Im trying to teach my girlfriend barre chords and shes having a tough time with it. Im 6'2'' with large hands and I have no problem with it but shes just over 5 foot with much smaller hands and struggles with it, is there anything I can do or show her to make it easier for her?
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Practise, I struggled with them at first and I have quite small hands. She just needs to keep at it and she realise she can do them eventually.
Barre chords are actually pretty tough to get down at first. Maybe you should start her with the open cowboy chords
Quote by DCarney9116
Im trying to teach my girlfriend barre chords and shes having a tough time with it. Im 6'2'' with large hands and I have no problem with it but shes just over 5 foot with much smaller hands and struggles with it, is there anything I can do or show her to make it easier for her?

use a lighter gauge of strings is one idea, but there are other, better methods.

obviously her hands wont get bigger, but a lot of guitarists struggle with bar chords at first. i definately reccomend she still practises the shapes.

you could get her a smaller guitar, teach her partial shapes (altered root note chords etc), use lighter strings, use a different tuning (open tunings for example, though that does still require barre chords sometimes, but not much): for that, open d is good for folky stuff, open g for country.

other people probably have better suggestions than me :P
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Get some lighter gauge strings.
Quote by Penis_wanker
hey guyz...i have a problem with my dick as i am trying to put inside the guitar input jack.

Its very small but it still doesn't fit in.

Can anyone give me some advice how i can put my dick in?

I am very horny right now

Cheers!
Playing barre chords is a function of strength, not hand size. The best thing to do is just work barre chords into practice between everything else so that the practice becomes a warm up like so:
• Chromatic scale up and down
•*Chromatic barre scale up and down
•*Pentatonic Scale
• Chromatic barre scale up and down
• Power Chord Song
• Barre Song
•*Open Chord Song
• Barre Song
• Lead repetition
• Barre Scale
And just keep at it until they get easy. If you need to find good barre songs just look up early rock/rockabilly song chords and play them with barre chords.
thanks for the suggestions and most of the music we listen to uses barre chords, (Im in a ska/punk band) The other day when I wrote this we were playing on my acoustic which I play with 13's but today we were using my les paul with 9's on it and it was a hell of a lot easier for her and shes starting to get the hang of it.
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
simple, get a new girlfriend.

lolz
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Start with teaching her power chords and basic chords, so as to develop some strength and dexterity. Then you can try to start working on barre chords. When I'm teaching that, I start by getting the student to just barre all across a fret with their index finger, like this:

-1-
-1-
-1-
-1-
-1-
-1-

Once they've got the ability to make all those notes ring cleanly, then you can add the other fingers. Start with a minor chord, then a major. She will get it eventually. My gf is only about 5'5' and she can do it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay