Page 1 of 2
Probably a newbie question but I'm wondering that because most of the songs I learned have a heavy metal sound or so and with my guitar it just sounds stupid
Gear:

Jay Turser 300
Marshall MG15FX

Future Gear:

Ibanez ART320
distortion, and prob new amp
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Definitely a new amp, probably a new guitar, a good distortion pedal

then from there you can play around and figure out exactly what you need. amp is most important though
Well... would help if I looked at signature for equipment...

Could definitely use a better guitar & amp combo.

An amp with a 10" or 12" speaker will help, 8" is to small to get any decent metal sound out of... they have the mids & highs, but just don't have the bottom end to give you a decent metal tone.

When you get the money together, go to a local music store & try out a bunch of different amps, don't just buy an amp because of people posting in your thread. Everyone's ears are different, & not everyone likes the same things sound wise. What sounds aweful to me, might sound great to you, & what sounds great to me might sound aweful to the next person...
Last edited by chaosdsm at Jun 14, 2010,
Step one: nice humbuckers

step two: nice amp

step three: ???

Step four: Profit!
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Alex Vik
Yeah, you basically need new everything. New guitar with humbuckers, and new amp that doesn't suck.

+1

If I were you I would buy A Peavey Vypyr 15

Pretty versatile cheap little amp.

It can get loud and gets some decent high gain "metal" tones from it.
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
I would definitely stay awak from the peavey vypyr. Its a cheap solid state modeler. Not really an upgrade.
@ handbanana

Anything is an upgrade from an MG lol

What do you have against the Vypyr?
Quote by EchoxOath
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Quote by SGstriker
Quote by SGburnsRED
@ handbanana

Anything is an upgrade from an MG lol

What do you have against the Vypyr?

Dude, both are about the same. Wouldnt really be much of an upgrade even if its slightly better.
MG15FX, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xuDFravT0

^ Mr. Rob Chappers, with the said amp.

Just get a guitar with some type of high-output, somewhat scooped-mids humbuckers. If your guitar already has a humbucker in the bridge position, install a high-output, somewhat scooped humbucker.

Or you could get a peavey vyper, and then get a new guitar.

SlayingEdit:

I honestly think in this situation, a new guitar/pickup would be better.

I would suggest getting a single-coil sized humbucker, since that particular model doesn't have a humbucker.

Seymor duncan has a good amount of single coil sized humbuckers, although I don't have any particular models to suggest; I'm not terribly familiar with them.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by Jackamedmos
Dude, both are about the same. Wouldnt really be much of an upgrade even if its slightly better.

This
Quote by SlayingDragons
MG15FX, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xuDFravT0

^ Mr. Rob Chappers, with the said amp.

Just get a guitar with some type of high-output, somewhat scooped-mids humbuckers. If your guitar already has a humbucker in the bridge position, install a high-output, somewhat scooped humbucker.

Or you could get a peavey vyper, and then get a new guitar.

No fair haha it's Rob Chappers playing haha he can make anything sound good >_>

Well whatever, I guess we can't really recommend him an amp until he says what he actually plays
Quote by EchoxOath
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Quote by SGstriker
Quote by handbanana
I would definitely stay awak from the peavey vypyr. Its a cheap solid state modeler. Not really an upgrade.

Yes it is. It's actually a huge upgrade. I've had an MG15, and I have a Vyper. There is no comparison - The Vypyr is far better, in every aspect. You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

That being said, TS, in your case, you need a new guitar and amp to sound better. So, with that in mind, how much money can you come up with? Peavey Vypyr goes for $100 new, but they can be found used for as little as half that. Any guitar with humbuckers, or at least one in the bridge will do for the guitar part.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well this is quite the information thank you guys
Gear:

Jay Turser 300
Marshall MG15FX

Future Gear:

Ibanez ART320
Quote by Greke
Well this is quite the information thank you guys

these forums would be called "Ultimate-Guitar forums" if it wasn't Ultimate
Quote by Offworld92
Yes it is. It's actually a huge upgrade. I've had an MG15, and I have a Vyper. There is no comparison - The Vypyr is far better, in every aspect. You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

That being said, TS, in your case, you need a new guitar and amp to sound better. So, with that in mind, how much money can you come up with? Peavey Vypyr goes for $100 new, but they can be found used for as little as half that. Any guitar with humbuckers, or at least one in the bridge will do for the guitar part.

weather it sounds better or not, getting another 15 watt solid state(which he already has) that is a modeler(which is inferior imo) would not be an upgrade. A peavey vypyr is only going to sound so good..... Which is why peavey vypyr and marshall mg's are grouped in the same entry level category. If you're talking about the vypyr tube that might be slightly better.

