Hi guys,

Just looked at the Squier California Series Strat. Why does it have better looking paint than the fender standards, three times the price of the squier?

And it sounds almost as good!

I'm looking for a guitar around that price range. So this is about 150$ to 450$ range.

So will it be the squier or the Yamaha Pacifica 012 or Pacifica 112?

The Squier seems to sound almost as good as the fender strat mim standard.

Any real help please?

I need a guitar that'll last me through high school and college. I'm planning to just change the pickups when I want better sound.

Will it work? This is gonna be my first electric right now I own a Yamaha f310. And I'm 13 years old. I'm a good guitarist for 1 1/2 years so I want a guitar that I can buy now and upgrade later.

Q#1
If I change the pick ups to the same ones of an MIA fender strat, will it sound almost or the same?

Q#2
I think the Yamahas are good too. Will i go with it? the 012 is almost twice the price of the squier.

I'm considering just buying a cheap guitar now only to improve on expensive stuff later-even if it costs more then a Fender MIM strat because I want the guitar as early as possible.
Last edited by rock0n247 at Jun 12, 2010,
What styles of music do you play?
What amp are you using?
Where are you located?
Willing to go used?
If you want the real strat shape not only something that's "almost there", get the Squier.
To me, it's still a Squier. If it sounds good and plays good to you, then buy it. My only concern would be that you want to use it for 10 years. Depending upon how much you play it, the frets might become an issue. Replacing the frets on a $150 guitar just doesn't make economic sense.
I play anything from clean and as far into distortion I will go is Led Zep.

I love Eric Clapton songs.

Maybe I'm gonna use a Roland MicroCube.

I play an acoustic now. Thats gonna become my first electric guitar.
Quote by KG6_Steven
To me, it's still a Squier. If it sounds good and plays good to you, then buy it. My only concern would be that you want to use it for 10 years. Depending upon how much you play it, the frets might become an issue. Replacing the frets on a $150 guitar just doesn't make economic sense.

Well, not really 10 years. I'm just gonna use this guitar from when I enter high school to maybe after college. So it has to withstand a few gigs and jammings but I'm not cruel with my guitar.
Quote by Tinderwet
If you want the real strat shape not only something that's "almost there", get the Squier.

but the yamahas sound quite good too.

I'm not really after the shape, Im after the sound and feel.
Quote by rock0n247

If its gonna be your first guitar, I HEAVILY recommend getting a valve amp, I can't stress that enough. If you are into blues, you will not be able to get the same dynamics, emotion etc from a solid state amp like a microcube. Valve amps cost more, but you can get not too expensive combos.
Quote by rock0n247

Buy this.
Change the pickups later if they don't suit you.
How long have you been playing? If you've only been playing a short while, then I'd buy the Squier and the Roland and work with that for awhile.

New guitar players haven't found their tone, so it's more important to have a good guitar that's playable and motivates you to keep learning. The amp isn't as important in the beginning either.

If you've been playing for a few years and know the tone you're looking for, then we need to be a bit more selective in the guitar and amp that we purchase. It's interesting that you like Clapton's music. He's been known to take some of the cheapest guitars and amps and play them - and make them sound totally awesome. A true artist can do that - so it's not always about buying the most expensive and best gear available. Having said that, just don't look at my gear photos.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by KG6_Steven
How long have you been playing? If you've only been playing a short while, then I'd buy the Squier and the Roland and work with that for awhile.

New guitar players haven't found their tone, so it's more important to have a good guitar that's playable and motivates you to keep learning. The amp isn't as important in the beginning either.

If you've been playing for a few years and know the tone you're looking for, then we need to be a bit more selective in the guitar and amp that we purchase. It's interesting that you like Clapton's music. He's been known to take some of the cheapest guitars and amps and play them - and make them sound totally awesome. A true artist can do that - so it's not always about buying the most expensive and best gear available. Having said that, just don't look at my gear photos.

I just did and you have really nice guitars.

I've been playing for only 1 1/2 years. I can do the Layla acoustic solo so judge how good I am from that.

I think I'll go with the Squire. It's metallic red looks so good! Like Slowhand's concert in '86. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8wbTHzNcQQ&feature=related
Quote by L2112Lif
Do you Write your own songs? Because, if you do, you might want to find an HSS strat. Trust me on this. They're a much more versatile guitar IMO than a standard strat, with a wider array of sounds.

i dont but i likely will so thats why i wanna buy a yamaha pacifica. it has HSS.

But im more into the blues.
Quote by rock0n247
I just did and you have really nice guitars.

I've been playing for only 1 1/2 years. I can do the Layla acoustic solo so judge how good I am from that.

I think I'll go with the Squire. It's metallic red looks so good! Like Slowhand's concert in '86. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8wbTHzNcQQ&feature=related

Thanks. I've been playing about 5 years and currently teach lessons on the weekends - have to have a regular job during the week, so I can afford those nice axes.

The Squier will last you for a few years, until you're ready to buy something nicer. By the way, don't forget about used guitars. Just make sure you know what you're looking for, so you don't end up with something that needs a lot of work.