
Congrats!

So you blew the school funds on gear that you need. Acceptable, but you need to scramble now.

Ha it happens quite a bit. I had a GH50 head at the start of last fall but sold it for food and tuition funds. Then throughout this past spring i had Rokit 8's and two other fantom x keyboards but sold them again to pay off them bills. I'm working now and making some big bucks so if i buy anymore gear itll be to stay since i have a big reserve for necessities. Which is why i say expect a big big big NAD come july or august

i dunno, i think the wood makes a fair difference too. solid wood seems to be more resonant and sound, well, more woody and organic. Not that plywood is bad (it's only really mdf/particleboard which is "bad"), and it depends on what you want, but they do seem to sound different.
Agreed
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
X8 nice. My friend got a X7 and it's such a nice keyboard, congrats.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by jof1029
i love my st-79, that thing is a fantastic mic. ryan convincede me to buy one too

+1, awesome mic. Sounds great on vocals
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Wow, congrats on a great year of gear acquisition!
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by jof1029
i love my st-79, that thing is a fantastic mic. ryan convincede me to buy one too paired with the profire, such a great setup.

nice gear for the year

Thanks. I really want to start a St-79 Club , but only place to buy them now is ebay Such a shame for a great mic

X8 nice. My friend got a X7 and it's such a nice keyboard, congrats.

I'm under the strong conviction that the Fantom is the nicest piece of gear that i own. I can play it for hours and never get tired and love it every single time i use it.
nice! vh ftw

is the splawn pretty bright then? i mean that clip was fairly bright and the tz is pretty dark...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Good haul...really good haul. Loads of amazing stuff there, have fun with it!
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by Dave_Mc
nice! vh ftw

is the splawn pretty bright then? i mean that clip was fairly bright and the tz is pretty dark...

its a possibility. I did turn up the presence on the amp to 3/4 to get a moire 80's sound so that might be it too
Keep going! Love that song haha

Sounds like you got some awesome gear! Nice stuff. Can't wait to hear more recordings from you.

HNGY!
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
That clip was quite a bit brighter sounding than I expected for a Tone Zone going into the Nitro. Sounds awesome regardless.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Page 1 of 2