okay i knew it would happen eventually. Ive been playing alot of metallica and other standard / dropped D tuned music, but now i wanna start playing lower stuff. Im planning on gettin thicker strings but i was wondering how low i can go on my 10gauge guitar strings.
Also, ive never had thicker strings before so how high can i play on thick strings? could i get away with playing standard on them??
Gear
OLP MetalArt --- First Guitar
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by STABxYOU
The simple solution is to trade your girlfriend for the amp, you get the amp and lower your expenses. It's win-win.
Assuming that your guitar has a moderate action, thicker strings like .13s shouldn't be too much of a hassle in standard tuning.

If you drop-C or drop-B, you might get some buzzing. It all depends on your action.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Lowest I'd go with 10's is probably D standard.

I use Heavy Core and Light top/bottom heavy strings. I can go down to drop B with not a whole lot of noodling.

EDIT: Why the hell would he use 13's for Drop C and Drop B?

TS, get these.
I swear by them
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DunlopDunlop-Heavy-Core-Electric-Guitar-Strings-Heavier-Gauge?sku=712931
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jun 12, 2010,
thanks. i might pick up some 13s tomorrow.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by STABxYOU
The simple solution is to trade your girlfriend for the amp, you get the amp and lower your expenses. It's win-win.
13's will give you hell if you're going from 10's. The tension difference is a lot stronger. I'd advise using those Heavy Core strings.

They're 11's, but have the range of 13's.
I would check out DR Tightwounds. I would either go with .11 to .48's, or if you like like nice and thick low end strings, go with .10 to .52's. I've tried out DR's, Ernie Balls, GHS Boomers, and D'Addarios, and for me, the DR's came out on top. Also, raising your action a hair might get rid of some more fret buzz
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
alright so what strings should i use for drop c for example? can .11s go to drop c?
what exactly are Heavy Core strings?
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by STABxYOU
Heavy core strings give you heavy tension at standard tuning and normal tension at drop tunings.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
well it depends on your action and your strings. If your action is low right now, if you get higher gauge strings and put them in standard it will raise the action. its possible, just somewhat inconvenient.

As for the strings you have now, tune as low as you want and see if they can take it or not. if not, go up a few gauges.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
for drop tunings, i would just make yourself a custom gauge if you want to keep the tension up, but only if its going to STAY in a dropped tuning.

for example. one of my guitars is tuned to dropped D. it is strung with a set of 10's except i replaced the .046 with an .052 to keep the tension and the tone the same.

for drop C, i would probably recomend a set consisting of: .011-.014-.018-.030-.042-.056

for drop B: .012-.016-.020-.032-.044-.058

and as a side note, i wouldnt go past Eb with 10's if you want to keep the tension around the same
Quote by cdr_salamander
Assuming that your guitar has a moderate action, thicker strings like .13s shouldn't be too much of a hassle in standard tuning.

If you drop-C or drop-B, you might get some buzzing. It all depends on your action.

WHAT!?! wow what a fail...

TS don't use 13's if you have the intention of going to standard. One they'll probably break once you tune them that high and two thats so much tension it would be hell for your truss rod and you fingers
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by Guitar-KID125
WHAT!?! wow what a fail...

TS don't use 13's if you have the intention of going to standard. One they'll probably break once you tune them that high and two thats so much tension it would be hell for your truss rod and you fingers

Lol a little over dramatic are we? As long as everything set up to handle the 13s he should be fine i mean hell lotsa people sue 13 in standards or 1/2 step down and are fine with it you just need to get your techie to set your guitar up and your ready to go.
I use the heaviest gauge Dunlop Heavy core strings and i use them in my Industial band in Drop A tuning.

They feel like .10's tuned to standard.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Only real men like me play 13s in standard

But seriously, it's possible. Just needs a truss rod adjustment and strong fingers
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

I use normal .10s for Drop C# sometimes and it's fine. On my guitar that is kept permanently in Drop C# I use a slightly thicker sixth string, but that's it; normal .10 set otherwise. That's on a 25.5" scale guitar.

Use what feels comfortable to you. Don't use a string gauge just because you've been told you should or because some other person uses it. Stick to your standard strings first and tune down. If you start feeling like you can't play properly on those strings once they've been tuned down, that is when you know you need to change string gauge. Go up one gauge at a time, so from .10s to .11s, .11s to .12s and so on. Stop once you've got to a gauge that feels right for you, there is no benefit from using thicker strings than is comfortable.

In terms of tuning back up to E Standard and general set up, if you're just tuning from say, E Standard down to D Standard and then back up, I wouldn't bother adjusting anything (in fact I would use the same .10 strings, personally). If you're doing a more drastic jump (e.g. E Standard down to Drop B then back up to E Standard) then yes, you will need to set the guitar up for each tuning, you will probably need a different set of strings and no, you couldn't just tune form one to the other then back again. That sort of jump requires a truss rod adjustment and it requires the bridge to be adjusted, both for string height and for intonation. Sometimes your pickups will need adjusting too.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
13's will give you hell if you're going from 10's. The tension difference is a lot stronger. I'd advise using those Heavy Core strings.

They're 11's, but have the range of 13's.

yes theyre a bit of a shock at first, but just harden up and get use to it....... it only takes like a week.

its actualy better to use thicker strings. They technically have a better tone and are louder (mainly only heard on acoustics, but its still techncially true on electrics even though you cant realy tell). It also strengthens your fingers which is what you will need regardless of string gauge if you plan to play faster stuff in dropB/DropC.

I use ernie ball not-even-slinky in 13-56 and play in Drop B (alot of parkway drive style music), on a ibanez S670pb and they are perfect. Slight string buzz but when your playing down tuned metal its hard not to get at least some string buzz while still having a practical action. Its also not even noticable, your playing in high gain i assume?

However everyone has their personal preference. Try some different string brands and guages and stick to your preference. My personal preference is elixr's 13-56, but they are too loose for the tremelo on my guitar.

On that note actualy, I know some tremelo guitars have problems with some heavy strings having too much tension or not enough tension to balance the bridge. If you have a problem like this, try some looser or tighter strings such as elixr (looser) or DR (tighter).

Like the post previous to mine said, you will need to readjust your bridge and probably pickups if your doing such drastic tuning and string gauge changing. However i will add to the statement relating to truss rod adjustment. You will need to probably take it to a proper guitar tech to get your truss rod adjusted, because if you already need to ask about string gauges, then you probably dont have the skills to adjust a truss rod appropriately - Especially if you own a guitar with a floating tremelo, because an incorrect adjustment wont just warp your neck, it could snap it because of the extreme tension differences when using the trem couple with the incorrectly adjusted neck.
Last edited by shredder408 at Jun 12, 2010,
on my schecter, I use 13-65's for Drop C, but i love tension to play with, so thats why.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
What is the scale length of the guitar you'd be drop tuning? I find with my guitar(24 3/4 scale length) I can comfortably get to D with .10s, C with .11s, and to B with 12s.
thanks a lot guys. and for using .13s for standard i was just putting a thought out there. id probly never do it. right now im kinda switching my tunings more than normal and wanted to know my options .
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by shredder408
informational stuff

I like Heavy Cores more than any kind of string. They don't sound very bright when you first put them on (like lots of strings) and they maintain that kind of tone until its time for them to go.

I have Dunlop light top/bottom heavy strings on right now. They're a bit too bright for me.

I got a bunch of strings as a mini-endorsement from this lady we know that works for Jim Dunlop... pretty BA. I'm set with strings for like the next year.
I use 10-46 Dean markly blue steels for dropC and D standard.

I used to use 9-42!
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I have 12's on my Ibanez(C#/Drop B), 10's on my ESP Flying V(E/Drop D), and 9's on my Les Paul(Also E/Drop D).
Hasn't anyone talked about the guitar nut or saddles? Sometimes a guitar nut isn't filed for use with .13s, The slots can be too small for the strings causing the string to bind. You might want to have a tech look at the guitar nut, TS.

Oh and be warned, If you don't bend much and you decide to try 13s in normal tuning you might find the tone so addictive you'll find it hard to downtune because you'll lose the great tone. Tension wise, You might get by fine but the tone is gone. I have a set of 10-52s (The bottom three strings are like a set of 12s) On my 335 copy right now and I would find it hard to tune even one step down because the tone is so great.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
im looking at the heavy core .11s strings. can it get me to drop c or should i go for .12s? thats the tuning i find most of the bands i play using
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by STABxYOU