so in a few weeks im going down to key west for 2 weeks to play at bars and get my name around a bit. i play acoustic reggae/ world beat music mainly. ive got about 25 songs that i can play and sing straight through plus 5 or 6 originals. i need a good list of some bar friendly songs that can be done by a guitarist/vocalist and a bongo/conga/tabla player
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Redemption Song - Bob Marley
and some Sublime
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16
Well damn. You caught me. I'm horribly gay.

RIP Rev
thanks for the suggestions guys but i already know alot of these. ill look into dave mathews and dispatch but are there any like people besides sublime and marley and jack johnson.
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Quote by tictaknicnak
This seems ideal for what you are doing and uses a tabla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_DOIKeEJtg&feature=related

You sir, are weird.
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16

RIP Rev
For something a bit different, you could always try some Joe Jackson, "Is She Really Going Out With Him" is possible with guitar + percussion, and so are some of his other songs.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Ben Harper
Jack Savoretti
Stephen Marley
Fat Freddy's Drop
Groundation
Gregory Isaacs
UB40
Soldiers of Jah Army
State Radio
Slightly Stoopid
Rebelution
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16

RIP Rev
have you tried some slightly stoopid. may not be the best but just an idea

edit: ^^^^ damn you
Sublime (any songs)
Slightly Stoopid (any songs)
Bob Marley (any songs)
Broken Bells- The High Road
Broken Bells - Vaporize
Broken Bells - Ghost Inside
Modest Mouse - Float On
MGMT - Brian Eno
MGMT - Time To Pretend
MGMT - Kids
MGMT - Electric Feel
Matisyahu - Late Night in Zion
Matisyahu - Time of Your Song
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Passion Pit - Sleepyhead
Pink Floyd - Money
The Raconteurs - Rich Kid Blues
Radiohead - Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
RHCP - Snow (Hey Oh)
Spoon - Don't You Evah
Spoon - Black Like Me
They Might Be Giants- Careful What You Pack
TV on the Radio - Crying
TV on the Radio - Stork and Owl
Vampire Weekend - A-Punk
Vampire Weekend - California English
Vampire Weekend - Horchata
The White Stripes - Concquest
The White Stripes - Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn

EDIT:
The Cat Empire - The Rhythm
Maybe some Dr. Dog (Easy Beat or Weekend)
Gorillaz
Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Last edited by gatechballer at Jun 12, 2010,
haha
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16

RIP Rev
Quote by gatechballer

Modest Mouse - Float On

YES.
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16

RIP Rev
Quote by Kynyster_K
Ben Harper
Jack Savoretti
Stephen Marley
Fat Freddy's Drop
Groundation
Gregory Isaacs
UB40
Soldiers of Jah Army
State Radio
Slightly Stoopid
Rebelution

you sir are now my best friend
roland AC90

John Butler. Some of his stuff is a little difficult, but it's great. It's not reggae, but I do believe he has some Indian influence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ikCeSbOck

Also, look up Ocean, also by John Butler. If you don't want to do it because it's an instrumental, that's fine, but it's a beautiful song by him.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
John Butler. Some of his stuff is a little difficult, but it's great. It's not reggae, but I do believe he has some Indian influence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ikCeSbOck

Also, look up Ocean, also by John Butler. If you don't want to do it because it's an instrumental, that's fine, but it's a beautiful song by him.

lol ive been doin john butler stuff since my father bought his first cd on a visit to australia back in like the 90's
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
lol ive been doin john butler stuff since my father bought his first cd on a visit to australia back in like the 90's

Well, you didn't mention him and the first thing I thought of after your post was "John Butler"
"Ho's" by Pepper
"Moonlight" by Rebelution
"Saw Red" by Sublime
"My Own Life" by Long Beach Dub Allstars
"Jerusalem" by Matisyahu
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
No offense TS, but everyone goes to Key West to get their name around. I don't think you can show anyone down there something they haven't seen already. But, enjoy the weather and the sights. Key West is a blast! Stop by Key Largo and say hi to my mom for me

Edit: But good luck on your journey, and I hope you do make a name for yourself! I didn't mean to be such an ass

Also, stop by the worlds smallest bar while you're down there!

