if i take my guitar apart, for cleaning and stuff (like un bolt the neck etc.) will anything happen to the neck because of the lack of tension? and if i leave the neck on, but take all the strings off, will anything happen?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
If you only do it to take off the strings then you'll be fine. I've done that several times, and my neck is still perfectly straight.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Like anything based on organic materials (wood), the shorter the amount of time you have the neck off the better.

Think of it almost as a living thing and as such treat it with the same respect you would expect a surgeon to have for you.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Why take it apart in the first place?
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
Why take it apart in the first place?

Clean the dust underneath the heal, oil the neck without the body being in the way, putting on a different bolt-on plate, polish the body without the neck in the way, put stronger bolts in...

I can't think of much else.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Clean the dust underneath the heal, oil the neck without the body being in the way, putting on a different bolt-on plate, polish the body without the neck in the way, put stronger bolts in...

You shouldn't have to worry about cleaning under the heel to much. It normally stays pretty clean down there so you shouldn't even worry about that.
Also how will the body get in the way when you oil the fretboard? I've done it several times, and the body didn't get in the way once. Also you won't have a problem doing the body with the neck on. Also unless you have a cheap starter guitar you won't need to worry about the screws or anything. They're normally made pretty strong to begin with. Hope that's more helpful.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

Putting in a shim, adjusting neck relief on some Teles etc.
so i shouldnt leave the neck off for very long? so if i put it back on, do i have to put strings back on?

ALSO: can i put a locking nut on a non FR guitar? for tuning stability purposes obviously
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Last edited by Dr.Tong at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by Dr.Tong
ALSO: can i put a locking nut on a non FR guitar? for tuning stability purposes obviously

If you put a locking nut on a guitar without a FR you won’t be able to tune the guitar. The tuners on a FR guitar only get you close, then the fine tuners on the bridge are used to get the strings in tune. If you’re getting a lot of slipping on the tuners get a set of locking tuners.
Quote by jpnyc
If you put a locking nut on a guitar without a FR you won’t be able to tune the guitar. The tuners on a FR guitar only get you close, then the fine tuners on the bridge are used to get the strings in tune. If you’re getting a lot of slipping on the tuners get a set of locking tuners.

This! However, before getting locking tuners (going at about 80bucks for a set?), check out the set-up thread at the top of the forum for a very good, thorough guide of how to lock your strings under their own tension. If you don't do that already, it should give a great improvement in overall stability as well!
Quote by Y00p
This! However, before getting locking tuners (going at about 80bucks for a set?), check out the set-up thread at the top of the forum for a very good, thorough guide of how to lock your strings under their own tension. If you don't do that already, it should give a great improvement in overall stability as well!

Yeah you should check that thread out. I had problems with tuning before I saw that thread, and now I can tune a guitar once, and it'll stay in tune for about 2 weeks. And this is on a squier, a cheap SG copy, and a $150 guitar I got off of rondo. So you should be fine once you look at that. Also make sure that you're getting enough winds around the post.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by Dr.Tong
so i shouldnt leave the neck off for very long? so if i put it back on, do i have to put strings back on?

Sorry for the double post, but you shouldn't leave the strings off to long. What you should do is wipe down the fretboard with lemon oil(you are talking about the ML right?) and let it sit for a few. Then you should repeat this about 4-5 times, and wipe off the excess oil. After that I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, and put new strings on.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
You shouldn't have to worry about cleaning under the heel to much. It normally stays pretty clean down there so you shouldn't even worry about that.
Also how will the body get in the way when you oil the fretboard? I've done it several times, and the body didn't get in the way once. Also you won't have a problem doing the body with the neck on. Also unless you have a cheap starter guitar you won't need to worry about the screws or anything. They're normally made pretty strong to begin with. Hope that's more helpful.

Well geez. I didn't know there was a specific way to clean a guitar.

I didn't say oil the fretboard, I said oil the neck. If i meant oiling the fretboard, I would have said treating it.

