He guys, I have the chords Bm, D, Em and they are sounding like the feel I am going for but I need another chrd to finish off the progression, or even 2 chords if they go well. Thanks for any help.
A13(#5, b9, b11) and Q.

no, seriously. what key is it in? it could be in the key of B minor, D major, or E minor (slightly less likely). i'm going to assume B minor, since it's the first chord in your progression.

why not go with the obvious choice - F#maj or F#7?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
F#(M)7 - BMajor, fugue style ftw.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by tenfold
How do we know what you want? Learn some theory and you can always figure out yourself.

You're right in a way, but I dont think that would help the OP *right now*.
People post questions because they dont know the answers..
And if you think the OP should learn theory, then give suggests for his question and explain why that would work

Anyhow, you have the chords Bm (B-D-F#), D (D-F#-A) and Em (E-B-G).
The notes we get from that are D-E-F#-G-A-B.
Let's keep it simple and say it's in a major scale

There are two keys in major that are possible.
It's either in Dmajor or G major

D major scale would be D E F# G A B C# D,
G major scale = G A B C D E F# G

The reason these chords sound unfinished played that way is because it's neither tonicalized (it's ambiguous which key it's in) and that none of the keys translate to a progression that's very strong.

In D Major, the progression would be vi-I-ii.
G Major would mean iii-V-vi

It's not obvious which key we want to be in. Altough we could say that D Major is more obvious because G major doesnt contain the I degree, D major on the other hand doesnt contain the V degree.
The strongest feel of resolution comes from ending on the I degree, so either ending on D major again or G major would work. I always found that playing the open Eminor and GMajor chords sound very nice together, that is what I would play.

So.. Bm-D-Em-G. Only thing is that the G chord is both in the D and G Major keys, it's still ambiguous which key it's in if we play it like that. There is only a one note difference for both keys, which is either C or C#. DMajor has the C# (as the 7th interval) and GMajor has C (as the 4th interval).

We want to put a C somewhere in the progression to tonicalize it. We could add another chord, possible triads are Aminor (A-C-E) C major (C-E-G) or F# dimminished (F#-A-C)
If we do this, I would go with C major as that is the IV degree and works nicely.

However, another possibility would be to change one of the chords to a extended one with a C. Changing the Dmajor into D7 would work, and you'd get a V7 degree.

Oh, and if you didnt know about the circle of fifths, you'll notice that D is the fifth of G major and you can easily modulate from GMajor key to DMajor, for example for the chorus. Just remember to put a C# somewhere then

I hope this helps. Just remember that my way isnt *the* way to do it, just one of the possibilities.
i tried the progresion and I seem to think that A maj fits rather well.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
The progression you have is very good on its own... you can hold the Em over two bars then if you wish... or you can follow it with G...

Aeolian's F#7 suggestion adds a different character and will work... but it depends on how your melody is.
Quote by rocknroll93
i tried the progresion and I seem to think that A maj fits rather well.

yeah, that works. Especialy between the D and Em chords or Bm - D.

That would make it D major / B minor.

Progression of Bm - D - A - Em would either be
vi - I - V - ii (major)
i - III - VII - v (minor, this works but eventualy you want to to resolve to v-> i instead of the other way around)

Bm - A - D - Em would either be
vi - V - I - ii (major)
i - VII - III - v (minor)

But yeah, the question if its either D major or B minor key is somewhat academic until you add other instruments like some lead guitar or vocals to harmonise with.
If you're in Standard you can't really play this but I like the sound of

Bm(high) D(high) Em(low) D(low)

So in Standard the way to simulate that would be x-0-0-x-x-x

Sorry for the pseudo notation :p