I've always had trouble with the idea of using an effects loop. My pedalboard consists of wah, distortion pedals, eq, and several modulation and effects pedals. I want to use the distortion on my amp, but if I do that then I can't use things like delay or chorus unless I run it through the effects loop. If I run my whole board through my effects then my distortion pedals will sound awful. The only way I can figure out how to solve this problem would be to have 2 separate pedal boards for distortion and effects or one pedalboard and have like 4 or 5 cables running between it and my amp separating the types of pedals. I use about 6 different distortion sounds and my amp only does one of them, so I need to get my pedals to work. What would you guys do in this case?
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Quote by xXBansheeXx

I want to use the distortion on my amp, but if I do that then I can't use things like delay or chorus unless I run it through the effects loop.

Not correct. Anyway, just do what the guy in the first post said.
Are you guys understanding what I'm saying? Yes I need to put all my reverb and modulation in the effects loops, I already said that. But that would mean I would have to put the distortion in the signal between my amp and the guitar because you can't run distortion through the effects loop. That would result in me having two separate sets of effects, am I right? I want to know what you guys do with your distortion pedals.
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Yes, you would have to run it like this:

Guitar -> Distortion, wah, tuner etc -> amp -> fx out -> modulation, reverb, delay -> fx in.
Quote by boffen
Yes, you would have to run it like this:

Guitar -> Distortion, wah, tuner etc -> amp -> fx out -> modulation, reverb, delay -> fx in.

Okay, thats what I figured. but to keep my pedals all on the same board to use the same power supply, I would need to run one cable for the guitar into the board, a cable for the board into the amp, and 2 cables for the send and return on the loop. that's 4 cables between my amp and my board, I've never seen that before.
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Quote by xXBansheeXx
Okay, thats what I figured. but to keep my pedals all on the same board to use the same power supply, I would need to run one cable for the guitar into the board, a cable for the board into the amp, and 2 cables for the send and return on the loop. that's 4 cables between my amp and my board, I've never seen that before.

Uhh thats kinda what everyone does... Not everyone has huge pedalboards and sometimes it only consists of a wah and/or delay. Even then you'd have to put the wah in front and the delay in the loop. Either way it's still 4 cables
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

some people use things like a cable snake that has an outer jacket around all the cables. other people might use things like a stero cable and a splitter on each end, or make something to that effect.

lots of bands do it, they just dont really advertise thats what they are doing. ive seen lots of guys hiding their cables under rugs or tape or something.

but yeah, you need 3 cables between board and amp to do this right.
Quote by jamesfarr
Not correct. Anyway, just do what the guy in the first post said.

You can run modulation in front of the amp while you use the amp's distortion, but that will distort the modulation.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
You can run modulation in front of the amp while you use the amp's distortion, but that will distort the modulation.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Distorted delay sounds terrible.
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
This kind of annoys me about the M9. I wasn't expecting to like it's distortions. But I like to use an amp's dirt too.
This is kind of related; I bought a peavey rage practice amp last week, because I was amp-less due to having to return my bugera. In its own right, the peavey rage sounded pretty decent. Nice, warm cleans, and distortion channel sounded a lit better than I expected. However, it didn't have an effects loop, and all my dirt pedals sounded shit through it. That was the killer for me, as I like having delay and the occasional phase running through my sound. So while the amp's distortion sounded half decent, I couldn't use phase or delay without the sound turning into a horrid mess. An effects loop is pretty much a must for me on any amp.