Double Edit: I'm sure learning some Jimmy Buffet would probably get all the Parrot Heads riled up
Last edited by Daffodil Lament at Jun 12, 2010,
Blinded by the sun by Gym Class heroes is the only song I listen to that is kind of like that.
I let you get away so cleanly.
Under the bridge by RHCP. It's not exactly reggae or ska, but it has that summery soulful feel to it that could work in your set quite well. Or Scar tissue by RHCP, for the same reasons, however it doesn't have the minor bits which may or may not be to your taste.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by Daffodil Lament
No offense TS, but everyone goes to Key West to get their name around. I don't think you can show anyone down there something they haven't seen already. But, enjoy the weather and the sights. Key West is a blast! Stop by Key Largo and say hi to my mom for me

Edit: But good luck on your journey, and I hope you do make a name for yourself! I didn't mean to be such an ass

Also, stop by the worlds smallest bar while you're down there!

Double Edit: I'm sure learning some Jimmy Buffet would probably get all the Parrot Heads riled up

i live in miami so i go there often and youd be suprised how lacking it is of youth performers. alot of old guys but alot of bar goers and no young entertainment. everthing down there is buffet. and with the kinda style i play its either key west, la, hawaii, or australia and im only 18 and still in school so i kinda gotta make due with what i got. in my mind at least im trying for goal instead of just waiting around for nothing
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
i live in miami so i go there often and youd be suprised how lacking it is of youth performers. alot of old guys but alot of bar goers and no young entertainment. everthing down there is buffet. and with the kinda style i play its either key west, la, hawaii, or australia and im only 18 and still in school so i kinda gotta make due with what i got. in my mind at least im trying for goal instead of just waiting around for nothing

You could always try South Beach, though I'm sure you have. That's more hip-hop oriented, though :[:
Quote by Daffodil Lament
You could always try South Beach, though I'm sure you have. That's more hip-hop oriented, though :[:

very true, a few friends of mine are dj's and do really well in the rave scene but i dont like it too much
roland AC90

I've heard some good acoustic covers of Pressure Drop by Toots and the Maytals. I don't imagine it being too difficult to incorporate some percussion into it.
Also, an adaptation of Friday Night, Saturday Morning by The Specials might work.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Last edited by sadSTATUE at Jun 12, 2010,
Damn, am i the only that plays blues on the acoustic?
do some eric clapton, freddie king, eric johnson, and bbking.
the blues is good.
If you wanna do some songs people know I would do I'm Yours by Jason Mraz. Everybody knows it, and it has a feel that fits the region.
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

Quote by RampagingAcorn
If you wanna do some songs people know I would do I'm Yours by Jason Mraz. Everybody knows it, and it has a feel that fits the region.

lol literally no one here likes him. he came here once and like so little people showed up. he is too girly for south florida
roland AC90

im surprised no body has said G. Love

you can do really anything off of G. Love's Lemonade album.
my favorites are still hanging around, hot cooking and aint that right.

orrr
you can do sum long beach dub all stars.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Last edited by vanhailin at Jun 13, 2010,
First off, at a fellow South Florida UG'er!

I would definitely recommend Beduoin Soundclash. Not many people I know have heard of them, but they are really good and have reggae influences. My band covered this song last year; not too tough but really fun to jam out with.

Shadow of a Man - Beduoin Soundclash

EDIT: ^G. Love is a great suggestion as well.
Last edited by iro-bot31 at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by iro-bot31
First off, at a fellow South Florida UG'er!

I would definitely recommend Beduoin Soundclash. Not many people I know have heard of them, but they are really good and have reggae influences. My band covered this song last year; not too tough but really fun to jam out with.

Shadow of a Man - Beduoin Soundclash

EDIT: ^G. Love is a great suggestion as well.

haha cool ive never met another southfla ive heard of them but never looked into it. i will have to do that. what part of southfla you in
roland AC90