I like to play various types of metal and dont mind some texas blues. Next year there is a class at my high school for jazz. I would be able to play guitar everyday at school but, I do not know what jazz guitar is like. Can someone please give examples and explain jazz guitar?
Um...extended chords, accidentals, scales, rhythms?

Haven't you heard jazz music before?
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Well to be honest the last time I listened to jazz was so long ago i don't remember it. Can you name a few good jazz guitarists?
My school has a similar program. You'll most likely be playing the chords with some sections where you get to improvise so be sure to brush up on all your chords, especially ones more common in jazz like the seventh chords for example (as well as other extensions). It could also be beneficial to practice improvising over different chord changes.
I'd really suggest listening to a bunch of jazz first so you know what it sounds like.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
to be a good jazz guitarist, you have to know your theory and - perhaps more so than in any other genre - you have to know the fretboard like the back of your hand.

although i use some jazz trademarks in my compositions (extended/altered chords, odd voicings, and many more), i'm not really a jazz guitarist, so i'm not able to help you as much as some of the others here in MT.

but really, if you want to understand jazz guitar, listen to it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
After looking at that I think im going to not take that class.
Last edited by perfectchaos23 at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by perfectchaos23
After looking at that I think im going to not take that class.

You have the opportunity to play guitar at school every day and you're not going to take advantage of it? You might want to rethink that decision.
Quote by jsepguitar
You have the opportunity to play guitar at school every day and you're not going to take advantage of it? You might want to rethink that decision.

i agree. you have an opportunity to better yourself, and you're just going to let it slip by?

not for nothing - i'm a metal player myself - and i find that the difficulty of metal is in the technique. the difficulty of jazz is in the mind - knowing your theory, and knowing it well. in that regard, metal (even the really good stuff, save for a few bands like veil of maya and cynic) is really simple in that regard.

really, it just depends on whether you play guitar as a hobby, or whether you really want to do something with it. i say go for it either way, though.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by perfectchaos23
I like to play various types of metal and dont mind some texas blues. Next year there is a class at my high school for jazz. I would be able to play guitar everyday at school but, I do not know what jazz guitar is like. Can someone please give examples and explain jazz guitar?

know the major scale. know the chords in the major scale, then learn all the modes of the major scale. i'm being repetitive but major scale, you have to breathe it. start easy, improvise over Cmaj7 and G11, easy progressions. so you might play C Ionian over the Cmaj7 and G mixolydian over the G11. introduce newer chord progressions. understand rhythm. then move on to the most important part.

chromatics, notes out of the key. the use of chromatics depends on the person. one man's jazz is not another's!

learn other SCALES. namely the melodic minor scale, this is THE scale to learn after mastering the major scale formula and all its modes. understand the harmonic minor scale. with these two scales come all sorts of chords, which you might not care for. i haven't gotten to this yet...

i'm learning or trying to atleast understand jazz,
Quote by jsepguitar

When you put it that way it seems like the class could possibly be very fun.
Quote by perfectchaos23
When you put it that way it seems like the class could possibly be very fun.

listen to some john mclaughlin, pat metheny, joe pass, mike stern...to get a flavor of how diverse "jazz guitar" can be...

it can change your outlook on guitar...and music...

play well

wolf
Id say the best jazz players are non guitar players. Listen to some clifford brown, charlie parker, john coltrane, bill evans, wayne shorter and cannonball adderly for starters (or more like scratching the surface) in addition to the usual guitar players.
Quote by tehREALcaptain
Id say the best jazz players are non guitar players. Listen to some clifford brown, charlie parker, john coltrane, bill evans, wayne shorter and cannonball adderly for starters (or more like scratching the surface) in addition to the usual guitar players.

Well that's for lead stuff anyways, but you'll definitely want to take a listen to some of the other guitar players mentioned as comping/rhythm playing i a huge part of jazz guitar.
"Forget the rules. If it sounds good, it is good."
-Eddie Van Halen
Check out Charlie Hunter, John Scofield, and Wes Montgomery too. Also, Larry Carlton's got some jazz chops too - go listen to the chord changes in the solo of "Kid Charlemagne" to get a really good idea of how jazz guitarists improvise.