Ive been looking up Top Ten Bassists etc, and Johnny Christ's name keeps coming up. I don't understand why. I can't even hear his bass in most of the 50-ish songs I have. Somebody explain why, is it just because he is just in a7x???
FISH ON!!!!

Quote by Derk'ed
Women love it better with fingers. Treat a bass like a woman. Fingers or piece of plastic?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
He's ok, definitely not top ten
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
Listen to him live. Just because he's mixed out on the albums doesn't mean he's not a solid bassist. As much as I like him as a bassist I don't think he's top ten though.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Top ten bassist lists are all subjective and opinionated, and there is no way to tell what criteria are used to determine the spots (technical skill, creativity, popularity, etc.).

More on topic, Johnny Christ is a solid bassist. He's not the greatest, but he's not bad.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
People like him because he's in Avenged Sevenfold and they're a fun band to listen to.
I pride myself on my humility.
if you listen to sounding the seventh trumpet he is not mixed out at all and he has some really good bass lines
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I've never even heard of him. Feel better?

Snap.

I realised why I'd never heard of him when I read the rest of the thread and read which band he was from.

I think I'll remain ignorant.
Now surely being a solid bass player shouldn't make you stand out.
In my opinion that should be a given if he is a professional musician.

Other than that I can't give any meaningful contribution to this thread, apart from saying that all those top 100 lists are all crap. Pay no notice to them.
for best bassists, some of those upright guys in psychobilly bands do some amazing things
Who?
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

strength of the world has some nifty bass parts.

Overall he's a really solid bassist, and quite tasteful with his lines.

Don't think he's quite top 10, but as has been said, pay no mind.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by fivepointnine
if you listen to sounding the seventh trumpet he is not mixed out at all and he has some really good bass lines

Considering the fact that Jonny Christ wasn't even in the band on that album, I don't think you can really count that as one of his good performances.

As for why he's in peoples top 10.
I'd say its to do with the bands popularity, the fact that he is a solid bass player, and while he has very few "stand out" moments, his basslines are tasteful and work with the songs well.

He wouldn't be in my top 10, but as has been said, these lists are subjective and vary from person to person and taste to taste.
Never even heard of him, who is this trumped up wanker.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Sometimes the affection for a band in general flows towards the members in specific. So, a fan of Avenged Sevenfold might hold in greater esteem Johnny Christ than somebody who doesn't care for the band, let alone somebody who hates them.

This is my theory
Quote by Puppet_616
Considering the fact that Jonny Christ wasn't even in the band on that album, I don't think you can really count that as one of his good performances.

As for why he's in peoples top 10.
I'd say its to do with the bands popularity, the fact that he is a solid bass player, and while he has very few "stand out" moments, his basslines are tasteful and work with the songs well.

He wouldn't be in my top 10, but as has been said, these lists are subjective and vary from person to person and taste to taste.

wow, I had no idea he didnt do the bass on that album....well anyway thats my favorite avenged sevenfold album
Quote by fivepointnine
wow, I had no idea he didnt do the bass on that album....well anyway thats my favorite avenged sevenfold album

Yeah the original bass player recorded the album, toured the album and then had to go to college.
Jonny was recruited as a temporary replacement, but became permanent when the other couldn't return.
He's a decent bassist, and pretty solid - as other people have said. But he shouldn't be in the top 10. I did find a video a while ago of him playing some Primus, which was cool. He does make good bass lines which fit well with the songs, and the few stand out things he does are pretty good, like his solo is Blinded in Chains, it's not amazing but it sounds cool.

I think he's in the top 10 because there's loads of fans who think because Synyster Gates is a good guitar player Johnny must be too.
OR
There's loads of screaming girls who are fans of A7X and are all like "OMG JOHNNY IS SO HAWT" so vote him on there.
i personally like Johnny cuz he is a little shit head that everybody just trashes on, and he accepts that which makes him very funny. He is a solid bassist not top ten but definatly late 20's early 30's
"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees"- "Watch Me Rise"-Have Heart
Avenged Sevenfold are a great band and Johnny Christ is a great bassist who plays some pretty good basslines (certainly above most root-note crap you find in modern metal.)

Unfortunately A7X's fan base tend to be made up of whiny scene girls who would probably much rather be listening to Lady Gaga so people react badly to the band, and hence their bassist.

/truth.
Quote by Spaz91

Unfortunately A7X's fan base tend to be made up of whiny scene girls who would probably much rather be listening to Lady Gaga so people react badly to the band, and hence their bassist.

/truth.

I resent that.

I dunno. Avenged Sevenfold is my favorite band, but if I had to name my top 10 bassists, Johnny Christ probably wouldn't make the list. So I'm surprised that so many people think that highly of him.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by Spaz91
So long as you don't deny it

i must admit, I do like Lady Gaga's music...
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE