Allo, It has been a while.

I recently decided to get back into playing bass, but I have also recently decided that the Traben Phoenix 5 string I own is not doing it for me.

So, I am interested in this;

It's a fender mexican jazz in lake placid blue with a maple neck, the local guitar place will get me one in for £500, and they are always good for a pack of strings, free setup and maintenance etc.

Do you approve? Or should I maybe try and stretch further? They offered me a second hand Fender American Standard Jazz for £500 plus my Traben, but that was well over budget, and I don't like the thought of a second hand bass!
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
for £600 you can get a second hand MIA jazz.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
for £600 you can get a second hand MIA jazz.

Maybe so, but there is something a little bit wrong with playing a second hand bass. In my opinion, you don't finger another mans woman do you? The same should apply for bass!

And the thing with second hand is, you have to settle for a colour which you might not have your heart set on. Like sunburst. Pig disgusting.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Yea right ok,
you dont seem to have any common sense take it or leave it.

I buy second bass's, why cause you get a bass with a bit of character to it, its cheaper, its a bit more mellow then.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jun 12, 2010,
I'm pretty sure saying that I don't like second hand basses for whatever reason, doesn't imply I lack common sense. It's a personal opinion, oh wow.
Quote by Metalcredge
I'm pretty sure saying that I don't like second hand basses for whatever reason, doesn't imply I lack common sense. It's a personal opinion, oh wow.

geddy lee bought his old fender jazz bass second hand.... it obviously doesn't make that much of a difference.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Well, your tastes simply conflict with a lot of people's opinions...
Sunburst is pig disgusting?
The concept of buying used instruments is below you?
I can see how some would be ticked off by that.

But as said before, Squier VM's are really good for their price, and can hold their own against MIM Fenders. I hear good things about the Squier Classic Vibe series too.
TS for the money you are willing to spend. I'd get a used jap of usa jazz bass. forget about mim or squires.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by flipsnake
Well, your tastes simply conflict with a lot of people's opinions...
Sunburst is pig disgusting?
The concept of buying used instruments is below you?
I can see how some would be ticked off by that.

It's not below me as such, it is more that someone touched it other than me, and maybe they had a pee and didn't wash their hands. And now they have got pee everywhere.

I'm not a sunburst man, I guess I could have phrased that better.
Quote by Metalcredge
It's not below me as such, it is more that someone touched it other than me, and maybe they had a pee and didn't wash their hands. And now they have got pee everywhere.
Oh man, this reminds me of a buddy of mine...apparently, he had an argument with his bass-playing cousin. So he decided to ejaculate on the poor guy's bass. Right on the bridge, with all those nooks in it.
With that in mind, I can see why buying used could be unappealing. But if you trust your bass-inspection skills, then you should try a couple of second-hand instruments.
And a thorough cleaning is a given, of course.
Keep your Traben (you never know when you may want to play it again) and get a MIM or MIA (maybe a MIJ but I honestly know nothing about them.) Even though the Squires may be good, the Fenders have proven to be solid basses that will last you until you die.
I pride myself on my humility.
I wouldn't pay 500 for that.

I'm personally a big fan of Fenders. I've owned Squiers, MIMs, MIAs, and played a few MIJs. However, I don't think the MIM standards justify the price tag. However, I've owned one of the 70s reissue MIMs before, and the price tag was only slightly higher than the standards, but it played a lot better. If you're a fan of Geddy Lee, you'll be able to appreciate the 70s ones too (although perhaps not given your questionable views on Sunburst, but you can get them in black too).

The MIJ Fenders are pretty much as good as the MIA ones. They also have an arguably higher build quality. Although, especially recently, the MIJ ones aren't really any cheaper than the MIA ones.

Squiers are better value for money, but then cheap basses generally are. You have to pay a lot of money for a little improvement and so on and so forth. Really it depends on what you're going to be happy with; in your shoes, I'd buy a second hand MIA but if you can't bring yourself to do that, it's your choice. But I'd be weary of buying a new MIM standard, you'll likely struggle to get half of what you paid for it back if you come to sell it (which you probably would, I can only speak for myself, but a MIM never feels quite substantial enough in the long run).
You could buy it and give it a wipe down with some baby wipes or something.

To be honest ive always gone for playablitiy and sound over looks, if i can get a bass i really like for cheaper even if it isnt in my favourite color ill take it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
A fail-safe way of finding out if you REALLY want a bass. Take out the cash from an ATM and then go to the shop. Noodle around with the bass for a while and then see if you're willing to hand over the wad of cash.

