Currently I'm saving for a 65 Deluxe Reverb. I've played it in a store before and I fell in love with the cleans on it. I heard about the Maz 18 from a friend of mine and it looks interesting from the video reviews I've seen on youtube, but haven't gotten a chance to try it out in person.

Has anyone played/owned one? Is it worth me saving the extra cash to get one of these over the Deluxe?

It's not going to be a metal rig. Currently already have a Muff pi, modded ds-1, dd-3, and a reverb pedal. I'm not good with genres so I'll just name some of the bands that I like the sound of, Explosions in the Sky, Brand New, Ramones, Clash, Black Keys.

I know this section gets tons of help me with my amp threads, I tried searching but didn't come up with anything. So any info could help.

I've got no problem waiting and saving for it but would really hate to put down the amount of cash for one of those and end up not liking it.
Only place near me that has them doesn't have the one I'm looking for unfortunately, next closest place is in another state.
Dr. Z amplifiers are fantastic, and the MAZ 18 is (according to the website) Dr. Z's favorite design. It isn't a metal amp, but it has plenty of overdrive. Since you said it isn't a metal rig that you are going for, the MAZ should be an outstanding choice.

Is it worth it? That depends on a lot of things. First, is it worth it to you? You may love the amp, but not so much more than the Fender that it justifies the expense. Beyond that, the Dr.Z will have a higher resale value if you ever decide to unload it. The Dr. Z also gives you some serious bragging rights among your fellow players, and that can be fun. And if you play with several bands, people might hire you for gigs just because you have a sought-after boutique amplifier that delivers a tone that you can't get anywhere else. Back in the day, a lot of studio guitarists bought expensive and rare amplifiers for just this purpose.

Only you can decide if it is worth it. I suspect that you'll love the amp, but if you don't love it any more than a Fender, then get the Fender and save yourself some cash.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
try out the Dr. Z that is near you and see if you like it.

boutique amps have a thing about them unlike any other amp so try some out, even if its not what you're looking feel. get to understand the feel of a handwired amp over a factory made amp. i'm sure if you like one Dr. Z, you'll like all Dr. Z's :]

but still, try the amp (doesnt matter which Z) next to the DRRI and see what you like or dont like about it. if you connect witht the amp then you'll probably connect with the others because the boutique amp is really an extension of the designer :]
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Interesting, I figured all of the amps would have a have some different flavor to them but it makes sense that they would have a similar base.

Has anyone heard of any problems with their build quality/customer support, being a boutique amp I would imagine that it would be better than most but things being the way they are today you never know.
They're great amps no question. The think is, when it comes to spending that kind of money on an amplifier is whether or not it is right for you. Once you're spending over $1000 it's not so much of a question of good or bad but more is it what I want/need.

I know that doesn't help too much, really the best way to know is to try one. If you can't do that sound samples are the best way to make a decision, I guess.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
I wouldn't buy a Z as a clean pedal platform like the DRRI, if that's what you're planning.

Their overdrive is beautiful.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I wouldn't buy a Z as a clean pedal platform like the DRRI, if that's what you're planning.

Their overdrive is beautiful.

that is something to consider as well. not to say the Z wont take pedals well, but you wont want to be using dirt boxes on an amp like that :]
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Meh, I'd go with the Fender, especially if you're going for cleans.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Meh, I'd go with the Fender, especially if you're going for cleans.

sigh why?
why would you say this?
because your hrd is so awesome?
because fender reissues are so period correct and good?
because blackface twin reverbs don't cost 1500+ dollars?
because fender's have the best cleans always and forever and ever and ever?
because you've never played a dr.z?
BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT?

I think I finally got it right.
If you're moving up from a DRRI I wouldn't go for the MAZ 18 especially if you like some of the sounds of your drri. The Maz 18 is a 2 el84 amp that's more british voiced closer to a marshal 18 watter.

The Z you would want as the ultimate upgrade from yours would be the DrZ EZG-50. I've seen them going for 1000-1100 used. Pretty much the best blackface you can get in that price range.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
sigh why?
why would you say this?
because your hrd is so awesome?
because fender reissues are so period correct and good?
because blackface twin reverbs don't cost 1500+ dollars?
because fender's have the best cleans always and forever and ever and ever?
because you've never played a dr.z?
BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT?

I think I finally got it right.
If you're moving up from a DRRI I wouldn't go for the MAZ 18 especially if you like some of the sounds of your drri. The Maz 18 is a 2 el84 amp that's more british voiced closer to a marshal 18 watter.

The Z you would want as the ultimate upgrade from yours would be the DrZ EZG-50. I've seen them going for 1000-1100 used. Pretty much the best blackface you can get in that price range.
C'mon man, just because I don't have as much money to throw at gear as you, doesn't mean I'm retarded. Maybe you should learn how to actually play what you buy?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
maybe you shouldn't give your opinion on a thread where you haven't actually used the items in question.

how hard is that? really hard? kinda hard? super hard? because I don't know if I asked a question like is the hot rod deluxe worth it I'd hope that someone who actually used it would chime in and say here are my experiences. Actually no that's not right I'd much rather have someone whose never used one say meh! I prefer kazoos.

Ya thats right.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by iheartmy7
that is something to consider as well. not to say the Z wont take pedals well, but you wont want to be using dirt boxes on an amp like that :]

That's more or less exactly what I meant.

You're going to be wanting to use the amp's natural overdrive and dial back the volume for cleans, rather than using stompboxes for dirt.

The amp will still take pedals like a champ though, if you want to add any other effects.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The Fender would be a nice amp, but the Dr. Z would be, too. I've played a few Dr. Z's and they've never disappointed me. You'd definitely be happy with either, but, if you decide on the Fender, you'll always be thinking about that Dr. Z; but if you buy the Dr. Z, you won't have a second thought.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
Quote by iheartmy7

Gearmanndude disagrees.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gearmanndude

edit: it takes fuzzes well too, looky here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UchIXsX3OkY
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
C'mon man, just because I don't have as much money to throw at gear as you, doesn't mean I'm retarded. Maybe you should learn how to actually play what you buy?

I got to play a Maz 18 last week for a few minutes. Sounded great, but not really the kind of thing I'm looking for. You definitely wouldn't want to rely on a pedal overdrive for its dirty sounds.
Things I would consider here:
1. How long will it actually take you to make the extra money, and what else might you need that money for.
2. Do you actually gig in venues that have good enough acoustics to make an amp like that worth having?
Having an amp like that is personal fulfillment. Most musicians don't get it, and anyone that isn't a musician doesn't even care. As far as acoustics, I recommend lining your practice space with loose blankets.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Gradyogle
The Fender would be a nice amp, but the Dr. Z would be, too. I've played a few Dr. Z's and they've never disappointed me. You'd definitely be happy with either, but, if you decide on the Fender, you'll always be thinking about that Dr. Z; but if you buy the Dr. Z, you won't have a second thought.

Yeah I'm all about not having regret with my musical equipment, the only thing I bought that I had an "Awe man" situation with was the ds-1 and modding it rectified that.

Thanks for the recommendation of the EZG-50, After listening to the sound clip on the website, I liked that more than the Maz, and the place in my city that has them has it in stock. It'll take a while more to save for it, but if I like it in person it will be totally worth it. I'll post up with an awesome NAD when it come in.

Oh and I've already been storing foam core for my walls.