Seriously what makes it far better in every aspect? You said this and did not give a single example to back up why it is apparently so much better. If you're really excited about a Peavey Vypyr over a Marshall MG(or at all really) something is definitely wrong.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
weather it sounds better or not, getting another 15 watt solid state(which he already has) that is a modeler(which is inferior imo) would not be an upgrade. A peavey vypyr is only going to sound so good..... Which is why peavey vypyr and marshall mg's are grouped in the same entry level category. If you're talking about the vypyr tube that might be slightly better.

Peavey vypyr sounds 734&384638473928 times better than an MG for metal. Period.

OP has an MG and a brand of guitar I've never heard of. A friend of mine wanted to get into guitar playing, he already had a squire strat, so we got him a vypyr and he's extremely happy with it, as am I.

OP, get a guitar with humbuckers, and a vypyr 15. That'll get you started on the metal road.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Sigh, you're missing the point. How much better is another 15 watt solid state amp going to sound? And I honestly think Modelers are horrible for new players. It doesn't let them understand how to shape their own tone. It only gives them preset tones. With no eq. When they eventually upgrade to a tube amp, cause they eventually will want to, they're gonna have no idea how to work the eq. It will set them back quite a bit imo. Which is why I never suggest modelers to a beginner. Also like I said a Peavey Vypyr might sound slightly better than a Marshall MG, no way it sounds a ton better like these people are saying. Listen to any good tube amp after listening to those two and the vypyr will sound like absolute garbage.
Quote by handbanana
Sigh, you're missing the point. How much better is another 15 watt solid state amp going to sound? And I honestly think Modelers are horrible for new players. It doesn't let them understand how to shape their own tone. It only gives them preset tones. With no eq. When they eventually upgrade to a tube amp, cause they eventually will want to, they're gonna have no idea how to work the eq. It will set them back quite a bit imo. Which is why I never suggest modelers to a beginner. Also like I said a Peavey Vypyr might sound slightly better than a Marshall MG, no way it sounds a ton better like these people are saying. Listen to any good tube amp after listening to those two and the vypyr will sound like absolute garbage.

I agree with this man. I own a modeling amp, and it really sets you back as far as the EQ and how to use all of the controls. Not that it's hard to figure out or anything, but, you know.

Also, the MG15FX is not a bad amp, much better then the first couple of MGs released. To be completely honest, the peavey vyper 15 doesn't sound too much better. It's the pickups/guitar that I believe matter more in this case. When I was trying out guitars, I was going through a newer marshall MG. I tried a bunch of assorted guitars with cheap, stock pickups, (all of which sounded horrible,) and one with EMGs, which actually sounded really good through the amp.

So first-hand experience, and you can't deny the Chappers video.

Just get a guitar with EMGs.
Quote by handbanana

You have no idea what you are talking about! The vypyr has an EQ!!

The vypyr is PERFECT for a new player because it allows them to experiment and shape thier tone. My bugera is a good sounding tube amp. I know what a good metal
tone sounds like.

The vypyr has it, the MG doesn't. A vypyr isn't an ENGL Savage, but for many People, a super load amp is impractical.

If you had ever played a vypyr (which you HAVEN'T), you would know that it can get some decent metal tones, plenty enough for the beginner( or someone just wanting a versitile practice amp.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
^ Finally someone with some fucking sense.

The Vypyr just SOUNDS better than an MG, and it definitely can get more high gain which is what the TS wants.

And WTF? Just because it's a modeler doesn't automatically mean it's bad. No EQ? What? There are many tube amps without an EQ, and the Vypyr DOES have one. I don't know where you're getting your information from handbanana.

A pickup swap will not fix what the MG sounds like. For metal, you definitely need a new amp + new guitar.

I forgot how much dumber EG was than GG&A.... TS you should have posted there, you would have gotten better responses.

edit:
here are some clips of the vypyr
http://netmusicians.org/?value=peavey%20vypyr%2030&section=amp
http://netmusicians.org/?value=Peavey%20Vypyr%2015&section=amp
Last edited by Ignite at Jun 13, 2010,
Stupid bandwagonning UG noobs. The MG15FX is NOT a bad amp. Its 1000000000000 times better than the old MG.

Befor giving advice, play the amp first, fvcktards.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Gundamnitpete
You have no idea what you are talking about! The vypyr has an EQ!!

The vypyr is PERFECT for a new player because it allows them to experiment and shape thier tone. My bugera is a good sounding tube amp. I know what a good metal
tone sounds like.

The vypyr has it, the MG doesn't. A vypyr isn't an ENGL Savage, but for many People, a super load amp is impractical.

If you had ever played a vypyr (which you HAVEN'T), you would know that it can get some decent metal tones, plenty enough for the beginner( or someone just wanting a versitile practice amp.

How do you know I've never played one? I've actually played mgs and vypyrs, and would not reccomend either one of them to any respectable player. Maybe for a cheap starter amp one of them would be fine, but for a starter it really doesn't matter at all tbh. I'm just saying if he has one cheap ss amp, buying another cheap ss amp isn't going to get him anywhere. And literally noone in this thread understands that. This is seriously embarassing.
And still not a single one of you has given me a single reason why the vypyr is any better than the mg or any other amp.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 13, 2010,
does anyone know what that green thing is thats on steve vai's guitar between the neck and middle pickups?
Quote by Ignite
I have and it sounded terrible. The Vypyr sounds better and is much more versatile, not to mention $50 less. Much better bang for your buck.

