So I've been working on my guitar playing pretty steadily, now my alternate picking has gotten a lot better, my sweeping is slow but coming along, and my legato is damn good in my opinion. My issue now is that I don't know what to do when I go to improvise. I can doodle around the pentatonics, and when I practice by myself I can noodle around the major scale, but when it comes time to play i can't think of interesting ways to move around the fretboard and things like that. Is this just a matter of learning various artists' solos? Or should I be practicing differently?

Thanks
You need to play the music in your head. Don't just noodle around. You should hear the notes as you play them. Being able to translate from your brain to the guitar is the hardest part, but just keep at it and you'll definitely see progress.

Oh and start slow. Play simple phrases. You already have good technical ability, so when your ears and brain learn how to create fast phrases on the fly, you will have the means to do so, which is very helpful.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Last edited by hockeyplayer168 at Jun 12, 2010,