I ready in reviews for alot of my favorite -core bands that they use smth li Gothenburg style riffs (Here Comes The Kraken, etc...)
But i have no idea what kind of riffs are those and where they originated...

Can someone xplain me plz :S
If you can read this... you can read!

Quote by Fat Lard
    I like semen, so what?
    Riffs from the sweedish Melo-death bands like In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility....most of the bands originated in Gothenberg Sweeden.
    Riffs that involve pedal point technique,

i.e.
    D-----------------------------------------------------
    A-----5----7----8----10------8-------7*-----------
    D--0----0----0----0-----000---000---------------

Melodic death metal bands, with bands from Gothenburg, Sweden in particular (In Flames, At the Gates, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility) were some of the first bands to do riffing like this. I think a lot of it was based off of thrash bands like Anthrax and some early Metallica who were know for chugging on open strings.

Now most metalcore bands have adopted these kinds of riffs into their playing style, and you can hear a big influence in a lot of the earlier melodic metalcore bands like Trivium, All that Remains, and Killswitch Engage. I hear a lot of In Flames in Trivium's album Ascendancy. Unfortunately, it would appear that this melodic death metal influence is unknown amoungst many of the new metalcore bands springing up everywhere....
    Last edited by aCloudConnected at Jun 12, 2010,
    Thanks for the great information <3

Well then most of my favorite bands are Gotenburg riff rip-offs

But i love the sound of it <3

Quote by Fat Lard
      I like semen, so what?
      You're gonna want to look at Terminal Spirit Disease and Slaughter of the Soul era At The Gates.
      i don't know why i feel so dry
      Terminal spirit disease is a frikkin awesome song... however its the only one i like from At the gates... sigh
      Quote by Eastwinn
      You're gonna want to look at Terminal Spirit Disease and Slaughter of the Soul era At The Gates.

you kind of crap yourself when you realise Slaughter of the Soul was released in 1995
      Quote by evolucian
      Terminal spirit disease is a frikkin awesome song... however its the only one i like from At the gates... sigh

Really? Cause I super-duper-love The Red in the Sky is Ours (or whatever the name of it is ).
      i don't know why i feel so dry
      Yep... its the only musical one to me... the rest was crap... for me though, not everyone else
      Slaughter of the Soul

WAS FREAKIN' AWESOME!

Well now i get where most of modern -core bands got their inspiration and imo this is a great thing <3

Quote by Fat Lard
        I like semen, so what?