Guys, I've been playing for 18 months or so, initially on acoustic and then onto electric, I practice on average 2 hours a day and some days I'll play for 6 to 8 hours straight. Progress has been good and quick probably due to the time I put in.

Now compared to most of you lot I'm ancient, I'm 38 and I only started playing as personal challenge after after having loads of spare time after retiring from a sport, I initially only had a long term goal of playing at BBQ's and stuff but I passed that stage a long time ago. But a few weeks ago I was asked to jam with an old mate who has been playing for 20 odd years and his mate who has previously been in bands that have done some serious shit, both of them were looking at forming a band. Anyway I felt it would be a little too much too early so I declined which I sort of regret now.

But it got me thinking about what I really want out of it and the more I play the electric the more I realise it's more of a band instrument than an acoustic and to get the most out of it you need other instruments around you. But I feel a little bit of a "grandad" for being 38 and even thinking about joining a band.

Question: Should I forget about this "episode" and retire to Dorset with my pipe and slippers or go for it and risk looking like Francis Rossi in my spandex trousers and pony tail?
Nothing wrong with being old and in a band.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Billie-Joe Armstrong is about 40. He seems to be doing fine.

Just don't use him as a role model.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
If you don't, you might regret it for the rest of your life. That's like, two or three weeks of solid regret.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding
If you don't, you might regret it for the rest of your life. That's like, two or three weeks of solid regret.

but for real.
why not?
Rolling Stones, anyone?
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
the truth is, if you are over thirty you have lost brain plasticity (the ability ti learn new things, look it up), If you never played before now then you have very little dealing with musicians (you played sports some time ago meaning you have learned "sport" and can still learn another again brain plasticity) but if you played at all before you were thirty than you can play with your friends to your hearts content and even learn some things from them. The key to the matter is actually what you learned when you were young, it defines you being that you are old.
Quote by crevs1972
Guys, I've been playing for 18 months or so, initially on acoustic and then onto electric, I practice on average 2 hours a day and some days I'll play for 6 to 8 hours straight. Progress has been good and quick probably due to the time I put in.

Now compared to most of you lot I'm ancient, I'm 38 and I only started playing as personal challenge after after having loads of spare time after retiring from a sport, I initially only had a long term goal of playing at BBQ's and stuff but I passed that stage a long time ago. But a few weeks ago I was asked to jam with an old mate who has been playing for 20 odd years and his mate who has previously been in bands that have done some serious shit, both of them were looking at forming a band. Anyway I felt it would be a little too much too early so I declined which I sort of regret now.

But it got me thinking about what I really want out of it and the more I play the electric the more I realise it's more of a band instrument than an acoustic and to get the most out of it you need other instruments around you. But I feel a little bit of a "grandad" for being 38 and even thinking about joining a band.

Question: Should I forget about this "episode" and retire to Dorset with my pipe and slippers or go for it and risk looking like Francis Rossi in my spandex trousers and pony tail?

You should totally join your firends' band. Playing with other people, and putting in as much practice as you do, you'll excel tremendously fast.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Bad Kharmel
the truth is, if you are over thirty you have lost brain plasticity (the ability ti learn new things, look it up), If you never played before now then you have very little dealing with musicians (you played sports some time ago meaning you have learned "sport" and can still learn another again brain plasticity) but if you played at all before you were thirty than you can play with your friends to your hearts content and even learn some things from them. The key to the matter is actually what you learned when you were young, it defines you being that you are old.

Oh shut up.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Quote by Bad Kharmel

You can always teach an old dog new tricks.
Quote by Bad Kharmel

You learn such things slower when you're older, that's about it. Last time I checked, being over thirty wasn't a mental handicapp.

TS, join a band, it's fun. I've played with guys two or three times my age and it was great. Thinking about it, I recall jamming with my guitar teacher and a dude in his fifties when I was taking lessons. The guy had just started out, but we jammed for an hour or so and had a lot of fun.

You won't believe how much playing with others will improve your skills, by the way. It's the best form of practice there is.
Quote by crevs1972

Now compared to most of you lot I'm ancient, I'm 38

I'm 43 my young feller-me-lad.

Go and join the band, guys our age and much older do it all the time so there's no need to feel out of place because of your age.

What is important is what 'you' want out of life (which is slowly getting shorter and shorter... tick... tick...tick ) Why regret something when you could be enjoying yourself?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I'm 43 my young feller-me-lad.

Go and join the band, guys our age and much older do it all the time so there's no need to feel out of place because of your age.

What is important is what 'you' want out of life (which is slowly getting shorter and shorter... tick... tick...tick ) Why regret something when you could be enjoying yourself?

I'm 20, and thought I was old for this site.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Jamming with people and being in bands is one of the funnest parts of playing guitar. Plus you get to learn a lot from the more experienced players that you wouldn't have learned practicing on your own.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I'm 20, and thought I was old for this site.

rock freebase is even older than me, and so is one of UG's latest members, Slash. (admittedly only by one year)
Quote by Mr.Feather
Billie-Joe Armstrong is about 40. He seems to be doing fine.

Just don't use him as a role model.

but he didnt start when he was 40

Quote by Bizarro
Sorry, but its true.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
rock freebase is even older than me, and so is one of UG's latest members, Slash. (admittedly only by one year)

Jackal as well is quite matured.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik
Jackal as well is quite matured.

Same here. I'm turning 81 this year.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Ask Jackal58. He should know more than we do, since he's... well, 58.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I am 12 and what is this...

I think you should go do what you want because you should go do what you want.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by shattamakar
I am 12 and what is this...

I think you should go do what you want because you should go do what you want.

This.
If you can play, you're young enough to be in a band.