Just got a job, and I'm looking to save up for a couple months.

Will be gigging, and will be practicing in my room a lot, though I can crank pretty loud so that Mark V being tube doesn't matter.

The Mark V pretty much has my perfect tone(s), but after I spend a whopping 2 grand, I still have to buy pedals and crap. The Axe FX has tons of amp models and effects built in, and is cheaper. I've heard people get some VERY convincing Mark and Recto tones out of the Axe FX, but I still feel like I'll be missing out if I don't get the real deal.

I also have some questions about the Axe. How do you use it live, though a cab or straight to PA? Would it even sound good live? A Mark V combo just seems more convenient as you can just mic a combo and you're done, or if it's a small gig, it should be able to hold it's own.

Also, how do you control effects with the Axe FX? It doesn't seem like it come with a controller or anything. How would I control my effects/presets live?

Any help appreciated.
Last edited by Ignite at Jun 12, 2010,
Mark V: fragile harmonics, crystal lettuce, haunting mids

Axe-FX: plastic creaminess and 011010000111010101110100

Now the serious part:

You can use the Axe live as part of a rack-setup (with power-amp and cab) or straight into the PA (power-amp and cab simulation).

To control the effects you will have to buy a MIDI-controller (to store and switch presets), and maybe a MIDI-expression pedal (for wah, pitch-shifter, volume-pedal etc.).
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Axe is a better purchase IMO unless you score a Mark V super cheap
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
This is what i know about each

Mark V: Whether you care, it's what John Petrucci uses live (trust me, i just saw them last night at a Dream Theather Iron Maiden concert :P) It also is pretty much all of the greatest amps that mesa has made, all jammed into one box, so it's a great amp if you like the mesa sound, just somewhat expensive as you said. So, if you like the tone, then a good buy

Axe Fx: This next part is important, there are 2 versions, normal and Ultra, ultra has more processing power, a few more effects, the ability to dual amp, and more as i recall. What's unique about the axe fx is it's design, it wasn't made to model things like line 6 products, they just made a ss preamp that could sound like just about anything, and then gave "models" to allow a starting point for some people, but realistically, it actually models the CIRCUIT, that means it is more than extremely tweakable, include effects wise. Good piece of gear especially compared to other similar products

Mark V:
Pros: has power amp in it, wide variety of tones, well built, Great sounds, from what you say, exactly what you want
Cons: VERY pricey, you would have to buy pedals/fx and a cab to go with it, bad cab can mean bad sound, somewhat complicated not too bad though, has tubes that need to be replaced

Axe Fx:
Pros: normal is cheaper, has tons of effects, tons of different tones, VERY tweakable, good reliabilty, no tubes to change, easy to transport,
Cons: Ultra is the same price as the Mark V head, for optimal sound you need a FRFR (Full Range Flat Response ) System, which can cost much more than pedals and cab depending on quality, due to depth of tweaking, can be overwhelming in parameters aka, can be really complicated

This is all the information i have collected, i haven't tried either in person, but to put into perspective, as i mention petrucci uses Mark V's live, BUT HE USES AXE FX IN THE STUDIO NOW, so both are good, just preference i suppose

hope this info helps

PS: i'm in the same boat to a point, i'm trying to line out a good amp setup for the future to use fo 5+ years and Axe Fx is on the list, but is pretty much the most expensive thing i'm looking at
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
As great as AxeFX sounds, the idea of not using amps now makes me disappointed

It seems great for recording though.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
You don't need a FRFR full range flat response system for axe-fx, you can turn off cab simulation.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Funnily enough he also uses an Axe-Fx.

no offense, but check later in my post, i mention this

and TS like i said, it's your choice, to be honest, Axe Fx looks like a real pain to use if you don't know what you're doing, whereas the mark wouldn't be, but both have excellent tone, the reason why many artists use them is because the versatility, but some still use amps live, so whatever floats your boat
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by stykerwolf
Yeah i know it's youtube, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ElWp7Mquo8&feature=related holy crapness.

Have you seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76S3E-wEgYY

Wow thanks everyone for the fast replies.
I think I'm leaning more for the Mark as it's everything I want. The Axe does seems like a pain, but I don't know if I'll be able to help myself once I get enough money for it. Plus buying a controller+poweramp+whatever seems a bit impractical.
^That's actually only sort of true. JP uses an AxeFx for effects, but his core tone is still Mark V's. Vai is doing the same thing. If you guys check out the interviews where they talk about the Axe, both of them say that.

Having said that, I'd still vote for the Axe. I'm saving up for one of them to use in the home studio and in conjunction with the Engl Jeff Loomis/Chris Broderick style.
Quote by Ignite
Have you seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76S3E-wEgYY

Wow thanks everyone for the fast replies.
I think I'm leaning more for the Mark as it's everything I want. The Axe does seems like a pain, but I don't know if I'll be able to help myself once I get enough money for it. Plus buying a controller+poweramp+whatever seems a bit impractical.

yeah i know that guy, he had an ENGL Savage some time...