Hi guys, I'm looking for a shape for Gmin6 from the A string. Would be helpful
you can just type like this: X-10-12-10-9-X < that being Gm7 on the A string.
Thanks in advance!!
im not sure about the exact chord but i know the chord is constructed by taking the 1st 3rd and 5th degrees of the g minor scale and then adding the 6th degree of the same scale =)
3-1-0-0-3-0
3-1-2-0-3-3
3-1-2-0-3-0
3-7-5-3-3-3

Don't know good you are at chords, but the last one is possible too
Edit: Ups, sorry didn't read it should be on the A-String, my bad :<
But you can just leave the G on the E-String out. Then you'd have an inversion or however its called
Last edited by Crossover- at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by Dante53
X-10-13-12-11-10

Oh okay!

Quote by 2MoreWeeks
X-10-14-12-11-10

..... decisions....
Just make sure It has root note G and features B flat, E and D. The First, flattened third, fifth and the sixth notes of G. I think..
Many of those posted here are wrong :S

Here are the ways to play it:

X-10-12-9-11-X (Can be a bit difficult)
X-10-14-12-11-10 (That's the method 2MoreWeeks offered)
X-10-14-15-15-X

P.S: 2MoreWeeks is correct again! G (the root), B-flat (The flattend third, it makes the chord a minor), E (The sixth note of the chord) and D (The fifth note of the chord which actually makes it a chord).

P.S.S: Oh wow, it's my first post here in UG.
Last edited by Tamirrr at Jun 12, 2010,
Hi There GM6 is a plain GM with a 6th of the G scale added so Gm plus "E" the 6th of the G scale G.A.B.C.D.(E) If the chord doesn't start with the root note "G" it will be an inversion of the chord. So the notes in G Minor6th are G, Bb, D. E. The Flattened third (B) turns Major into Minor, this is true of any major triad, flatten the third to give you the Minor. G Major G B D G Minor G Bb D

fenderflyer
Last edited by fenderflyer at Jun 12, 2010,
x-10-12-9-11-x

Basically, TS, you just need the notes G, Bb, D, and E. The D is optional too.
i don't know why i feel so dry
note that a Gmi6 can also be a C9( no root) and an Emi7b5...using the inversions of these chords gives you lots of different voicings for a Gmi6 on all sets of strings

play well

wolf
Obviously I'm wrong, but I went G minor scale..

G A Bb C D Eb F

Took the root, third, fifth, and added the sixth (Eb) but everyone is using E?

edit: Is this wrong, should I construct it from the G MAJOR scale (giving the E) and then flatten the third?
Last edited by squidlips at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by squidlips
edit: Is this wrong, should I construct it from the G MAJOR scale (giving the E) and then flatten the third?

right. 1 b3 5 6 is a m6. 1 b3 5 b6 is a mb6.

Quote by drx14iskwl
im not sure about the exact chord but i know the chord is constructed by taking the 1st 3rd and 5th degrees of the g minor scale and then adding the 6th degree of the same scale =)

nope. that's Gmb6.

Quote by Drummerrrrr?
x-10-8-8-11-x
or
x-10-13-12-11-x

Easy.

again, these are Gmb6, not Gm6.

Quote by PurpleBear102
haha yea.. but I think I just figured out anyway X-10-8-8-10-X

sigh, that's also Gmb6.

2moreweeks, tamir, evolucian, and eastwinn all have it right. you can choose any of the voicings they've suggested.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Hey squidlips, take a look at the link in my signature about major scale notation. It's one of my posts that has the formulas for a bunch of chords.
Believe it or not I actually know pretty much all of that! Just had a bit of a lapse as to the basic construction. Great resource tho!
Quote by squidlips
The lesson for today?

All chords are constructed from the major scale.

i assume you mean to say that all chords are constructed with reference to the major scale.

personally, the way i tend to do it (this isn't about what's right or wrong, just about personal preference) is to construct chords from intervals. if i want to construct Gm6, i wouldn't construct G6 and flatten the third, i'd just construct Gm6 - 1 b3 5 6. G Bb D E. it's very interval based.

to be truthful, i see no way of constructing chords that is objectively wrong unless it doesn't get you the right chords.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by drx14iskwl

I think what you have discribed is a Gmojoradd6(Gadd6) Gmin6 would be 1st,flat3rd and the 6th should replace the 5th thus Gminor6.if it is built on the 1st,flat 3rd 5th and 6th that is Gmin add6.basically you're playing Gminor with upper extention of 6th and that different from Gmin6 which is built on the 1st flat 3rd thus Gmin and 6th therefore Gmin6.just my two cents.
Last edited by Ihatelovers at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by AeolianWolf
to be truthful, i see no way of constructing chords that is objectively wrong unless it doesn't get you the right chords.

This is true. You do whatever works for you squidlips. I actually visualize a fretboard while I do it
x - 10 - 8 - 9 - 11 - x

i quite like this voicing
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.