Right, I've been looking for a new axe after deciding to sell my Ibanez RGT42DXFX. I've narrowed it down to 3 "candidates" but i just can't decide, i need to help and experience of you wonderfull people to help me make the right decision :P

First of all theres the Jackson DXMG - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/dx-mg/1220

Then the ESP LTD MH-250 Trem - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/80885

And finally the ESP LTD M-200FM - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/80886

I play alot of metal (Lamb of god, Trivium, Meshuggah etc) and write my own stuff aswell. I'm open to suggestions on other guitar but they must have a floyd rose trem and some decentish pickups. Also has to be under £400.

So, i'll pass it over to you guys and hopefully your wisdom and guitar knowledge will guide me on the right path to metal \m/
Personally I'd go for the ESP ltd MH-250. Its a great finish and I don't know too much about the M200. Good luck
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
the dxmg, the other two are made of agathis which is ****ing rubbish wood
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
I would definitely go for one of the ESP/LTD's. I personally have two LTD's (an EC and an alexi600) and both are amazing for the type of music you want. Jacksons have always left me a bit unimpressed in comparison
DXMG. Has legit EMG pups. Jackson trem is the best licensed floyd imho. Jacksons always seemed to play very nicely to me as well.

EDIT: If you feel like you're leaning towards something, go with your gut, don't take our opinions as the ultimate knowledge, as we are merely fat horny 15 year olds all sitting in our living rooms trying to make interesting comments like this in an attempt to get sigged.
Last edited by Dio10101 at Jun 12, 2010,
Personallly, I'd go for the Jackson
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
I would say the ESP or Jackson question is the most common i've seen in any thread about guitars for metal. I would always go and try one first. As your in the UK a branch of digital village should have all three in stock.
There is absolutely nothing to split the two LTD's except looks. Yes, they are made with agathis which isn't a good tone wood but it isn't all that bad either. Agathis is also very heavy (at least my M-200 is) so keep that in mind. The FR on them are reliable in my experience.

The Jackson is made from alder (good wood), but it has a bolt-on neck. Also the necks on Jacksons are similar to Ibanez (thin), so if you're sick of the Ibanez necks then you may not want a Jackson.

Personally, I would go either of the LTDs because of the neck thru and because of their more comfortable necks.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by Dio10101

EDIT: If you feel like you're leaning towards something, go with your gut, don't take our opinions as the ultimate knowledge, as we are merely fat horny 15 year olds all sitting in our living rooms trying to make interesting comments like this in an attempt to get sigged.

Lol I think I can tell you wanted to get sigged.
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
Quote by Dio10101
DXMG. Has legit EMG pups. Jackson trem is the best licensed floyd imho. Jacksons always seemed to play very nicely to me as well.

hey my 15th bday is tomorrow so ur a tad bit off

go with the jackson, alder > agathis, active emgs > emg knockoffs
Eh.
Quote by Himelnator

go with the jackson, alder > agathis, active emgs > emg knockoffs

The Jackson has EMG HZ's. They are in no way active.

I have the M-200FM. I love it to pieces. Of all the guitars I've tried in it's price range, the ESP LH-301 pickups are the best stock pickups I've heard.

Also, the LTD's have coil split, which is a really cool feature, and makes it a lot more versatile than the Jackson.

The LTD's are neck through, which is an amazing feature at this price. They are painted, so you should try them to make sure that you're okay with that.

Try the LTD's, since they both have different necks (The MH has a thicker neck than the M), and compare them to the Jackson - As was said before, go with your gut, get the one that feels right.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
the dxmg for me. you can always upgrade the guitars electronics and the floyd etc, but you can't ever upgrade the wood..
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Quote by BradG4
ESP LTD MH-250 Trem deffinatly
Yes. The MH series of LTD's are ****ing beautiful.

EDIT: Oh Jesus nevermind, that wood is garbage. Try the MH-350 instead, should be much better quality and just barely under budget.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Jun 13, 2010,
The Jackson DXMG has a basswood body which is better than the crap agathis of lower end LTD.

It has real EMG pups and better hardware.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
No contest..the jackson

alder>agathis
EMG's>ESP pups
JT850LP>ESP licensed floyd rose

basically if you want a better sounding,more reliable,well made and a better playing guitar,go for the jackson and if you want features and looks go for the LTD
Seriously I would stay away from Agathis.

Get the Jackson DXMG and save yourself all the tuning problems.
I have a DXMG and it's great!
The jackson licensed floyd rose is great and I never had any problems with it. I've also managed to get down the action pretty low . It plays very good as well.
ESP LTD MH-250 Trem definitely but put EMG 81-85 or 81-81

look at my sig I got a MH-1000 and it is pretty good!

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
Alder being better than agathis is not a fact, just an opinion. Maybe the TS doesn't want something as bright as alder is. Just because you think that a wood sucks, and have probably never played a guitar over $300 made out of it, doesn't mean that the wood sucks. (IE, basswood, agathis).

TS, don't rely on UG to answer questions like this - only you can. Only you can make the "right" decision, and you can only reach that decision by playing the guitars. So get off the internet and get to the store! =)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Alder being better than agathis is not a fact, just an opinion. Maybe the TS doesn't want something as bright as alder is. Just because you think that a wood sucks, and have probably never played a guitar over $300 made out of it, doesn't mean that the wood sucks. (IE, basswood, agathis).

TS, don't rely on UG to answer questions like this - only you can. Only you can make the "right" decision, and you can only reach that decision by playing the guitars. So get off the internet and get to the store! =)

agathis is mainly used on <300 guitars,and I wouldnt say it sucks..that is just stupid..but the reason they use agathis is because that it has good resonating qualties and is also cheaper to produce..yes I take back my previous statement alder is not better than agathis.

basswood is a different story..there is cheap basswood and there is high quality basswood that is found on prestige guitars,JEMs,JS's,PGM's and EVH wolfgangs..basswood is not normally a budget wood...2500$ jems have basswood!

but i agree with the rest of your post though
Agathis is not really a crap wood. but between Agathis and Alder it's not a matter of preference, Alder is clearly a better tone wood. (I'm not saying this because Agathis is cheap)

as for Basswood ... there are different grades of basswood, but even the lower grade Basswood is better than Agathis as a tone wood.
well out of those i'd take the jackson, however i'm not a fan of the emg hz pickups

maybe save a bit more and get one of the models with SDs in it? or actuals EMGs if thats what you prefer...

imo: either save a little more or go 2nd hand!

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>