Hi,

I have started playing the guitar for about 6, 7 months, I still can't play the F chord where you have to lay your index across the first fret, the sound is either mute or buzz. Is there a way to overcome this?

Thanks for your helps,

Kenny
Just keep practising, try to develope more strength in your fingers. It comes with time.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Try making that same chord on higher frets..
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
the day i started playing power chords i had no problem with the F (the D was harder somehow) and that was because ive been doing martial arts for half a decade, so the strength was there.

all you have to do is keep practicing and the strength will come slowly
but do you want it fast someone told me this trick:

take your guitar and make the F chord, then remove all other fingers except the one that barre all the strings, and sit down in the sofa and watch TV for an hour
do that for a week and you will have no problems
(although it will hurt the first days, and you MUST make stretching once in a while, every 5 minutes, to avoid too much pressure)
its to build strength
Realistically if you're just going to play a power chord then you don't really need all 6 strings to ring out anyway. Just worry about the top three strings. Put your index finger on the low E string on the first fret and then put your ring finger across the next two strings (the A and D string) on the third fret. Now, just strum those three strings. Unless you're going for some higher pitches then you won't really need the other strings for a power chord. Once you get this finger position down, just move it up and down the E string and practice each chord. Then, move the entire fingering position over one string so that your index finger is on the A string and your ring finger is on the D & G strings. Only pick those three strings (try to slightly mute the low E string with the tip of you index finger so it doesn't ring out when you play). If you can get this technique down then you can play the rhythm to any song out there.

Good luck!
do you mean a barre chord? make sure your thumb is right behind your hand in the middle of the neck, It should help you get your finger to lay across the strings better.
He never said power chord. He means a basic F chord.

x

or a barre F

Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Last edited by SLonergan at Jun 12, 2010,
That would be a barre chord, power chords are just the top 3 notes in a barre chord and are incredibly easy to play in comparison.

Struggling with Barre chords is something just about every guitarist goes through. Just keep practicing and you'll eventually get it.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Your 1st problem is that it's called a barre chord. It's also a pita. Give it time. I ain't gonna lie; I never use barre chords though, lol.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Your 1st problem is that it's called a barre chord. It's also a pita. Give it time. I ain't gonna lie; I never use barre chords though, lol.

Hehehe, I thought the same thing.

Thanks guys, I am talking about the power chord, I have no pb with the basic F chord with 4 strings play.
Quote by Tim the Rocker
the day i started playing power chords i had no problem with the F (the D was harder somehow) and that was because ive been doing martial arts for half a decade, so the strength was there.

all you have to do is keep practicing and the strength will come slowly
but do you want it fast someone told me this trick:

take your guitar and make the F chord, then remove all other fingers except the one that barre all the strings, and sit down in the sofa and watch TV for an hour
do that for a week and you will have no problems
(although it will hurt the first days, and you MUST make stretching once in a while, every 5 minutes, to avoid too much pressure)
its to build strength

Thanks, I will give it a shot.
Yeah don´t worry i only got the F chord after about 1,5 years of playing. On my third year now and still can´t get the A string to ring properly on some guitars.
Do you shift your thumb to below the line on the back of the fretboard in order to compensate for the index finger going across the entire neck?