Ok so I am coming to you guys for any advice you can give me to help me make my instrumentals more interesting and ease the writing process for me. First off I would like to say that I have no problem writing the music itself. It's the arranging of the music which seems to really be my problem.

For instance, too much repetition of certain parts, and the song becomes too repetitive and boring, no repetition and you end up writing a 4-5 minute solo which can also be hard to keep the listeners attention, keep things interesting, and not to mention that it is significantly harder to write something that long without a constant melody. When writing instrumentals you can't exactly use the same melody over and over like you could in most songs with singing. Lets face it in most songs with singing you can repeat the melody but because you can change the words each time you do so, no one minds. In instrumental music if you do that your song becomes too repetitive.

Also in most songs you're kind of building up to a climax of sorts. For me when i am writing instrumental music this seems to be another aspect that i am kind of struggling with. I build the song up and up but then i just find myself kind of lost as to what to do for that final "smack in the face", the thing that makes you go oh wow this song is amazing. For example maybe in a normal song you could add a guitar solo, but what do you do if your entire song is a guitar solo up to that point haha?

Hopefully someone sort of understands what I'm getting at. Anyways, any songs to look at, composers, links, advice, you guys could give me would be much appreciated.
Hey! I listened to alot of instrumental music growing up. I can't really help you here. But I could drop some names for you to check out. Saw soundtrack (the first one), Velvet Acid Christ, Wumpscut. Buckethead is another good one, his songs are mostly instrumental or very little lyrics. As for the other ones, they're industrial music groups with very little lyrics too. Keep head banging.
how about theory? do you know it?

you honestly don't need it, but in my opinion, writing a good instrumental without theory is like writing a pop song without knowing a language.

EDIT: fix'd
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Jun 12, 2010,
Try listening and studying classical music. There are a bunch of forms of songs, like the Sonata and other forms.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by AeolianWolf

you honestly don't need it, but in my opinion, writing a good instrumental without theory is like writing a pop song without knowing a language.

Fix'd.

But this.

I might put more later... but I don't feel like it right now haha
Quote by dont_cry789
Ok so I am coming to you guys for any advice you can give me to help me make my instrumentals more interesting and ease the writing process for me. First off I would like to say that I have no problem writing the music itself. It's the arranging of the music which seems to really be my problem.

For instance, too much repetition of certain parts, and the song becomes too repetitive and boring, no repetition and you end up writing a 4-5 minute solo which can also be hard to keep the listeners attention, keep things interesting, and not to mention that it is significantly harder to write something that long without a constant melody. When writing instrumentals you can't exactly use the same melody over and over like you could in most songs with singing. Lets face it in most songs with singing you can repeat the melody but because you can change the words each time you do so, no one minds. In instrumental music if you do that your song becomes too repetitive.

Also in most songs you're kind of building up to a climax of sorts. For me when i am writing instrumental music this seems to be another aspect that i am kind of struggling with. I build the song up and up but then i just find myself kind of lost as to what to do for that final "smack in the face", the thing that makes you go oh wow this song is amazing. For example maybe in a normal song you could add a guitar solo, but what do you do if your entire song is a guitar solo up to that point haha?

Hopefully someone sort of understands what I'm getting at. Anyways, any songs to look at, composers, links, advice, you guys could give me would be much appreciated.

If you need to work on arranging, then study some arrangements. Get the score, get the music.... listen, observe. There are books and classes you can take on the subject as well.

Probably not going to learn it in depth in a forum.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by AeolianWolf

EDIT: fix'd

I have a fairly good grasp on theory, however, like i said it's not writing the music itself that i'm having a problem; it's making the music interesting without vocals. For example, take almost any rock or pop song, take out the vocals, and replace it with an instrument playing the exact same melody. Chances are that without the words, the song will be a lot less interesting, and will be a lot more repetitive. Now this doesnt exactly mean that my music style is pop or rock but that is just to give you an idea what Im trying to get at. Anyways thank you to whoever mentioned looking at classical music, and I do plan on paying closer attention to how other instrumentals are made up.
Quote by dont_cry789
I have a fairly good grasp on theory, however, like i said it's not writing the music itself that i'm having a problem; it's making the music interesting without vocals. For example, take almost any rock or pop song, take out the vocals, and replace it with an instrument playing the exact same melody. Chances are that without the words, the song will be a lot less interesting, and will be a lot more repetitive. Now this doesnt exactly mean that my music style is pop or rock but that is just to give you an idea what Im trying to get at. Anyways thank you to whoever mentioned looking at classical music, and I do plan on paying closer attention to how other instrumentals are made up.

the thing is that vocals convey something that guitar simply cannot - words. something that the listener can actually objectively understand (at least, more so than music itself - there can still be interpretations within concrete words).

seems to me that you need to learn some orchestration. learn how to create certain feels. even the most ridiculously simple melody can be entertaining if orchestrated right. the same melodic line will have a completely different impact depending on whether it's played on a flute, a tuba, a pizzicato viola, or an electric guitar. honestly, if you listen to classical music (study the scores, too, if you can read notation), you can learn a thing or two about orchestration. so consider expanding your instrumentation - i.e. is it just a guitar, bass and drums? or can you add something more?
Quote by AeolianWolf
the thing is that vocals convey something that guitar simply cannot - words.

Typical amateur comment of a man without a talk box...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
Typical amateur comment of a man without a talk box...

i KNEW someone was going to bring that up! but yeah, i'm too poor to afford a talk box.

i'm too poor to afford a lot of things, actually.