so im still a beginner at this whole jazzthing and im wondering how you would go about soloing over this progression.

key sig to start is 3 sharps, A major

A, Bb/A, Db/Ab, Eb/G, D/F#, E, E/D, A, C#minor9, Dmaj9, C#minor9, Dmajor9, Bb/A

the song is Missouri Uncomprimised from Metheny. im really stuck on how to solo to this kind of stuff
That tune is actually a 12 bar blues, but Pat put in some fairly obscure chord substitutions. The 12-bar blues form includes all of the chords except the C#minor9, Dmaj9, C#minor9, Dmajor9, Bb/A passage, which is the bridge of the tune.
In terms of soloing, the end of the blues part has a V-I progression (E, E/D, A) to finish which is a standard turnaround.
The part that is the hardest to solo over would be the Bb/A, Db/Ab, Eb/G, D/F# passage I think... just checking, do you know what those chords are? Because if you don't, the second half of each chord (A, Ab etc) are just the bass note, and don't really effect what you would play over the chord unless you're getting into really advanced playing.
Anyway, in that passage it seems to me that the bass line has more direction than the chords themselves, which seem fairly unrelated. All I could suggest for soloing those parts would be to find the common tones of each chord and emphasize those in your solo, which will make playing over them much easier.
As for the C#minor9, Dmaj9, C#minor9, Dmajor9 bridge section, emphasising the chromatic movement of the C#-E-G# triad to the D-F#-A triad will sound good. The last chord (Bb/A) would also sound good if you emphasize the change from Bb-D-F to A-C#-E when you go back to the beginning.
In general, for the faster passages I think it's good to stick to the notes of the chords themselves in your solo when you're first starting out, because it gives you a better idea of the harmonic motion and where the tune is going, which will help you find where you want the solo to go.
Also, it would help a lot to check out Pat's solo on the recording for ideas, just to see how he does it, which will help a lot. Sorry if any of this isn't explained very well, I've just typed put in a bunch of ideas that you might find useful... if you want me to explain anything in more detail I'd be happy to

Last edited by pangui at Jun 12, 2010,