You could also need to re-fret the neck and want to take the neck off the guitar, who knows.

There's a bunch of stuff you can do by taking the neck off, why does it matter what you do? Every guitar is different, its not like every guitar is just like yours where you never need to remove the neck for any reason.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Well geez. I didn't know there was a specific way to clean a guitar.

I didn't say oil the fretboard, I said oil the neck. If i meant oiling the fretboard, I would have said treating it.

You could also need to re-fret the neck and want to take the neck off the guitar, who knows.

There's a bunch of stuff you can do by taking the neck off, why does it matter what you do? Every guitar is different, its not like every guitar is just like yours where you never need to remove the neck for any reason.

Alright I guess I misunderstood that. I assumed that you meant the fretboard, so next time I guess I'll make sure I know what the person means before I answer.
Also there was nothing said about re-fretting(unless I overlooked it). I can understand removing the neck for that, but I've never run into a scenario where I needed to remove the neck for cleaning.
Quote by L2112Lif
Your neck will be fine.

Think about it logically. If you believe your fears are true, then how would it be possible for any guitar to be set up/re-strung? Obviously the neck was fine before strings were ever put on it in the first place, so why would it suddenly get destroyed by taking them off again?

Guitars are very strong and sturdy things (unless you have a Gibson), and they don't just self destruct or fall apart for reasons such as not playing it, leaving it unstrung, restringing it, taking it apart, etc. All of those things were done before it was ever shipped to a store or warehouse, and doing it again won't hurt it at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
coool, thanks guys!
so why would putting on a locking nut not work? wouldnt i tune it up perfectly, lock the nut, and then it stays? and then wouldnt i need to use a string retainer? if its possible of course
and if it is possible, how do i convert a non FR nut to an FR nut?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
People make guitars out to be a lot more flimsy than they are.

A neck will not bow so much that it becomes unplayable just by letting it sit without strings on it. The strings do not provide THAT MUCH tension. Any sort of bowing that occurs (unlikely) can easily be fixed by adjusting the truss rod. I had a guitar of mine in two pieces for about a year, taking the neck back and forth to school so that I could use it as a guide for a build. It did not move in the slightest.

OP you'll be fine.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by Dr.Tong
coool, thanks guys!
so why would putting on a locking nut not work? wouldnt i tune it up perfectly, lock the nut, and then it stays? and then wouldnt i need to use a string retainer? if its possible of course
and if it is possible, how do i convert a non FR nut to an FR nut?

You don't want to do that. It's far more trouble than it's worth. Even if you tuned your guitar perfectly, when you clamp the locking nut, it will go slightly sharp or flat, and you'll then have no way to adjust it. Locking nuts are designed to be used with locking bridges, and are unusable on other types of bridges.

If you're that concerned about having something "locking", get locking tuners - they'll cost less, and be far more effective than trying to convert a standard nut to a locking nut.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ok cool, thanks man i just thought it kinda made sense but whatever. but would the type of nut affect tuning stability? like the difference between a regular bone nut, and a Graph Tech Lubricated TUSQ? obviously there is for a trem guitar but for a TOM?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
ok cool, thanks man i just thought it kinda made sense but whatever. but would the type of nut affect tuning stability? like the difference between a regular bone nut, and a Graph Tech Lubricated TUSQ? obviously there is for a trem guitar but for a TOM?

If there is no binding at the nut now, this will not likely improve things. You can get inexpensive lubricants for the nut or just shave off some graphite (pencil lead) and lubricate it with that.

Contrary to some opinions, strings do add a lot of tension. Roughly 90lb, in fact. If you plan to have the neck off for a long period (days or weeks) you should slacken the truss rod. (Frankly, wood being wood, I would not be screwing that on and off unless absolutely necessary, such as for a repair.)

Locking tuners will help with tuning stability only if your problem is string slippage at the machine head. If your guitar lives in a fluctuating environment, you'll just have to get used to tweaking it.