My personal opinion, MIM Fenders really aren't worth it. They're sturdy (usually) but really just glorified entry level basses. To get a high standard bass you usually have to spend over £800 with a few exceptions (my ATK being one ) and of course you have to account for individual quality control.
Quote by Metalcredge
Maybe so, but there is something a little bit wrong with playing a second hand bass. In my opinion, you don't finger another mans woman do you? The same should apply for bass!.

This post makes me want to rage so much. Hmmm I could've paid $3500 for my Spector Euro 5 or the $2100 (including Epi T-bird trade) I did for it. The case has old QANTAS stickers all over it from being transported all over the world and I fucking love that. The bass has been places. Has a story. It's it's own entity. I'm the third owner of it.
As for the the woman comment I want to hit you seriously. Music has nothing to do with personal, human relationships. Music is it's own story. While it might dive into that realm sometimes (depending on the artist I guess) that's nothing to do with the instrument itself.
Pull your head out from your arse.

Summarising. I paid less than I could have for a new bass and got one that had it's own heritage, I'm happy with that.

Please excuse my drunkeness.
I get the feeling you may be some kind of germiphobe...
Theres a reason why people like to buy new basses. They're shiny, fresh, and the prospect of it being NEW is..well....exiting. Some people prefer to spend the extra dollar for fresh off the line products and thats just their preference. No need to be so hostile about it, guys.

If I were you, TS, Id use the money you have, keep the traben, and buy a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz. Use the remainder of the money to upgrade pickups, the bridge, mabey electronics. What you'll wind up with is a great bass that will last you a long, long, long while.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
Theres a reason why people like to buy new basses. They're shiny, fresh, and the prospect of it being NEW is..well....exiting. Some people prefer to spend the extra dollar for fresh off the line products and thats just their preference. No need to be so hostile about it, guys.

If I were you, TS, Id use the money you have, keep the traben, and buy a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz. Use the remainder of the money to upgrade pickups, the bridge, mabey electronics. What you'll wind up with is a great bass that will last you a long, long, long while.

I do get what you're saying. But untill my custom Jazz I'll stay with used basses. Every intrument has it's own story. Wheather it's been played buy bassists greater or lesser than myself. I feel my basses. My first bass belongs to my sister now. Sorry if this all sounds a bit pretencious but I really don't feel like a instrument should be left behind.
That Jazz is the Jazz bass twin to my P bass

There's nothing wrong with MIM's at all, but the do get a lot of flak for being overpriced. If you want the Jazz, I'd suggest, going with a used MIA or MIJ, or finding a used MIM somewhere in the same color with a maple board, and save some dough. There's enough used Fender's wandering the void of eBay and such that you should be able to find a suitable color and fretboard.

If you are dead set against going used, go and try a Squier VM and an MIM in a store. If you can't tell the difference, save some money and get the Squier. If the MIM feels better for whatever reason, then order an MIM.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
That Jazz is the Jazz bass twin to my P bass

There's nothing wrong with MIM's at all, but the do get a lot of flak for being overpriced. If you want the Jazz, I'd suggest, going with a used MIA or MIJ, or finding a used MIM somewhere in the same color with a maple board, and save some dough. There's enough used Fender's wandering the void of eBay and such that you should be able to find a suitable color and fretboard.

If you are dead set against going used, go and try a Squier VM and an MIM in a store. If you can't tell the difference, save some money and get the Squier. If the MIM feels better for whatever reason, then order an MIM.

+1
Best answer I've seen all thread.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil

This.

Quote by Tostitos

Cheers for the input. They are getting a MIM Jazz in this week, and they already have Squiers in, so I will give them both a blast.

And thanks for not biting my head off
Quote by Metalcredge
And thanks for not biting my head off

Haha no problem as an MIM owner myself I have to shamelessly promote my brand. But in all seriousness, give them a whirl, and get the one that feels best. The inflated price on the MIM is justified if it's THE bass for you
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I had my standard jazz for about 6 months now and had the same problem. I changed the strings GHS boomers and no more buzz. The tone even improved.
I bought a MIM Jazz bass brand new about seven or eight years ago, and while I do adore it, there's been a lot of work I had to put into it. I put on a new bridge (which, in my experience and from stories I've heard, is almost mandatory as the bride it comes with is quite crummy), had new pickups put in, and defretted it. While the last one wasn't necessary, I still had to pay about the difference between this bass and another Jazz with a better bridge and pickups.

Still, I love it, but I also love my G&L L-2500 that I bought used, and I'm a diagnosed obsessive compulsive who washes his hands all the time. The right bass is the right bass is all I'm saying.