With an SM57 would it be smarter to get the M Audio Fast track II interphase or the Shure X2u USB adapter?
Don't they essentially do the same thing since they both connect to the USB port of the computer? Any help...?
They do the same thing, but a proper interface will have a much better preamp than any little adapter will.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
The quality on the USB adapters is the same as plugging it direct into your mic port. You just don't have to worry about blowing out your mic port.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Would I get a decent sound from the Fast track 2 without much change from what's coming out of the amp?
Quote by eddy_621
Would I get a decent sound from the Fast track 2 without much change from what's coming out of the amp?

Totally different tone.
Quote by eddy_621
With an SM57 would it be smarter to get the M Audio Fast track II interphase or the Shure X2u USB adapter?
Don't they essentially do the same thing since they both connect to the USB port of the computer? Any help...?

Both products you speak of are in fact audio interfaces....

Adapters don't digitize the analog at all...but an interface will.

But yea, the small in line style interfaces are crud, go with the M-Audio Fast Track MKII.

Quote by eddy_621

You can either mic your amp and run that mic to the interface, assuming you like your amps tone...

Or you can DI your guitar to the interface and use modeling software for the amp and FX.

The choice is yours.
I personally like micing the real deal as I feel it sounds better.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 12, 2010,
It's an interface and it'll have much better pre-amps obviously.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by eddy_621

Regardless of the mic you have, the quality is always going to better with an audio interface.

I've used those USB adapters, and while they sound okay(ish), I wouldn't use it for anything other than youtube covers or something. The quality's really not all there; it will sound a lot more pure with the fast track.
Quote by moody07747
Both products you speak of are in fact audio interfaces....

Adapters don't digitize the analog at all...but an interface will.

But yea, the small in line style interfaces are crud, go with the M-Audio Fast Track MKII.

You can either mic your amp and run that mic to the interface, assuming you like your amps tone...

Or you can DI your guitar to the interface and use modeling software for the amp and FX.

The choice is yours.
I personally like micing the real deal as I feel it sounds better.

I've been using amp simulators until now and I want to see what I'm missing. But would the interphace change the amp's tone at all?
Quote by eddy_621
I've been using amp simulators until now and I want to see what I'm missing. But would the interphace change the amp's tone at all?

No but a lot of your sound is going to be based on the quality of your amp. If you're recording with some cheap shitty practice amp, its not going to sound good.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I went with the Fast track and it's working pretty well! Thanks for the replies.