I know this about my twentieth thread on the subject, but I've never really had a good answer.

Anyway, I've been thinking about buying a new strat since I'm dissatisfied with my current one but have played plenty I haven't. It's an old 2003 MIM Standard, everything stock except the wiring and pots and all that(Not sure about the pickups. Clean they sound different than other MIM's, but that could be the wiring. The pickups aren't actually too bad though.), including the tremolo. I always hear people say that a steel one completely recreates the guitar tonally and gives it much more stability, and the main two things I've been unhappy with it is that the notes turn to mush when you throw on that much gain, and the G likes to hop out of tune a few steps at a time. With what people say, a steel trem block should fix this, and as I've really been falling into love with Billy Gibbons' playing and tone lately, if a $30 modification can make it a great strat, I'd really prefer to put the money towards a Les Paul of some sort.

tl;dr, I'm considering buying a new strat, but I'd like a Les Paul, and people say the problems that I'm having are because of the old zinc tremolo block. Will a $30 fix really make it more stable and stay clear on higher gain(Higher gain not even being that much; higher gain being a tubescreamer with the gain dimed), or is it the guitar, not the tremolo?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
cant hurt to try, can it? 30 bucks isn't all that much money, if all goes wrong, you can always return the part or sell it on ebay too.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
the G-string going out of tune thing is through not stringing the instrument properly...

But those vintage fender trems aren't known for staying in tune.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
In my various Strat bridge and Floyd testing, I am struggling to tell a difference between various sustain blocks. Unless a block is really, really small then it doesn't seem to make much difference, and even if it is a tiny block it seems to just hurt sustain more than it effects the actual tone and clarity.

I wouldn't bother changing. Get the LP you want first. A new sustain block on your Strat isn't going to make it magically stay perfectly in tune all the time nor will it revolutionise your tone. It certainly won't make it a substitute for a Les Paul. Getting another Strat also won't really help, since stock Strat bridges tend to suck until you hit the MIJ/MIA models, which is a fair chunk of money to spend on something that [i[]might be better for you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
to Mr. Flibble: i thought the same thing. then i realized he meant blocking the trem, not getting a new trem block. i just watched a video on the difference between a charvel before and after changing to a big brass trem block, so i kind of had trem block on the brain i guess

anyway blocking it off may help. floydupgrades.com has a really cool thingy used for blocking tremolos. sounds like it may be the same thing you're looking at if it's around $20 or $30.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Jun 12, 2010,
i think the sustain block is just sustain, as flibble says.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
too much gain and stock single coils thru a stock blues junior will sound mushy.

if the g falls out of tune, lube contact points string better, and / or put the $30 towards locking tuners.

or get the guitar you really want.

i think you're stuck in a hole with this topic.
at some point you're going to have to shit or get off the pot.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011