Hey,

I've been playing for a couple of months now, but i only play while sitting...
now i have started to play while standing and I am having "reach" problems, esp with shapes like barre chords (and esp with bar +1, meaning for example i am barring fret 10 and then need to do a hammer pull on the D string 12,13 then do a hammer pull on A string 12,13)

any tips on standing and playing?

Plus I sound totally f*cking different, and playing quite dirty to be honest.

Suggestions and any links are most welcome as well.

Thansk!
R
“God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.”
(My hero) - Robin Williams
Raise the strap...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
I had the same issue, practise while standing up for like half an hour a day and you'll soon be a standing up machine.
A standing up machine? Lmfao.

And yeah just basically maybe higher the strap a little and just practise it. Even the best guitarists like Paul Gilbert admit that they can play a lot better sitting down than standing up, but it's just a matter of getting the standing playing up to standard.
you get used to it, just remember how awkward it was to do it sitting down when you first held a guitar

i had the same problem, you'll get used to it quickly if you keep trying
Quote by hockeyplayer168
Raise the strap...

this is the right answer. i've found if i raise it way up i look like a dork, but it's super easy to stand and play b/c its about in the same position as it is when you're sitting
I think, but not totally sure, that it was Joe Satriani who once said something like, "When you write a song, do it while standing up. Because if you write it while you're sitting, you won't be able to play it on stage."

I've found that this is true about when you are learning, too.
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16
Well damn. You caught me. I'm horribly gay.

RIP Rev
Quote by z4twenny
this is the right answer. i've found if i raise it way up i look like a dork, but it's super easy to stand and play b/c its about in the same position as it is when you're sitting

Exactly, and if you practice standing up, you can steadily lower the guitar as you get more accustomed to the stretching. I have pretty short fingers too though, so I just keep it up high.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Thanks guys, when i did try with a shorter strap I did play "less dirty" but i felt silly as it didnt look like any guitarist I liked.

Will follow your advise though, higher it,.. and gradually lower it as time goes by.

Cheers and thanks!
“God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.”
(My hero) - Robin Williams
Quote by Kynyster_K
I think, but not totally sure, that it was Joe Satriani who once said something like, "When you write a song, do it while standing up. Because if you write it while you're sitting, you won't be able to play it on stage."

I've found that this is true about when you are learning, too.

yeah it was Satch.

also, here's a tip from me.
as long as your guitar permits, when you're sitting down and playing, sit in the 'classical' position with the guitar between your legs. i've always sat like this, and i found the transition to standing up not so daunting.