Alright i've had this guitar(epi les paul standard) for almost a year now but recently there's been a problem with the strings snapping. i dont know if its the guitar or what but its pissing me off that i have to keep opening a whole new pack of strings just because the high e broke. its mostly been my high e and b string and the string always breaks at the bridge. i'm using ernie ball slinky 10's btw
thanks for help guys
take a pencil and coat the saddle (where the string touches the bridge) with some graphite. if it still breaks, take a small file to it. you've narrowed down the location, so it just means there's a burr on the saddle. normally the pencil trick works for me about 90% of the time.
what should i use to smooth it out? i know it sounds like a dumb question but i dont want to hurt the chrome
A very small metal file, I've even done it with nail file before, just be really carefull and you won't hurt your guitar, don't worry.

Also I've found that Ernie Balls break a lot easier than most strings I've ever used.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
EBs like to break for me too.

if the file thing doesn't help, then consider graphtech string saver saddles.
or a new standard saddle set.

simple to put on.

they also have little tubes to protect strings at the saddle contact point.
you can add those, if you can find what they're called.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
it could be the bridge the nut or u might just need to get some decent strings..
Quote by antonvrg
it could be the bridge the nut or u might just need to get some decent strings..

Did you read the op? They're consistently breaking at the bridge... mystery solved
thanks allot guys! i filed the saddle with some finger nail files until it felt smooth then i put some graphite on. we'll see how it works
^^and thats funny about the ernie balls, i switched to them because i wanted something that didnt break. if they keep breaking i use up the rest of my 12 pack and try something different
thanks!
Quote by josephde
Did you read the op? They're consistently breaking at the bridge... mystery solved

I've have some strings that hate a SUB bridge... cheapies... now i stick with DR
Quote by jj1565
EBs like to break for me too.

if the file thing doesn't help, then consider graphtech string saver saddles.
or a new standard saddle set.

simple to put on.

they also have little tubes to protect strings at the saddle contact point.
you can add those, if you can find what they're called.

You can just use heat shrink. The only thing is it kind of dulls the tone IMO. SRV used it though so what do I know?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by UseYourThumb
thanks allot guys! i filed the saddle with some finger nail files until it felt smooth then i put some graphite on. we'll see how it works
^^and thats funny about the ernie balls, i switched to them because i wanted something that didnt break. if they keep breaking i use up the rest of my 12 pack and try something different
thanks!

If the string is breaking at the bridge plate (not the saddle) you can cut a tiny piece of plastic wire insulation that fits over the string and slide it down to the bridge plate (where the string is breaking) and tune up the string making sure the plastic tube is resting on the bridge plate. Make sure it fits just about right and when you use the whammy the string will slide through the tube freely and it will decrease breakage.
~JP~
Quote by forsaknazrael
I haven't broken a string in years.

i have guitars where i havent changed the strings in years
Quote by UseYourThumb

hopefully that fixes your problems, i have a feeling it will
I can't remember the last time I broke an Ernie Ball string, let alone a string in general, and I have a Gibson SG with a Bigsby on it, with the original TOM bridge. It's a streak break fiasco waiting to happen, but it never does, even when I forget to put graphite on there.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Not broke an ernie ball string on one of my guitars for around 3-4 years......

I did string a cheap made in china guitar with ernie balls and broke one immediately by doing a bend however

If you are consistently breaking strings folks its usually either your guitars or your technique.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
If you are consistently breaking strings folks its usually either your guitars or your technique.

Yep.

My PRS SE Singlecut came stock with D'Addario gauge 9 strings.
It's been 6 months. None of them broke, and they still feel and sound brand-new.

When i tried using Ernie Balls on my Strat, i actually broke one or two on the bridge saddles...
But it was restrung with GHS Boomers last September, and even though i don't like how they feel, it's been 9 months, and none of them broke and they still sound good.

And i should add that both guitars have plenty of daily use, plus a couple of gigs and the weekly band rehearsals. So, the strings are pretty abused (but i always clean them with a dry cloth after playing).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
^i have no clue why you quoted this for truth. it makes no sense.

Quote by Talentless

is it saying that it's my guitar's technique or mine?

most of the time it's a sharp tuner (contact point) like said about 5 times prior to his post.
more rarely it's caused by a kid wanking on the string while playing or tuning up.

even less likely, because of a bad batch of consumer popular strings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by jj1565
^i have no clue why you quoted this for truth. it makes no sense.

Is it really so hard to understand?

If you're breaking a lot of strings, either your guitar has some problem, or your technique is causing the breaking.

Most of the times, i wouldn't say that the problem is on the strings themselves.

EDIT:
Quote by jj1565
more rarely it's caused by a kid wanking on the string while playing or tuning up.

