I was wondering if i have to count in my head while sight reading. I can read rhythm at a fairly high level, but when i have to play and count (1eanda2eanda..) i can't do it in my head. But, i do know what it all sounds like, and recognize the rhythms instantly; so do i really need to count if i can play it all without?
-|-\/\/()/\/_V/\/\()|_|(
=============)
Well yeah, but i mean if i don't learn will it eventually cause problems for me?
-|-\/\/()/\/_V/\/\()|_|(
=============)
Quote by anonymous564
Well yeah, but i mean if i don't learn will it eventually cause problems for me?

Not unless you make it cause problems.

I can count in my head, but it messes up my rhythm. So I just resort to tapping my foot instead.

Remember, music has no real rules. If you can't do it down the line (though, if you're not having any problem doing so now, if you keep at it and progressively get harder rather than just jumping the gun, you'll be fine) then adapt and change what you're doing.

Just remember, if you can do it fine now, and progress correctly then you'll be fine.
Personally, I think it's a useful skill to be able to count the rhythm.

Firstly, you have a way of making sure that you are playing the timing right. Secondly, if you can count a simple rhythm it will make it easier when you are confronted with a rhythm you've never seen before because you will be able to subdivide and count, rather than depend on someone else playing the rhythm and you copying.

Counting also keeps you precise. If I'm playing a reasonably fast piece and I see a dotted quaver - semiquaver, I might actually play a it as triplets (triplet crotchet - triplet quaver). This doesn't feel wrong so the only way I'm actually able to make sure that I'm playing it correctly is by counting those four semiquavers in my head, then after a while counting I won't have to any more because I've memorised the correct rhythm.

Even something as simple as two crotchets can be rushed. How do you avoid that? Count the quavers.

Of course, you don't have to count all the time or even most of the time. Sometimes counting is not necessary because you can feel it, sometimes it's impractical (eg. trying to count 6 quavers in a fast 6/8, you have no choice but the count in two) but if you don't have the ability to count then you'll never be able to play well in an orchestra and it will be hard for you to be accurate with your timings, usually with difficult rhythms, but sometimes with simple ones two (like the example of crotchets I gave).