I have about $300-$600 US to spend and I'm looking for a new guitar. I have an Orange Tiny Terror and Blackheart Little Giant, and an Ibanez ART100. I play Stoner Rock, Doom Metal, Noise Rock, and a little Classic Rock and Classic Metal. I'd like to have some single-coils to give me some more versatility, since those are some pretty diverse genres. I tend to use a lot of gain when I play and am fully prepared to drop the money on a good noise gate (I've heard glowing reviews of the ISP Decimator), so noise shouldn't really be an issue.

I kind of want to upgrade my humbucker tone, too. As I only have the cash for one guitar, a HSS setup might be ideal. Is it worth sacrificing the bridge coil for a humbucker? Also, what are your opinions on coil taps? Are they just gimmicks, or do they actually sound good? Should I just forget the humbuckers for now, get a really good single coil guitar now and work on humbuckers later?

These are a few guitars I'm looking at:
Fender MIM Strat (maybe HSS?)
Fender MIM Tele (a little hesitant, since I've heard that Teles are better as clean guitars, but I really like the way they play)
Fender MIA Strat (maybe HSS?)
Fender MIA Tele
Schecter CS-1
Other suggestions?
I'm really looking into a MiM HSS Strat, I think it'd suit you just about right with the right humbucker in the bridge, you could switch it out for something more gain-oriented. I'm sure it'd would fine.
I managed to find a Schecter C-1 Elite Diamond Series for $325. Do you think it's worth dropping the extra $200 for the Classic and its Seymour Duncan pups?
You could grab that C-1 for $325 and replace the pups. Your versatility of playing is pretty broad. Put some actives on that C-1 to handle the metal stuff and put that leftover $100 into the piggy bank to put towards a HSS strat that will be good for the classic rock/blues.

Just my opinion.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Well, I think I'm going to go for a C-1 Classic. It comes with Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz pups. My only concern is how bright they sound in all the videos I watched. Can't really play Doom Metal with such a cheerful sounding tone. Can anyone who has these pups comment? Can they get suitably dark if you turn down the tone knob?
Quote by Notkcots
Well, I think I'm going to go for a C-1 Classic. It comes with Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz pups. My only concern is how bright they sound in all the videos I watched. Can't really play Doom Metal with such a cheerful sounding tone. Can anyone who has these pups comment? Can they get suitably dark if you turn down the tone knob?

There are many ways to alter your tone.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Well, that sounds pretty nice, but I managed to find a Gibson Flying V with Dimarzo Super Distortion and Air Norton and I think I'm just going to get that and wait to get a really nice single-coil guitar. I've always wanted a V and the price is way too good to pass up. Thanks for all the advice.
Quote by Notkcots

They’ll be plenty dark if you have an amp that can do a dark Marshall tone; Blackstar amps or, obviously, a Marshall will combine with it well. The jazz will be warm and dark, and the JB sounds ice cold with heavy gain. the tone knob won’t do much with either one unless you play clean. The same is true for coil splitting—if you aren’t going to be playing luscious cleans, you don’t need it.
ANYTHING DANELECTRO.

Seriously. The new dead on 67s rule. As with the DC59s.

Only single coil, but crank them through a marshall or something with tubes and lots of distortion and the danos give you a very unique thrash/grunge/hardrock/metal sound.
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
Quote by manipulator70
ANYTHING DANELECTRO.

Only single coil, but crank them through a marshall or something with tubes and lots of distortion and the danos give you a very unique thrash/grunge/hardrock/metal sound.

That’s really the kind of statement that you need to back up with audio clips
Those Danos do have a killer tone for delta blues, tho.
Quote by manipulator70
ANYTHING DANELECTRO.

I've thought about this. Could pull the trigger and return it if it wouldn't satisfy me. They look very cool.

On the other hand I could play it safe and save for a quality LP copy.
I know this is off topic but how does you're Little Giant stack up to the Tiny Terror?

Also try taking a look at some Ibanez RG's a lot of them come with Humbucker - Single - Humbucker configurations. Not exactly coil tap, but it does give you the best of both worlds.
Quote by handbanana
I know this is off topic but how does you're Little Giant stack up to the Tiny Terror?

Overall, I prefer the TT. The tone is very warm and fuzzy and the fact that it has separate pre/post gain controls is really convenient. It's perfect for classic rock, stoner anything, and even some classic metal. The only problems I have with it is that it does not play nicely with any manner of distortion or fuzz pedals and doesn't have onboard EQ. It has a wonderful warm, fuzzy tone, but don't expect to get anything drastically different out of it.

When cranked, the LG sounds bright and sparkly. It's much more neutral than the TT and absolutely adores pedals. With the right pedals, it can be a very versatile amp. I usually hook up a distortion pedal, dime the treble, and get a pretty nice, abrasive noise-rock tone. Also, the LG has some pretty nice cleans. You could definitely do worse for your money and the Half Stack is a really great value, as the BH112 cab is pretty nice.
If you want a cheap single coil pickup equipped guitar look into the Gibson Melody Maker. Nothing fancy or fussy. Just a straight head inexpensive guitar that kicks ass.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Check out the washburn idol series. some of the higher end models are in your budget. they're well made, and most have VCC, which is basically means that as you roll of the tone knob for either humbucker, it gradually splits into a single coil. they also have some p-90 equipped models.
2009 Gibson Explorer - 2008 Washburn Idol WI45f - 1965 MiJ Ibanez Salvador Classical
Bogner Alchemist 40w 1x12" - Marshall MG10CD
Well, the Flying V fell through... I hate people who don't take down ads once they sell their item... I'm just going to go with a MIM HSS Strat and upgrade the pups on my Ibanez. I'm going to put a Dimarzio D'Activator in the neck, but I could use some advice for the bridge. I want a passive pickup that sounds good with some gain in E. Apparently the D'Activator is good for downtuning, so I want something a little bit more mild that I can use for classic metal and some heavier noise rock. I don't really need good cleans.