I'm 13 and have been playing 1 1/2 yrs. on an acoustic Yamaha f310 and I can do the solo of Layla Unplugged(so you can guess my skill)

I want an electric so I'm going to start saving now. I'm entering high school next year and I want to buy a guitar that will last me until the end of college of jamming and gigging.

I've long been decided to buy a Fender standard MIM strat within 3 years of working and saving but lately I've decided that's a too long time.

Now I'm planning to just buy a Squier California Series Metallic Red (sweet!) Strat for P7,500 ($163).

The Squier sounds 75% of the Fender at 30% the price-
I'm planning to just buy the Squier and Improve it with better tuners, pickups etc. afterwards- to let it "grow" at the same with my skills.

But my BIG QUESTION is, if I put the best on the Squier, will it sound real nice like a Fender does?

Again, the sound quality would also grow with me maybe.

Help help help
!!!!!!!1
it will not is the simple answer, because its the wood they use that really makes the difference, and what makes the fenders more expensive.

TM
The money you spend upgrading the Squier, you might aswell just spend on a MIM.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
It might sound pretty close, or even better than a Fender (since tone is subjective) but it will never feel as nice as a real one.
theres a reason the american strats are more expensive then the MIM strats and theres a reason the MIM's are more expensive then the squires. IF your relitively new at playing and this will be your first electric guitar I would go with the MIM strat it sounds decent and it will last you longer then the squire. Even though the Mexican strats are cheaper they sound good and you can gig the hell out of em and they will hold up night after night. If you are planning to go electric you dont need to start off big, who knows you just may like to stick with what you know and rock out acoustically. I know plenty of guys that perfer acoustic over electric. I would get into a music shop and try em both out for a while before you make your choice. good luck
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
will it sound just like a fender? no. does squier still make one helluva guitar? yes. i play them myself, and with a proper set up, and a few modifications they are great guitars, albeit no fender.
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
The money you spend upgrading the Squier, you might aswell just spend on a MIM.

you see, I'm 13 and if i'd save for a fender now i'll go with no electric until im 15 but if i buy a squire ill have it next year.

maybe i should just save and stick to my acoustic for a while?
browse for some other brands because you dont really get your money's worth on a Squier, plus they're not the most customizable guitars out there
you should check out rondomusic.com or try out some second hand guitars
Quote by rock0n247
you see, I'm 13 and if i'd save for a fender now i'll go with no electric until im 15 but if i buy a squire ill have it next year.

maybe i should just save and stick to my acoustic for a while?

depending on where you live, you should check out your local classifieds (ie craigslist of kijiji). in my area ive seen used mexican strats going for as low as $250
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
I'd just go the extra mile and save for the Fender, you'll probably find it well worth it.
I pride myself on my humility.
Used, used and used...

Most Squiers sold used are almost mint. they came in guitar/amp packages. they were played once or twice then 'forgotten'. You can pick them up for $125

MIM Strats...$250 used

MIA Strats...$600 used

I've wondered why anybody buys a new guitar or amp. I have 23 guitars...never paid more than $500 for any of them (this includes 3 deluxe MIA Strats)

Also, any used guitar or amp....if you hate it after buying it, you can resell it for what you paid. Buy a used MIM Strat for $250....resell it the next week for $250. Buy it new for $500 and it resells a week later for $250.
Last edited by Raptorfingers at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by JohnMerrick
browse for some other brands because you dont really get your money's worth on a Squier, plus they're not the most customizable guitars out there
you should check out rondomusic.com or try out some second hand guitars

see, i would say the exact opposite. a well made squire can be one hell of a guitar. my first electric was a $200 squier and years later it still feels great in my hands. it stays in tune really well and the neck is damn nice. sure the hardware and electronics arent the best, but upgrading those for another $2-250 could give me a guitar that has pickups that far supass any MIM and very good hardware. meaning better guitar than a MIM for about the same price.
on the other hand, there is another squier at my house that is horrid. wont stay in tune, sharp fets, neck feels like crap, and a setup wont fix it enough. no ammount of money will make that guitar as good as a MIM.

but if you know what to look for in the shop, you can walk out with a good squier that you can customize and upgrade over time to get a very good guitar that is exactly what you want.

as for not being customizable, strat style guitars are probably the most customizable guitars out there. you can swap out anything on a strat. tele is the same way, but maybe not quite as much. but really, squiers are probably some of the most customizable guitars out there.
i would save up for a uses MIM strat. the squires, as much as they are decend entry level guitars, really arent up to par with a fender. the quality of the wood isnt as consistent, resulting in the odd great guitar coupled with quite a few mules, and many of the parts (bridge, tuners, frets...) arent of the same quality. on top of that, the fender will almost always play better (i have seen the odd squire thats unusually well put together outplay an unusually bad fender, but thats pretty rare) because more money is spent on quality control with a fender than a squire

you were mentioning that you want the guitar to last you through college with some gigging and whatnot? that going to be about 7-8 years from now. a squire simply will not keep up with you for that long. there is simply no way that an entry level squire (as the california strat you're looking at is really entry level) will grow with you for too long. a fender, on the other hand, is a little harder to outgrow (even a MIM)

and in regards to price vs. amount of guitar you get: there is no way the fender (standard mim strat) 300% better (as its about 300% more exspensive according to your price) than the squire, but it is significantly better. i would argue that it is worth the extra cash given that it will actually last you a long time
Squiers are pretty good guitars but no you probably won't get it to sound the same. however you could still get the tone you want out of a squier. You also may have luck with some other brands. also you should try pawn shops, used music stores, and classifieds to see if you can't find something in there. Just make sure that if you go this route that you give the guitar a thourough inspection and make sure you play quite a bit on it. also make sure that everything is okay in the cable jack, and make sure the tuners all work, because if they don't, and it is easily fixed you could probably knock some money off the price. If it cant be easly fixed then you just look elsewhere. but the short answer is you should try for the fender.
You should definitely go with the fender, squires are good but i don't think they'll hold up to a lot of jamming and gigging like a fender can.
If you hunt around you can find a really cheap mint condition Squier to use while you save for a MIM strat. Alot of people buy cheaper guitars and give up playing without putting any real effort in so there are some used bargains out there.

The Fender MIM guitars are normally noticeably better than the Squires but it depends on what you prefer and how much money you have.
I bought a Squier Strat as my first guitar with then intention of upgrading it. I spent close to $400, and replaced everything except for the body and the neck with the components of a guitar that would retail for nearly $1000. As long as you shop around enough, and are willing to do the overhaul yourself, it is worth it.

One other suggestion: If you end up buying a Squier, make sure you play it first. Their quality control is nonexistent, so there is a range. I ended up with a two piece alder body and a good neck. Other Squiers I have played are simply godawful.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
I wouldn't touch the California series of Squiers. They're basically Squier Bullet series guitars but with even cheaper hardware and electronics; the body is the same low-grade agathis that the Bullets use (and that the Affinitys use in the EU market). You literally can not buy a worse Squier.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yeah if you're going to go for a newer Squier look into the Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified series, or a used Master Series. I've gigged heavily with a Master Series Telecaster for 3 years now without one hiccup and it plays and feels just as nice as any Mexi Fender. Though with that being said, buying a Squier isn't as easy as buying a standard Fender. If you're going Squier, play the guitar before you buy it as there are many that are duds and some that are gems.