ok, so i recently decided to more completly learn music theory, i have a basic grasp on it, but i want to learn the ins and outs of it, etc. so..... where do i start if i want to learn music theory? can anyone help me out? i just started memorising all the major scales but im not exactly sure if thats what i should be doing... haha. if anyone more experienced with theory could help me out that's be great
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
gawd... theres so many lessons
If I stay too quiet
Death cold air is moving

ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
Don't worry it takes less time to watch all those lessons then it does to watch a movie.
i don't know why i feel so dry
lol, should i just take like a few of them each day or wha? i dont want to just watch them all and not get anything out of it haha
If I stay too quiet
Death cold air is moving

ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
Quote by Blackritual0
lol, should i just take like a few of them each day or wha? i dont want to just watch them all and not get anything out of it haha

Are you seriously asking us this?
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
wow, yeah i did. gimee a break, i just woke up XD well now that i feel like a complete idiot...
If I stay too quiet
Death cold air is moving

ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
Quote by Blackritual0

Do you know the notes on the fretboard?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Blackritual0
ok, so i recently decided to more completly learn music theory, i have a basic grasp on it, but i want to learn the ins and outs of it, etc. so..... where do i start if i want to learn music theory? can anyone help me out? i just started memorising all the major scales but im not exactly sure if thats what i should be doing... haha. if anyone more experienced with theory could help me out that's be great

Prepatory:

1) build up a repertoire of music

2) learn to read standard notation

then when you have that foundation:

1) take a theory class and/or study from a theory textbook.

If your serious about learning music theory, be patient. There is alot too it, and its important to start from the beginning.

Or you could read a bunch of random lessons online, learn some fancy words out of context, and then toss them around with authority in arguments online. Thats what alot of people do anyway.

This site (as has been suggested) is actually pretty good and could probably help you out.

http://www.musictheory.net/
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by steven seagull
Do you know the notes on the fretboard?

more or less, i cant name what each frets note is off the top off my head tho, it takes me a few seconds, but i pretty much have it.
If I stay too quiet
Death cold air is moving

ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
Quote by Blackritual0
more or less, i cant name what each frets note is off the top off my head tho, it takes me a few seconds, but i pretty much have it.

work on this until you can do that. but for now, that's a good start.

a bit of advice on learning theory - move on to the next topic only when you have secured your knowledge of the previous topic. theory is cumulative, and what i mean by this is that it's difficult learning a new topic if you don't know the topic before it. much like learning a completely new language. like learning russian. first you learn the cyrillic script. only then do you go on to new words and phrases. then comes grammar, and then other structural devices. then the traits that are idiomatic to the language.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by GuitarMunky

Or you could read a bunch of random lessons online, learn some fancy words out of context, and then toss them around with authority in arguments online. Thats what alot of people do anyway.

Hey, there's no need to hate on learning theory online. Every scrap of theory I know came from the internet.

@ OP, If you are gonna learn online, its not a bad idea to come back here and check with others if you really do grasp something. Most of the people in MT are very kind and helpful.
"His name is Robert Paulson"
Quote by Unlockitall
Hey, there's no need to hate on learning theory online. Every scrap of theory I know came from the internet.

he's not hating on learning theory at all. he's just pointing out what some people do - i.e., completely glaze over the important stuff, learn patterns and think they're all their own separate scales without learning to apply them, etc. people tend to learn theory out of context because they don't fully understand it.

i don't think anyone hates on learning theory. i learned it from the internet, too. hell, i think i learned about secondary dominants from wikipedia.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.