Hi guys, newbie here. I've been slowing building a home studio, buying mics and just a built a pretty fast computer for it now I'm looking for an audio interface and the m audio fast track ultra 8r seems to be what I'm looking for. I want to be able to record a whole band playing at once for a rough draft of songs or to record jam sessions and then plan on recording each instrument individually and mixing it all together for the final product. I just want a second opinion on this interface before I shell out $500.00 for it, so does the fast track ultra sound good for my needs? Thanks!
it looks pretty good read some good reviews and some videos
my freind has one he says ifs very stable
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
i have a smaller fast track that i use and i love it but if you're looking to do a whole band you might want a few more imputs because mic-ing a drum set will take up a good amount of your imputs if done correctly
go for it!

Originally Posted by anonymus
I voted "evolutionism", though. Cuz you know... it's sciencey.

Originally Posted by anonymus
We were all created by God...
As Monkeys...
Then evolved.
End Debate.
I figured that 8 inputs might not be enough to get the best recording of a whole band when were just playing and improvising but the drums will have 5 inputs when we record as a whole band(guitar,bass vocal will take up the other 3) so I plan on recording each instrument individually when we do a final product, I just like to record us improvising as a band and then go back to listen to it and make notes of the parts I like to add to a final version of a song. Thanks for your input guys, I will definitely be buying this now.
i usually go for m-audio stuff, but this might be better for $500.

however, 8 inputs is cutting it close for a full band. that gives you vox, bass, 2 guitars and 4 mics for drums. if you have any a need for more inputs than that, you are out of luck. thats the most you can get for that kind of money of course, but its a bit low for doing a full band.
USB is ok for 2-4 tracks, barely ok with 6 tracks, AND if you are ready to deal with the latency.

If you are thinking about recording 8 tracks simultaneously, you should seriously ask yourself why you are discarding firewire in favor of usb, even if it's usb 2.

There are serious issues with the usb protocol that make it far from ideal for handling multiple streams of audio.
well my computers motherboard doesn't support firewire, and I dont really feel like buying one that does support it. I only plan on recording a full band when we are just playing together and coming up with stuff and messing around, I plan on recording each instrument individually for the final recording of a song.
Quote by toby56
well my computers motherboard doesn't support firewire, and I dont really feel like buying one that does support it.

Ever heard of extension cards and boards ?
You can get a 2-port firewire PCMCIA/Express/PCI/PCI-Express interface for $20.
yeah man didn't think about that, Ive never had a reason to use firewire before so excuse me for not thinking that
Last edited by toby56 at Jun 12, 2010,
I agree with ColdGin.

Realistically, USB can record up to 4 tracks at the same time without latency. Anything higher then that, and you get latency.

Hence why most interfaces with a lot of inputs are firewire.

Try the one jof suggested (Presonus FireStudio Interface) or shoot for the M-Audio Profire 2626.
well after reviewing the PreSonus FireStudio Project Recording Interface and watching demos of it, this is what im getting thanks for the insight you guys.
Last edited by toby56 at Jun 12, 2010,
you shouldnt get latency if your pc is otimised right
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club