so i'm about to attempt a build and i was wondering if its possible to take a body that was designed for a bolt on neck and make it a set neck or neck thru
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270
Squire Stagemaster 7string

Amps
Randall Titan head
Randall XL cab with celestions

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips
Korg Pitchblack tuner
yeah, you'd have to be an amazing luthier to do it though or else it would 1) snap the neck as soon as you put string tension on it or 2) the guitar would not stay in tune at all so unless your preatty good at it i wouldnt
yeah, should be. just glue it in instead of using bolts. as for neck thru, you'll be needing to redesign the body in two parts with the middle accounted for with the neck being a piece of the body.
you would need some routing experience yes it is possible

and by some i mean alot of experience. with the neck-thru you will basically be routing the entire pickup/elec cavity from scratch
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
alright thanks guys, as far as sound goes. i've been told set necks have way more sustain then bolt on. would it be worth the effort to do it?
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270

Amps
Randall Titan head

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips
Korg Pitchblack tuner
Quote by EFGuitar
yeah, should be. just glue it in instead of using bolts. as for neck thru, you'll be needing to redesign the body in two parts with the middle accounted for with the neck being a piece of the body.

I still see it snapping, even if you glued it. I mean...it just wasn't designed that way...
well there isnt much to the body right now. i spent $8 on an explorer style body and the neck joint looks like someone ripped out the neck plate. so i figured a neck thru would be cool. but it seems like work that is beyond me for a first build
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270

Amps
Randall Titan head

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips
Korg Pitchblack tuner
Quote by TJ Wise
but it seems like work that is beyond me for a first build

If you spent 8$ on the body there's no reason why you shouldn't try it. =)

I'd say, you should read up on how to build a neck (routing trussrod, fretting, etc) and when you feel you know all that is necessary to succeed, go for it. =)

Alternatively you could buy a neck through fretted blank and stick to routing pickup cavities and mounting a bridge.

In any case: If you think the whole process through, you'll quite probably do it right the first time. Every luthier has had his first time too. =)
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I still see it snapping, even if you glued it. I mean...it just wasn't designed that way...

Have you seen Ormsby's set necks? It's basically a bolt-on neck pocket (slightly longer and only a little bit deeper) with the neck glued in. There's no less glueing surface than some of the Gibson set necks have.

I'm doing mine the same way and I have no concerns over it snapping... we shall see.
Quote by TJ Wise
alright thanks guys, as far as sound goes. i've been told set necks have way more sustain then bolt on. would it be worth the effort to do it?

You've been told wrong, it makes no discernible difference.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Your best bet for this would be the neck through and to do it like Jason did the Legocaster but backwards.

You cut down where the neck through part of the wood will be and you use the edges of the body as your wings instead of making them up from new wood. Infact, I think he's doing a build now using the wings that he cut off. You'll have to route out the pickup cavities in the through piece though.