I can imagine very well that you find the vypyr better than the MG. But saying that the new MG15FX sounds terrible makes me conclude that you have 0 knowledge of how to work with buttons. Come on dude, if you turn these knobs a little, you surely have to encounter a good tone. When i played it, it sounded only awful with scooped mids and lots of gain, but then again, every SS amp sounds horrible this way. Heck, even tube amps suck with that setting.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by guitarman2112
does anyone know what that green thing is thats on steve vai's guitar between the neck and middle pickups?

Next time get your own thread but there isn't anything between the pickups, on most of his guitars he does have some green tape stuck to the side of the neck pickup to prevent the strings getting caught under the edge of the pickup during heavy whammy abuse.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Urgh.

Isnt something that sounds better the deffinition of an upgrade? OH NO MAN, ITS DIGITAL AND SHIT, NO VALVES, SO THERFORE, ITS THE EXACT SAME AS THE MG. Where is your logic?

What if he got a 5 watt valve amp, its still a small budget amp and available in the same price range, Would that not be an upgrade? Yes, and why is that, because it sounds better, not because it has valves in it.

He justified his suggestion of buying the vypyr as an upgrade to the MG, Because it sounds better. If you would learn to read.

Ive not played the vypyr, but ive owned an MG, ive played similarly priced modelers, like the vot vt/ad series, roland cubes, id take any of them over the MG due to sheer value for money, the features, and yes, they ****ing well sound better.

GTFO.
Dimebuckers and a Fender Frontman 15 with an MT-2

sorted.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
1. Get a really good distortion metal
2. Get an amp essentially used for metal like mesa boogie or peavey
3. Get a guitar with humbuckers
Quote by handbanana
How do you know I've never played one? I've actually played mgs and vypyrs, and would not reccomend either one of them to any respectable player. Maybe for a cheap starter amp one of them would be fine, but for a starter it really doesn't matter at all tbh. I'm just saying if he has one cheap ss amp, buying another cheap ss amp isn't going to get him anywhere. And literally noone in this thread understands that. This is seriously embarassing.
And still not a single one of you has given me a single reason why the vypyr is any better than the mg or any other amp.

becuase you said they didn't have an EQ.

Suddenly they do now?!?!?! Please, change your story a few more times! It's amazing how you can do that!!

Lolwut.

And I've said it like eighty times. The vypyr is better becuase it SOUNDS better. The tone is just striaght up BETTER than the MG for metal.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by LP_CL
I can imagine very well that you find the vypyr better than the MG. But saying that the new MG15FX sounds terrible makes me conclude that you have 0 knowledge of how to work with buttons. Come on dude, if you turn these knobs a little, you surely have to encounter a good tone. When i played it, it sounded only awful with scooped mids and lots of gain, but then again, every SS amp sounds horrible this way. Heck, even tube amps suck with that setting.

So the MG sounds bad with gain right?

Metal IS gain.

Therefore, the MG is nit good for metalish tone.

The vypyr is, plenty of gain and a decent tone.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
So the MG sounds bad with gain right?

Metal IS gain.

Therefore, the MG is nit good for metalish tone.

The vypyr is, plenty of gain and a decent tone.

No, the MG sounds bad with too much gain. And so does EVERY amp. Including the vypyr.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by Tom 1.0
Dimebuckers and a Fender Frontman 15 with an MT-2

sorted.

That was hilarious

seriously get a vypyr or a cube 30x and experiment with different tones until you find one that suits you.
If you guys seriously think the vypyr sounds good then I feel bad for you. Just because it sounds better than the mg still doesn't mean it sounds good. That's like saying a Kia is a million times better than a daewoo, sure it might be a little better, but in the end you're still driving a piece of crap.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 14, 2010,
Handbanana, there's a difference between good and good.
For it's price, the vypyr sounds good. But that doesn't mean that it sounds good compared to a Diezel, cornford, mesa, soldano, Orange or Engl tube head.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Handbanana, there's a difference between good and good.
For it's price, the vypyr sounds good. But that doesn't mean that it sounds good compared to a Diezel, cornford, mesa, soldano, Orange or Engl tube head.

thats pretty much what i'm trying to say. these guys are trying to make it sound like a peavey vypyr is as good as a mesa triple rec. When in fact if you compare the vypyr to pretty much any amp that costs $150 more it's going to sound like what it actually is. An entry level solid state amp, just like the marshall mg, or a Line 6 spider, or a fender frontman etc. I bet I could easily get just a good(or in this case bad) a tone out of a Line 6 Spider 3 than I could out of a vypyr
Page 1 of 2