Hy forum,

I'm Job Koreman 16 year old and I want to build a guitar. It will be my first time so I'll need some advice. I want to make a modified abstract v twin. like this one:

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/abstract/images/ABS_3dv.jpg

I want to put Burns tri-sonic pick-ups in it.

The problem is that if I would buy a flying v body and I would modify it, the holes would be too big and there would be too few. But I have no idea how to line out the pickups, or how to mount them. I would rather not make the neck myself because I do not have the tools to do so.

In other words:

I am a dweeb when it comes to guitar building, I am rather good with my hands and my budget would be near and around 500 euro. (around 600 dollar) HELP!
Youtube it....some people on youtube break down every step from neck building, to body cutting...to pick up wiring and mounting. Even floyd rose installation
Quote by Pg.inc_music
Youtube it....some people on youtube break down every step from neck building, to body cutting...to pick up wiring and mounting. Even floyd rose installation

so, he comes to a guitar based forum, in the gear building thread, and we'd redirect them to youtube?

we might aswell close UG this way!

Hold on TS, i'm sure more helpfull posts will be coming.
Quote by jobbiesaus
Hy forum,

I'm Job Koreman 16 year old and I want to build a guitar. It will be my first time so I'll need some advice. I want to make a modified abstract v twin. like this one:

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/abstract/images/ABS_3dv.jpg

I want to put Burns tri-sonic pick-ups in it.

The problem is that if I would buy a flying v body and I would modify it, the holes would be too big and there would be too few. But I have no idea how to line out the pickups, or how to mount them. I would rather not make the neck myself because I do not have the tools to do so.

In other words:

I am a dweeb when it comes to guitar building, I am rather good with my hands and my budget would be near and around 500 euro. (around 600 dollar) HELP!

Looking at the image you have linked to, I don't think you could modify a regular V shape and turn it into that. You'd be better off buying/borrowing a jigsaw (or band saw) and router to cut the shape yourself.

Create a template which will be the main outline, use this to cut the main shape then use a router set to a depth of 1/4" or so to create the shadow V shape.
^this.
You're definitely gonna wanna build the body yourself.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Are those 4 fins on the same plane or are they like the fins on a rocket?? If the later, I think you are going to have to build a fairly elaborate jig to clamp them. I do think you should youtube some of the basic build techniques so you have an idea of what techniques you will need to modify to do this. I think perry ormsby's videos were helpful for me.

You can buy the neck and glue wings to the sides of the headstock and then cut the headstock to shape.

Any other pictures of the guitar?
I don't think it would be that difficult to replicate, it will just require two templates...

Once the main shape is cut, place the second template over the body and route the visible areas of the body (outlined with a red line above) to the desired depth - I'm tempted to have a go myself, but I have my current build to finish and a second one already planned.
Last edited by lostcreation333 at Jun 12, 2010,
It's possible to use the bodies from a Flying V...
Just rape two of them. Cut in the right spot.

You are really gonna need tools, and a rather large body blank.

Good job giving your name away to all the internet.
..I was watching my death.
Hi Job Koreman!!!

I reccomend reading. Its what I did alot of - go to amazon search for luthiery books. Nothing quiet beats as good bit of paper.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
I have been reading the forums, but the problem I have is that i cannot line out where the pick-ups and the bridge should go. Concerning how to make the body, I'll first try to make a mock-up to feel the size and if i will make the guitar out of one or 2 pieces of wood.