Page 1 of 3
That is, should you always respect people and their opinions by default or should they earn your respect? Do you respect people differently, like women, elderly, war heroes, criminals? And what about opinions, should they be respected by default?

Just a series of questions I thought about the other day. Personally I have a default amount of respect (perhaps it could be called basic manners) but when I think about it it should be earned. I don't think opinions should have the default relatively high amount of respect people say they should.

So, what about you?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Definitely earned. Somebody like a war hero has already done enough to earn respect, that's the only reason people respect them by default, IMO.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
I always found respect is a principle based on fear and authority. What most people call "showing respect" actually counts as being a decent human being for me.
Quote by Snowblind 911

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...
Given. I think a certain amount of respect should definitely be given before deciding if they have earned more than what you're giving or less.
Like you've said really, it starts as a 'default' amount of respect for them as a human being, for their opinions and whatnot. Their actions then go on to alter that amount.

If they're judgemental, unfair, unkind or generally dickish, respect levels fall. Conversely, good actions raise my respect.

So earned.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
I think it should be earned. I will generally give people the benefit of the doubt at first, but they can very quickly let me know whether they are worthy of it or not. I feel that I should have to earn others' respect as well. I do not expect to have it automatically for any reason. I don't follow the whole "respect your elders" line because there are plenty of people that are older than me who do not deserve it. I will not respect someone for the simple fact that they were born before me.
I don't respect people with fucked up opinions like "homosexuality is evil" or "atheists are going to hell". Respect must be earned.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
I think given, but I think you put it well in the OP when you say it's basic manners. I would never treat someone badly, but my opinion of them would be lower if they didn't earn my respect.
Quote by leg end
It should be given when it is earned

/thread.

Seriously, it makes sense.

When respect is earned, it should be given. Sometimes, respect is earned, but, it's not given.

I also don't believe in respecting someone just because of who they are, you should always have to earn it.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Both. I already give a bit of respect to most people in varying degrees. Further respect has to be earned. I'm always polite and somewhat humble, but if you really want me to respect your authority entirely you'll have to do things extremely well.
Both. You should respect somebody from the start, but if you learn more about them they can lose that respect. So everybody should begin by being respected in your eyes, however, people do/say mean or dumb stuff, thus losing that respect.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
definitely given. until they do something to lose that respect...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Everyone should be given a default amount of respect, maybe the benefit of not being judged or sized up until further knowledge is gained about them? Once you get to know how the said person generally roles with things, you can say they've earned respect or lost respect for you.
When you meet someone there has to be a mutual level of respect for one another to some degree. From there on out it is either earned or lost based on your interactions with one another.
I always respect people, but more so and longer sustained when they respect me.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Both, I give everyone a certain amount of respect, and depending on what I know about them, more or less.

If you're a person who sticks up for other people, you have my respect.

But if you're some wannabe thug that goes "Wassup, stupid bitch ass (n-word)." and picks on everyone, you're not gonna get my respect.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Elderly, a given, because they've earned it.

Women, they need to earn it just as much as men do!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Every body deserves to be treated with respect and dignity.
You have to work to earn my trust however.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by gatechballer
Both. You should respect somebody from the start, but if you learn more about them they can lose that respect. So everybody should begin by being respected in your eyes, however, people do/say mean or dumb stuff, thus losing that respect.

This.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Jackal58
Every body deserves to be treated with respect and dignity.
You have to work to earn my trust however.

That.
i think everyone gets respect until they show they don't deserve it. Everyone gets my respect to begin with, until i see a reason to take it away.

TM

EDIT in other words this:

Quote by gatechballer
Last edited by tim_mop at Jun 12, 2010,
Earnt. Given through past earning though. If you've earnt respect doing a lot of stuff for one person, the respect should be given to you from another person instead of you having to do it all again.
definitely earned...seeing as i have old norse pagan roots, it is only tradition that if someone shows you respect, you show them respect. if someone doesnt show you respect, dont show them respect. thats what i think anyways, and it makes sense. give what you get...
Uhh, both.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
What about opinions? If someone says "that's my opinion and you should respect it" do you agree with that?
Given and maintained.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Kensai
What about opinions? If someone says "that's my opinion and you should respect it" do you agree with that?

No, your opinions are all retarded.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by FrenchyFungus
No, your opinions are all retarded.

Funny, we usually agree on things
Quote by Kensai

Yeah definitely. You don't have to agree with an opinion to respect it.
Earned, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't respect someone you just met. They don't get any more than "I don't disrespect you" withut earning it though.

Edit;
Quote by Kensai

Depends on what they say. If they're going to tell me that I'm a serial rapist and that's their opinion, then no, I don't respect that because I'm not. If they're going to tell me they believe in creatonism and that's their opinion, I'll respect that despite believing in evolution. It depends on what the "opinion" is.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 12, 2010,
Skinhead: " Black people are a menace to society"
Black person: " I respect that because that is your opinion"

NO.

Opinion should be considered redundant when it encroaches equality.
We exist as subjective beings but that personal freedom should not be detrimental to another person's personal freedom. There is no greater respect than respecting each other's equality.

Moving on, I do not know whether respect should be given or earned because an ordinary mother of two could be more meritorious and 'respect-worthy' than a war hero.

So I think respect should not at all be given to a person but rather to his/her qualities that you subjectively find admirable.

That is my hopefully non-redundant opinion.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by Kensai

Yeah, you can respectfully disagree. Which i find myself doing a lot
Quote by Kensai

Yeah, though a lot of people who say that mean "I don't care if I'm being unreasonable or ignorant and will not consider anything you have to say regarding the matter."
Both...that person can take that respect away by doing stupid things, but you should give them respect first, then let them earn more or less of it.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
Quote by Kensai

So long as I can agree with what he/she bases that opinion on, yes. I don't respect opinions based on nothing or on utter shit, and I don't think those should be respected
Quote by leg end
It should be given when it is earned

i think you just won the thread.
GEAR:
Fender Classic Player Jaguar Special HH
Ibanez RGA-32
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pod Studio GX + Pod Farm
Last edited by Zead2 at Jun 12, 2010,
Page 1 of 3