You should see my cousin play.
He goes through strings like crazy. He always carries a few packs of new strings, because it's inevitable for him.
He likes to play like Angus Young (he even dresses alike), but despite being one of the best guitar players i know when soloing, he is REALLY violent when he plays rhythm.

He even breaks them during gigs, and often he has to borrow my guitar (usually my band opens for his band) to finish the gig.

It has gotten to the point that, when the lead singer is introducing the members of the band, he is introduced as "the guy who holds the world record for "Most Strings Broken During Rehearsals"".
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by Linkerman
Is it really so hard to understand?

If you're familiar with how English works, it's worded pretty goofily.

Quote by Linkerman
You should see my cousin play.
He goes through strings like crazy. He always carries a few packs of new strings, because it's inevitable for him.
He likes to play like Angus Young (he even dresses alike), but despite being one of the best guitar players i know when soloing, he is REALLY violent when he plays rhythm.

He even breaks them during gigs, and often he has to borrow my guitar (usually my band opens for his band) to finish the gig.

It has gotten to the point that, when the lead singer is introducing the members of the band, he is introduced as "the guy who holds the world record for "Most Strings Broken During Rehearsals"".

He's doing it wrong.
That should never be happening if the guitar is set up right. I'm just like that, really dig in for rhythm parts, Angus Young vibrato. I haven't ever broken a string in years, much less at gigs.
Quote by forsaknazrael
If you're familiar with how English works, it's worded pretty goofily.

I don't know if you're talking about my english, or Talentless' (the guy i quoted) english.

About the quote, i noticed a lack of punctuation, but i understood what he meant perfectly.

If you're saying my english sucks, well, i have a great excuse: i'm portuguese, so english is a foreign language for me.

Quote by forsaknazrael
He's doing it wrong.
That should never be happening if the guitar is set up right. I'm just like that, really dig in for rhythm parts, Angus Young vibrato. I haven't ever broken a string in years, much less at gigs.

He's not "doing it wrong".

It's just his style. He basically rapes the strings.
Insane bends, "Chuck Norris" pick attacks...
But he's a really amazing guitar player. One of the best i've ever met. Technique and feeling, speed and soul... He's got it all.

He's the lead guitar player for this band: Good Gluck
The clips are pretty crappy, but you get the general idea.
My cousin is the one with a cap and long hair playing a Gibson SG copy.

Oh, and by the way, his guitar has been setup flawlessly by a famous guitar tech, so the issue is definitely on the guitar.
It's really his style alone.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Dude, he IS doing it wrong, because your guitar shouldn't have strings break that often. That is a NIGHTMARE, and should never happen at a gig.
Style has nothing to do with it.

And I was talking about the original guy's English, and though I do know what he was saying, what "belongs" to the guitar is unclear. It's just poorly worded.
It sounds like he is saying that if strings are breaking, then it's because of the technique that your guitar has, or because of your technique.
yeah, i mean, of course i got the idea of the quote, but i just couldn't believe that of all the quality posts above it, you picked that one to agree with.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I was breaking the low E on my 11's at the bridge for a while. I took some fine sand paper to the slot and haven't broken a string in years since then.
I recommend the pencil trick. There are some nice graphite bridges made for Les Pauls too, but I've never tried one...so I can't personally recommend it. I've heard good things about them though.

Also, I noticed you said you have to open up a whole new pack of strings every time you break one...you can buy single strings to avoid this problem.

Good luck! I know how frustrating it is to have a string problem with a guitar....
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
When you first start playing it's easy to snap strings especially if you play hard and that's just the way it is... at that stage your technique is sloppy and your probably out of tune and using light gauge strings ... all likely to increase string breakage. But even the best playing on huge strings will still break them on occassion... the only thing you can do at a gig is try to be prepared... backup guitars are a must!

Here's Stevie to remind us at 2:42 that it can actually be an opportunity for showmanship. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWaZVchd6k
~JP~
I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky's and love them, they last, but near the end of their life I sometimes break my g string. Its never the B or little e, its always the G or D and its always at the bridge.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Jun 13, 2010,
i just broke another one, even after i smoothed the saddle AND put graphite on it. could it be my playing technique? i really dont want to have to change the way i play, im just starting to get confortable. then again it's always the bottom e string and it always breaks at the same place.
and those string sleeves people were talking about dont sound like they would work on a guitar with a stopbar tailpeice
^i didnt have any sandpaper at my house at the time so i used the finest nail file i could find

idk if this matters but i use dunlop .60mm tortex picks and the pick didnt have any sharp edges.
a lot of times sanding doesn't work. and for all the work and money put into new strings, maybe picking up a new set of saddles is the simplest solution.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62