So at the moment i'm just using the e shape major scale. i use that to construct chords aswell as to move it around and from the root note play arpeggios based on it and i don't really improv on it. I've noticed people using dorian mode and others when playing arpeggiations - is it just based on what has the easiest fingering or is there a reason behind this? This has me stumped haha
Last edited by jhj at Jun 12, 2010,
There's a theoretical reason behind it. BUT I wouldn't advise you to look into modes just now. They're overrated. Explore the natural minor and the pentatonic minor (its "simplified version" which might sound better on improvs), and learn to take your scales out of the E shape, into other keys.

EDIT: I actually didn't read your question right. I said that as in "that's the next step you should take".

Disclaimer: Some UGers will argue right away that the natural minor is, itself, a mode. That's highly debatable and there's no need to look at it that way.
Last edited by sickman411 at Jun 12, 2010,
Those aren't "modes", they're simply other places you play the major scale and with that in mind...yes, of course you should learn to play the scale all over the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by sickman4
Explore the natural minor and the pentatonic minor (its "simplified version" which might sound better on improvs), and learn to take your scales out of the E shape, into other keys.

thanks, yeah i prefer to use those my riffs are starting to sound fluent i was just looking for new things.

i wasnt sure that learning the 5 possies of the major scale would be time well spent if from what ive heard it isnt great for improv and you can just use the e shape to make your chords etc?
Why would you not want to be able to use the scale over the whole neck, and how could being able to use the whole fretboard not be "good" for improv? Aside from the fact that it helps you build chords and understand the fretboard better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Modes are good to learn and know, but don't even think about them until you understand the major scale completely and can play it all over the neck in any key.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.