i have a Vox AC15 and it has two inputs: one for the Normal channel and one for the Top Boost channel.

so would it be okay to play two guitars into the amp at the same time?
would it affect the sound in any way, or possibly affect the tubes?
also, how about running other things through the amp, like an acoustic and a vocal mic at the same time?
<3 u
Not entirely true. A guitar amp isn't designed to handle the wide frequencies of a bass guitar, and you might end up with serious power amp damage, especially if you turn up the volume on the amp itself.
Quote by boffen
Not entirely true. A guitar amp isn't designed to handle the wide frequencies of a bass guitar, and you might end up with serious power amp damage, especially if you turn up the volume on the amp itself.

Why should bass frequencies effect the powertubes? they shouldn't effect the tube at all really. a tube is only amplifiying what's at it's grid really
I am not entirely sure, but this happened to a couple of friends of mine with their guitar head, and when they took it to a tech, he said something about the wider frequencies of the bass guitar damaging the power amp circuitry.
hahaha alright guys, i will definitely NOT be running a bass through my AC15... that's whole other topic.

does anybody have any answers for the other questions, though? i don't really see how it would be bad, but i found this short little thread from a while ago: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847652 (posts 4 and 5) and that put doubts in my head. something about two entirely different signals going through a tube amp worries me, and of course i'm not willing to just experiment with it...
<3 u
The problem wouldn't really be with the amount of signals, but the frequency of them. They are analog signals, and in theory I don't think the amp would be damaged by having multiple guitars hooked up to it. The problem is that guitar amps are designed to be used with electric guitars, nothing else.
well, my JSX has a high and low input, and i ran 2 guitars into it and it most definatly DID NOT agree with having 2 guitars. I'm not sure about other amps, but from experience i don't think it will work. Although theoretically it should.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

if two guitars loaded signals into the same amp, it'll be 1: loud, 2: more distortion, 3: 1&2 depends on how u both play.

what are you trying to achieve from this?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by aradine
well, my JSX has a high and low input, and i ran 2 guitars into it and it most definatly DID NOT agree with having 2 guitars. I'm not sure about other amps, but from experience i don't think it will work. Although theoretically it should.

thanks for replying. that's what i was afraid of. i know "theoretically" it should work, but yeah things don't necessarily work that way all the time...

Quote by ECistheBest
if two guitars loaded signals into the same amp, it'll be 1: loud, 2: more distortion, 3: 1&2 depends on how u both play.

what are you trying to achieve from this?

basically the reason i'm asking is because sometimes i wanna jam with my friend at my place, but he doesn't want to drag his 90-pound combo amp, so i thought it would be really helpful if we could just both plug into my AC15... it would be convenient.

so you say it would be loud and more distorted... does this mean it could be harmful to the amp?

as for how we play, it would either be two (semi-)clean sounds, doing a rhythm/lead sorta thing, or it would be one distorted and one clean guitar. but how does that matter?
<3 u
Dont the outputs mute each other?
Im not sure, dont quote me on it.

But if they dont, i see no reason why not, other than one signal being louder than the other and it sounding pretty mushy.
At the school where I took my lessons, we only had an amp with two inputs, and it always worked well with two guitars at the same time in it. It sounds kinda weird sometimes but it works, and it's a 20+ years old tube amp.
Edit: Actually, on the AC15 the two ouputs are two seperate channels, so it would probably sound much better than two inputs goind in the same channel, and you won't run into volume issues since both channels have their own volumes.
As for pluggin' mic into it, I wouldn't do it, I've tried it before and the feedback was terrible, you can try, but my personnal experiences told me it was not working too well.
Last edited by Sguit at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by Sguit
Actually, on the AC15 the two ouputs are two seperate channels, so it would probably sound much better than two inputs goind in the same channel, and you won't run into volume issues since both channels have their own volumes.

right: the Normal channel has just one volume knob and the Top Boost channel has a volume, treble, and bass control. they both share a master volume and tone cut. so i guess in theory that sounds like it should work...? i don't know if it depends on how much i drive the tubes or not though. it seems like i shouldn't drive them too hard at the same time or something...

so does anybody else have any more definitive information to share on this topic? all i've gotten are ideas on what "should" happen, but i'm still too uncertain at this point...
any help would be greatly appreciated!
<3 u
What's going to happen is one guitar is going to overpower the other or they're going to cut eachother out sporadically. If one guitar is doing rhythm and another is doing leads, one of them is likely going to be cut out.

Doesn't really work well =/
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by work sucks
right: the Normal channel has just one volume knob and the Top Boost channel has a volume, treble, and bass control. they both share a master volume and tone cut. so i guess in theory that sounds like it should work...? i don't know if it depends on how much i drive the tubes or not though. it seems like i shouldn't drive them too hard at the same time or something...

so does anybody else have any more definitive information to share on this topic? all i've gotten are ideas on what "should" happen, but i'm still too uncertain at this point...
any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well, I've had good experience doing, I guess it depends on the amp. At band practice we do that too cause we don't have a keyboard, we just plug it into my amp or the bass and it work, of course if you overdrive the Power amp it might not sound great.