Right now I'm working on my sweep picking. I have a lot of exercises to help me. I'm just wanting to know some practice tips for them. I don't want to rush my sweep picking with the metronome, but I don't want to take to much time at one tempo. I want to learn them right the first time, and not have to clean them up later.

Tips on how long to practice each exercise, and how much I should practice them a day would be good too.
Quote by TriviumFan717
Right now I'm working on my sweep picking. I have a lot of exercises to help me. I'm just wanting to know some practice tips for them. I don't want to rush my sweep picking with the metronome, but I don't want to take to much time at one tempo. I want to learn them right the first time, and not have to clean them up later.

Tips on how long to practice each exercise, and how much I should practice them a day would be good too.

You should speed up the metronome when you can play the exercise cleanly, articulately, and consistently at your current tempo. When you increase the tempo, increase by as few bpm as possible. It's a little boring, but the gradual change discourages tension and actually helps you get better faster. As for how often, that's up to you. I'd recommend putting at least 30 minutes per practice session, but that's entirely your call.

[GELDEDIT]
Just remember, a few minutes of good practice is way better than an hour of bad practice. Maximize your efficiency and you'll reap the rewards.
Last edited by Geldin at Jun 12, 2010,
Might already do this, but when you up the tempo, count the beats to yourself to see where you need to place the notes within the timing
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win