I just got my first cab/head. I bought them separately, so I am wondering what plugs into what.

The head is a line 6 Valve HD100, cab is a Randall 412 XL(not sure on the exact model)

The cab has an input for 4 ohm mono, or 16 ohm mono, and the head has output for 4 ohm mono or 16 ohm mono.

My question is, do i use the 4 ohm or 16 ohm?
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
Either as long as they match.

I'm going to assume you know to use a speaker cable; an instrument cable will fry if you try to use one to connect a head and cab.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jun 12, 2010,
I did not know that Justin. Thanks. This is my first time with this stuff. Will just the cable fry, or will it hurt the amp?
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
It could potentially hurt the amp too. Anything from a blown fuse which is easy to replace to catastrophic failure in the poweramp which means you would be looking for a new amp. What actually happens is dependent on the amp design.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
So is there any difference in sound/power/etc from using 4ohm or 16ohm if i match them?
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
I really doubt the cable would fry. It'd cause huge stress to the output transformer though which is arguably the most expensive part of your amplifier.
So yeah, use a speaker cable!

16 ohms might be marginally (possibly inaudibly) quieter than 4 ohms I suppose?
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
So to someone like me (very new with half stacks) there is no discernible difference?

Is it bad if i used the instrument cable for about 15 minutes of playing or so at low volumes? Cause i kinda already did....
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
Quote by cardiac_arrest
So to someone like me (very new with half stacks) there is no discernible difference?

Is it bad if i used the instrument cable for about 15 minutes of playing or so at low volumes? Cause i kinda already did....

http://deathvalleycablecompany.com/faqs-technical.html#speakercable
read that, lots of good info and well written

Yes that is bad, though I'm guessing you got lucky and didn't manage to do any damage.
Quote by justinb904
http://deathvalleycablecompany.com/faqs-technical.html#speakercable
read that, lots of good info and well written

Yes that is bad, though I'm guessing you got lucky and didn't manage to do any damage.

This article is all the more hilarious because I used an instrument cable for awhile until I found out a speaker cable is a necessity. No damage.

Maybe I got lucky. I'm just saying they use a lot of absolute qualifiers (like many of you) which are logical fallacies, all it takes is one person (Me, Lol) to totally blow open their claims and crush their credibility.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
This article is all the more hilarious because I used an instrument cable for awhile until I found out a speaker cable is a necessity. No damage.

Maybe I got lucky. I'm just saying they use a lot of absolute qualifiers (like many of you) which are logical fallacies, all it takes is one person (Me, Lol) to totally blow open their claims and crush their credibility.

Maybe so, but I'd rather be safe then sorry, and get a speaker cable.
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
Quote by cardiac_arrest
Maybe so, but I'd rather be safe then sorry, and get a speaker cable.

Agreed. With my knowledge now I'd never use an instrument cable to connect my head/cab again. But my point still stands.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
OK, this stuff seriously needs to stop. it's definitely not optimal or anything to use an instrument cable, but people have been doing it for a long time, so to say that within 15-20 seconds itll kill your amp is just stupid.

for the last decade i've used instrument cables to connect my heads to my cabs. everything from a crate v5 to a mesa dual rectifier, and plenty in between. and guess what... ive never blown anything. no cables have ever caught fire, and no amps have been damaged. does that mean it cant get damaged? of course not. is it a good idea? i doubt it. that doesnt change the fact that going around spreading these kinds of ridiculous rumors isnt helping anybody.

i agree 100% with people that say use a speaker cable, and i would recommend it as well. but we need to stop spreading the idea that the 1% anomaly is a 100% guarantee
Last edited by josephde at Jun 12, 2010,